Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alejandro González Iñárritu

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which Is Inarritu's Best Picture
Amores Perros
53.25%
21 Grams
29.87%
Babel
16.88%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Alejandro González Iñárritu

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
21 Grams.

Babel was fine and I was not that keen on the middle section of Amores Perros (comparing it to the other two parts is unimaginable, IMO).
Old 03-05-07, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdpatri
Another vote for None of the Above. After Babel, I'm done with Iñárritu. I find his visual style to be accomplished; however, in both Amores Perros and Babel the stories left me cold. None of the characters engaged me despite all the "drama" shoved in my face. Re: Babel, perhaps it was because I felt like I was being prompted to feel something. I was never allowed to casually encounter the stories due to the time constraints of presenting four plotlines. While the writing and overall production aesthetic was infinitely more engaging than Crash last year, the overall experience was similarly off-putting. Meh to all three. Give me a 90min movie about only the Moroccan story or Rinko Kikuchi's character and I'd be more interested.

Tape would probably be a better film for you to see, three characters, one room, you shouldn't get too distracted.
Old 03-05-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drop
There's no reason that should be a choice in this thread. The question is "what do you think his best film is?" not "do you like any of his films?". If you don't like any of his films you can still chose what you think his best one is, or you could not vote. I mean best does not equal good.

I've only seen 21 Grams and I thought it was pretty good. I'm interested in seeing the other ones, though. Although I'm kind of expecting to get tired of his style.
I didn't indicate it in my post, perhaps clouding my impressions, but I actually voted for 21 Grams. I do think that's easily his best effort.
Old 03-05-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by J-Dubya
Tape would probably be a better film for you to see, three characters, one room, you shouldn't get too distracted.
It's not a matter of getting distracted. It's a matter of solubility.

But, yes, I did enjoy Tape.
Old 03-29-07, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've just seen Amores Perros, and would rate it (*/*****). I admired Babel (****/*****), I absolutely LOVED 21 Grams (*****/*****) but I never had an inkling of the same reaction for Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's film debut. The writing was clunky, the editing was terrible, the stories had no sense of conclusion or resolution. Especially the second story, which was absolutely apalling in my opinion. Amores Perros didn't know whether it wanted to be a sprawling drama of interconnectivity or a spanish Pulp Fiction rip-off, and would have worked on some level if it had succeeded at one or the other. Instead, it failed at both.
Old 03-29-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for Babel, though I haven't seen Amores Perros.
Old 03-29-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, harsh review for Amores Perros. The film succeed despite the terrible supermodel plotline, which is disastrous.

jdpatri, I can see where you're coming from.
Old 12-02-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so finally got around to Babel last night and while it was a worthwhile watch would put it a distant third in his work

1) Amores Perros
2) 21 Grams
3) Babel

would love to see the first 2 on BD but I don't think that is going to happen soon
Old 12-02-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginwen
Amores Perros > 21 Grams > Babel
This. I think Amores is a great movie, 21 Grams a good one, and Babel totally, totally stinks. An overpraised, overrated, underwhelming mess of a film in love with how important and significant it *thinks* it is.
Old 12-02-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Also for None of the Above. I havent' seen Amores but both 21 Grams and Babel were very well-made films that were also preachy and manipulative to the extreme. I could feel the director pushing me the entire time to make me feel how profound he was. No subtlety to them.
Old 12-02-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Loved AP. Thought it was a near perfect film. Babel was good as well but a lot of the movie felt forced. Never saw 21 Grams but with all the admiration it seems to be getting I should check it out.
Old 12-02-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
Also for None of the Above. I havent' seen Amores but both 21 Grams and Babel were very well-made films that were also preachy and manipulative to the extreme. I could feel the director pushing me the entire time to make me feel how profound he was. No subtlety to them.

