Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Total Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts
Re: Total Recall

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
What are you, fucking 14-years-old?? Blood and cuss words do not make a good film a great film. That movie was a failure because of the wretched story, script, and overall direction involved in it's inherent making.
Die Hard 4's sanitization definately hurt the feel of the film. As did the other stuff that sucked.
Old 08-08-12, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's not rape if she comes right?
It's not rape if they never find the body. Anything else is unnecesary semantics.
Old 08-08-12, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven

Um. No.
Old 08-08-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

17 minutes was cut out of it? Why? Seems like Wiseman has a home there w/ Sony. Thought they'd let him do whatever w/ it...guess not.

So for those of you that saw it and didn't dig it...could 17 mins help it out or are the flaws you saw just inherent to the film itself?
Only if at least 10 of those mins were entirely composed of lens flares.
Old 08-09-12, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

17 minutes was cut out of it? Why? Seems like Wiseman has a home there w/ Sony. Thought they'd let him do whatever w/ it...guess not.
Nah, most directors are required to bring a film under a certain length to maximize the number of possible theatre showings in a day (even if it's on multiple screens, five shows a day on each one is better than four on each). Sometimes a filmmaker can deliver a longer-than-agreed cut and lobby to keep it intact, but it's an uphill struggle - the studios need no excuse to cut the film down to what they want, whether the director is involved or not. Home video has made it even harder, since so many viewers have grown to expect extended or unrated cuts, and the studios can simply say "cut the film to its agreed-upon length and you can release your version on Blu-ray".

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The Rated R version of Die Hard 4 is marginally better than the PG-13 theatrical, because of the added blood and curse words.
Egad, no it isn't, come on. The only way you could say the R-rated version was better was in how the editing wasn't as crude as the PG-13 version. The CG blood adds nothing.
Old 08-14-12, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
What the what? How many action advernture movies follow a coward into hiding?
The Hunger Games was a recent one...
Old 08-14-12, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty mediocre, especially after watching the Arnold version on Blu-ray when it just came out. Just one big chase scene, and no real time to establish the characters in a way that I actually cared about them, and no real mystery as to whether it was a dream or reality which is really what made the original shine.

I agree especially with the comment that Bokeem's scene trying to convince Quaid that he was still at Recall was poor; the similar scene in the original was far, far more effective. And Ironside and Ronny Cox in the first movie were far better villains.

Dug the action, but without any of the heart or actual mental questions from Quaid, it's just not as interesting.
Old 08-14-12, 06:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this last night. Forgettable. What movie were we talking about again?
Old 08-14-12, 07:03 AM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

I thought the anti gravity scene looked cool....but correct me if I'm wrong...wouldnt all the bullets just float away as well? Not actually be projected at intended targets like normal?
Old 08-14-12, 07:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
Saw this last night. Forgettable. What movie were we talking about again?
ZOMG you've been mind wiped!
Old 08-14-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Wound up seeing this Saturday since there was nothing else to see and I wanted to use my expiring Groupon for Studio Movie Grill (which sucked BTW).

Visually, I really liked it even though it's obvious they ripped off Blade Runner without shame.

This one could have been a lot better if they spent more money on the screenplay and some better principles. Beckinsale was OK but I just didn't give a shit about anything happening to Farrell or Biel. And of course Cranston was wasted.

I did like the robot police things even if they did look like clonetroopers.
Old 08-22-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Saw this today with the wife and son. We all liked it. It wasn't the best thing we've ever seen, but it was an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours on a Wednesday afternoon.
Old 12-09-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,823 Likes on 2,740 Posts

So I rented the Unrated Director's Cut BD this weekend. My local video store put it out early.

The DC is approximately 130 minutes whereas the theatrical version was slightly under 2 hours.

I'll go over a few of the most glaring differences that I noticed:

Spoiler:
Ethan Hawke is now in the movie. He plays Hauser (Quaid's alias) The scene where Quaid/Hauser goes to his apartment and plays the piano features the video of Hawke telling Farrell's character who he really is. The theatrical version showed Farrell in that video instead. There is also an earlier scene where a news report shows a video still of Hawke as being one of the big wigs with the resistance.

