DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Universal Loves Those 'Little Fockers' (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/493435-universal-loves-those-little-fockers.html)

Yavin 06-29-10 10:25 AM

Re: Universal Loves Those 'Little Fockers'

When the script includes a scene where Ben Stiller helps Robert DeNiro get rid of an erection, you know you're in trouble.

Michael Corvin 06-29-10 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 (Post 10236898)
The second was decent only to see that amazing cast. When are you ever again going to get De Niro, Streisand and Hoffman in a movie together?

Agreed. I didn't think it was near as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Good as the first? Obviously, not, but I thought Hoffman and Streisand were great together and worth the price of admission (metaphorically speaking).

Now, Little Fockers... wow, that looks painfully unfunny.

islandclaws 06-29-10 11:02 AM

Well, this is something I can clearly avoid seeing. That trailer was painful.

Jam Master Jay 07-04-10 05:14 PM

Meet the Fockers had it's moments. It's not one I have in my collection or anything but there were a few :lol: moments in it for me.

So just got around to watching the trailer for "Little Fockers" and it looks like an abomination.

Supermallet 07-04-10 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 10236451)
It seems the entire plot of this movie is seeing how far we can degrade and humiliate these characters in the name of "comedy". It's the epitome of shitty filmmaking. In lieu of actual humor, have the characters do something "shocking" or "outrageous" to keep the audience from falling asleep. I want to kick a pigeon.

See, that's how I felt about the first one. Stupid fucking movie.

Hokeyboy 07-04-10 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyMovie (Post 10236910)
omg Im looking forward to see third sequel. I seen this trailer on Entertainment Tonight and preview before Grown Ups start. can't wait.

Now imagine 40 million JohnnyMovies... that's how MEET THE FOCKERS grossed $280 million. Somehow.

Nesbit 07-04-10 09:45 PM

I would have seen the second one in the theatre if I went much anymore. The first is one of my favorite family friendly comedies that I can watch no matter what type of company I'm in. The second had it's moments and I'd be satisfied if the third was on the same level but that trailer looks like a waste of everyone's time.

Jon2 07-05-10 03:51 PM

... I want to kick a pigeon.

Now that would be funny.

Jon2 07-05-10 03:59 PM

... It seems the entire plot of this movie is seeing how far we can degrade and humiliate these characters in the name of "comedy"....

Isn't that exactly what went on in the first movie?

FWIW, Isn't that exactly how Mel Brooks defines comedy?

Brooks (paraphrased to some extent), "Tragedy is when I get a hangnail. Comedy is when YOU fall down and break a leg." rotfl

Hokeyboy 07-05-10 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jon2 (Post 10248833)
Isn't that exactly what went on in the first movie?

Nope. That is to say, not to the extent that humiliation and degradation became a fait accompli all unto itself. The first film had a story and characters from which the gags were naturally derived. By the second film, everything had degraded into Family Guy territory. By the looks of the trailer, it's more of the same. Lazy, stupid, idiotic drivel that the public seems to gleefully consume like the shitheads they are.

FWIW, Isn't that exactly how Mel Brooks defines comedy?

Brooks (paraphrased to some extent), "Tragedy is when I get a hangnail. Comedy is when YOU fall down and break a leg." rotfl
Depends. Are you the type of person who automatically thinks someone getting hit in the balls is the epitome of humor? :lol: I blame the Farrelly Brothers for this. They put "shocking", "outrageous" scatological humor onto the map, and hundreds of lamebrained imitators made a host of insipid knockoffs for YEARS afterward... including the Farrellys themselves.

I prefer Carol Burnett's "Comedy is tragedy plus time."