I voted for Amores, but I would only apply preachy and manipulative to Babel (Rinko Kikuchi's powerhouse performance aside). Babel went to a lot of places and used a lot of cinematic trickery to say very little.
Old 12-02-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally Posted by mike7162
I voted for Amores, but I would only apply preachy and manipulative to Babel (Rinko Kikuchi's powerhouse performance aside). Babel went to a lot of places and used a lot of cinematic trickery to say very little.
Agreed. 21 Grams was neither preachy nor manipulative and was far, far superior to Babel.

I must admit that I have not yet seen Amores.
Old 02-15-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Alejandro González Iñárritu

Originally Posted by jfoobar

I must admit that I have not yet seen Amores.
10:45 pm CST on IFC tonight (Directv channel 550) if you get it
set your dvr
Old 02-15-09, 03:50 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Iñárritu = Shamalalayan

They both peaked with their first film.
Old 02-15-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

considering Shamalamadingdong's first film sucked ..... your comparison fails
Old 02-15-09, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not exactly understanding all the distaste for Babel on here aside from the spite of its hype in 2006 and its bad-timing in following 2005's failure of a film 'Crash'.

i love all 3 films - but 21 Grams was my least favorite. the acting was certainly at its strongest, but there was less of a point with plot scrambling than to simply keep the audience on their toes. Benicio Del Toro's character was heart-wrenching at his second, more deteriorating half - but his born-again christian character was far too over-the-top. Naomi Watts was perfect, Sean Penn was great as well.

Babel somehow struck an unexplained chord with me. the only other transversal, hyperlinked plot i found to be almost as engaging and powerful was Fatih Akin's 'The Edge of Heaven' from last year. 'Babel' explored complications in communication between elders and youth as well as races/laws/establishments between countries. it was one of the most perfectly-written scripts - and the performances acted well on their own (not sure that i exactly saw these 'puppet strings' mentioned). the film left you stranded with each troubled individual, as did Amores Perros.

i cannot wait to see what Innaritu has brewing up next.
Old 02-15-09, 04:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by musick
considering Shamalamadingdong's first film sucked ..... your comparison fails
Best M. Night Shyamalan
Old 02-15-09, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've liked all of his work. What I'd like to see him do is a major film with no Guillermo Arriaga. Let's see what he can do without him. Just an FYI if you don't know, Inarritu had Arriaga banned from Cannes because of an argument over the writing credit for Babel. It was a huge thing. I REALLY REALLY wanted ask Arriaga that when I met him this Thursday. He was so nice and inspiring that I dared not ask him in lieu of probably really pissing him off about it.
Old 03-27-11, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

haven't seen Biutiful but still not happy that we are still waiting on a region 1 version of Amores on blu
Old 03-27-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by musick
haven't seen Biutiful but still not happy that we are still waiting on a region 1 version of Amores on blu

Yep, Amores Perros was a home run for me. I can remember being stuck in a hotel in downtown Chicago and looking for something to do.

I wandered upon this arthouse cinema, saw Amores Perros and was absolutely blown away.

I really enjoyed Amores Perros. I did like 21 Grams quite a bit, but not as much as the debut.

I bought Babel for some odd reason a couple years ago. I still haven't made it through the whole film yet.
Old 03-27-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Have not seen Biutiful

1. 21 Grams
2. Amores Perros
3. Babel

Last edited by inri222; 02-19-15 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-27-11, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno...over time I think the 2nd story is the weakest and keeps getting weaker for me.
Old 03-28-11, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Babel.
Old 09-09-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Originally Posted by The Antipodean
How about a choice for none? I haven't seen Amores Perros. Found 21 Grams very mediocre, Babel slightly better. He's all about style over substance, it feels like to me. The main problem I had with "Babel" is that I could feel the writer's hand in almost every scene – you shouldn't be able to see the strings that easily on the puppets. Little of it felt unforced, save perhaps the Japanese girl's storyline, which almost belonged in an entirely different movie. He's technically quite a good stylist but I haven't cared for the stories in the two movies of his I've seen at all - melodramatic and straining for unearned profoundness, IMHO.
thread bump

^ did you feel the need to post the same thing twice within about a year?

oh and 7 years later and still no BD release for 2 of these fine films

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.