Earlier in the movie when Quaid didn't go to Rekall yet, they changed an entire scene at the robot factory. I recall the theatrical version showed Quaid being passed over for a promotion. The new scene showed Quaid being interviewed by Currie Graham's character about the sensitivity of him building highly classified police robots.

The final scene after Hauser kills Kate Beckinsale's character and he's with Jessica Biel, the camera pans to his arm and we notice the stamp/tattoo from Rekall that he received earlier in the movie is now missing. Wiseman said in the commentary that he re-added that to make the viewers decide for themselves if everything that transpired in the movie was real or not. He says that it could be the stamp just washed away. But, he said he will let the viewers decide.

I enjoyed the movie alot and I will hopefully pick it up at some point.
Old 12-09-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

The movie was garbage. It started out promising enough and devolved into one witless chase scene after another. Wiseman is a hack who consistently fails at storytelling. He only knows how to make movies "look badass". Even if they're entirely flaccid.
Old 12-09-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The movie was garbage. It started out promising enough and devolved into one witless chase scene after another. Wiseman is a hack who consistently fails at storytelling. He only knows how to make movies "look badass". Even if they're entirely flaccid.
Yeah, but he's a hack with a hot wife.
Old 12-09-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So I rented the Unrated Director's Cut BD this weekend. My local video store put it out early.

The DC is approximately 130 minutes whereas the theatrical version was slightly under 2 hours.

I'll go over a few of the most glaring differences that I noticed:

Spoiler:
Ethan Hawke is now in the movie. He plays Hauser (Quaid's alias) The scene where Quaid/Hauser goes to his apartment and plays the piano features the video of Hawke telling Farrell's character who he really is. The theatrical version showed Farrell in that video instead. There is also an earlier scene where a news report shows a video still of Hawke as being one of the big wigs with the resistance.

Earlier in the movie when Quaid didn't go to Rekall yet, they changed an entire scene at the robot factory. I recall the theatrical version showed Quaid being passed over for a promotion. The new scene showed Quaid being interviewed by Currie Graham's character about the sensitivity of him building highly classified police robots.

The final scene after Hauser kills Kate Beckinsale's character and he's with Jessica Biel, the camera pans to his arm and we notice the stamp/tattoo from Rekall that he received earlier in the movie is now missing. Wiseman said in the commentary that he re-added that to make the viewers decide for themselves if everything that transpired in the movie was real or not. He says that it could be the stamp just washed away. But, he said he will let the viewers decide.

I enjoyed the movie alot and I will hopefully pick it up at some point.
I really have no idea what to do with the spoilered portion of your post, especially the first paragraph.
Old 12-09-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
I really have no idea what to do with the spoilered portion of your post, especially the first paragraph.
Okay, I'm confused. Did something in my post not make sense.
Old 12-09-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Okay, I'm confused. Did something in my post not make sense.
No no, the way you phrased it makes perfect sense.

I'm just baffled that they tweaked the story like that.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 12-09-12 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-09-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

The thing regarding:

Spoiler:

Hawke being added into the movie. I think we're supposed to assume that at some point Quaid got facial re-construction. It was probably ordered by The Chancellor, who is played by Cranston. But they never got into that. All we know is they are the same person and Hauser used to be evil. That was surprising that they changed that scene so dramatically. I didn't listen to Wiseman's commentary on that scene, so if I pick up the BD at some point, I'll have to listen to it.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-09-12 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-11-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
This. Holy crap this movie was awful.
Old 12-11-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Easily, the worst and most forgettable movie I saw this year. I saw it about two weeks ago and all I can remember is lots of running and grey.
Old 12-11-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by freshticles
Easily, the worst and most forgettable movie I saw this year. I saw it about two weeks ago and all I can remember is lots of running and grey.
And lens flares.
Old 12-12-12, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

out of curiosity, does the unrated directors cut add any additional violence/cuss words?
Old 12-12-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
out of curiosity, does the unrated directors cut add any additional violence/cuss words?
Really hard to tell. Looked about the same to me. I think parts of the story were more affected with the additional and changed scenes.
Old 12-18-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

Rented this. It was a bland as I expected it to be. The production design was interesting though. The special effects were well done. And Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel were as hot as ever, so there's that.

Mostly though a big "eh". I've watched worse movies this year.

Grade: C-

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.