Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Total Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts
Re: Total Recall

I love the three breasted woman in the remake, but in context there's no real reason why she should exist. In the first film there was - she was a fucking martian!

It's a silly nod to the original, which I am grateful for, but makes no fucking sense.
Old 08-05-12, 05:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Oh yeah, that wasn't me who was defending Battleship (lol). I never seen it. That was another poster. I'm the one that was bitchin' and moaning about TASM. My beef with Totall Recall is that it looks uninspired and when they started marketing 3T lady in their commercials, it just looked plain lazy. Don't get me wrong, I think TR was a good film to remake but when footage hit it was apparent that they didn't try to put an original spin on it. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not gonna spend money to see it in theaters. I can wait for a rental or HBO.
Ah shit, my mistake. I apologize.

Oh well. The rotten tomatoes rating alone is keeping me away from this recall. The one good thing about the remake coming out is that the original is back on TV in regular rotation, though. Pretty good movie. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid.

I don't know what it was about old Arnold movies but each one just has so much to like about it. He may not be a remarkable actor, but he sure knew how to pick projects back then, that's for damn sure.
Old 08-05-12, 05:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by troystiffler
McClane could have been like, "fuck this, Holly has life insurance".
Holy shit, this is the funniest thing I've read in awhile.
Old 08-05-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and don't even start on Bokeem Woodbine's scene in the middle of the film where he tries to convince Quaid to turn himself in. They needed a better actor to pull that scene off, which comes of as awkward. In fact when they try to give nods and take dialogue verbatim from the original, it's awkward as all hell.
Old 08-05-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw the movie with my wife and another couple last night.

It was like Total Recall meets Attack of the Clones meets Blade Runner.

Lots of action which was pretty cool, but little heart - just like what others have written.

My wife and her friend loved it much more than TDKR.
Old 08-05-12, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Saw the movie with my wife and another couple last night.

It was like Total Recall meets Attack of the Clones meets Blade Runner.

Lots of action which was pretty cool, but little heart - just like what others have written.

My wife and her friend loved it much more than TDKR.
Says something about your wife and her friends. They aren't much on the depth stuff I take it?
Old 08-05-12, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I can't believe how many of you paid to see this.
I like the original from a nostalgic standpoint but I realize now how dumb it really is. No one quotes "Get your ass to Mars" in Arnold's accent because it's a badass line. They quote it because he sounds so stupid when he says it.

However, from the trailers this one looked like it had better action (it does), better acting (it does), better effects (it does) and hotter chicks (it definitely does).

Hence, I paid to see it and don't regret it at all, even if I wished it was better than it was.
Old 08-05-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
I like the original from a nostalgic standpoint but I realize now how dumb it really is. No one quotes "Get your ass to Mars" in Arnold's accent because it's a badass line. They quote it because he sounds so stupid when he says it.

However, from the trailers this one looked like it had better action (it does), better acting (it does), better effects (it does) and hotter chicks (it definitely does).

Hence, I paid to see it and don't regret it at all, even if I wished it was better than it was.
Uh, not because he sounds stupid saying it, but because that's where the video display device gets shot up and the video glitches at that particular point.

getyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgety ourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomars

Dissolve
Old 08-05-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the first hour of the original. It has a personality. A nutty, gory, twisty, action comedy. After the first hour, it gets too goofy and has too many repetitive chases.
Old 08-05-12, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Uh, not because he sounds stupid saying it, but because that's where the video display device gets shot up and the video glitches at that particular point.

getyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgety ourasstomarsgetyourasstomarsgetyourasstomars

Dissolve
Agree to disagree. I always hear it said once, with the accent. He sounds stupid.
Old 08-05-12, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After I saw this yesterday, one of the guys working the theater asked me how I liked it compaired to the original. I liked the look of the new version, but I also felt it was very video gamelike with the constant jumping and ducking. I think overall I liked it, but I felt like I would've liked it better if I hadn't just seen the original the day before and probably about 20 times in the years since I first saw it in the theater.

I did like the nods to the original (like the fat lady at the checkpoint and the 3-breasted chick), but I felt the movie needed to have more of a "fun" component. It probably would've been torn apart more if it had stupid jokes thrown in, but with all the nods to the original, I totally expected the "consider this a divorce" line. I did like that the movie took a different approach to the plot, but I also kept wondering what man-made material would be resistant to temperatures of 5000+ degrees celcius to pass through the Earth's core.

I told the guy at the theater that I liked the original better. I hate to call the orginal a classic, but I liked how it wasn't afraid to be ultra-violent. This one whimped out with the clone robots taking the bullets.
Old 08-06-12, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
What the what? How many action advernture movies follow a coward into hiding?

Why didn't Trey just hitch a ride out of the hood?

Why didn't that principal in "Lean On Me" just quit?

McClane could have been like, "fuck this, Holly has life insurance".

No offense, dude. But you sound like a coward and a rat.
Thanks for the personal attack. It really bolsters your argument.
Old 08-06-12, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I love the three breasted woman in the remake, but in context there's no real reason why she should exist. In the first film there was - she was a fucking martian!

It's a silly nod to the original, which I am grateful for, but makes no fucking sense.
There wasn't a real reason for her to be in the first movie either. I mean, there's a reason why she exists, but there isn't really a reason why she's there... But hey, who gives a fuck?! the original was awesome. I watch it every now and then and my friends and I laugh through the whole thing.
Old 08-06-12, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
There wasn't a real reason for her to be in the first movie either. I mean, there's a reason why she exists, but there isn't really a reason why she's there...
She's a mutant. Mutants don't need hookers???
Old 08-06-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

I really disliked this movie. And I was very excited to see it. Being such a huge fan of the original not to mention the first two "Underworld" films. But this was such a mess IMO. No soul, no humor and just plain BORING. And don't get me started on the screenplay. "Why are you still fighting? You don't even know who you are!". Ugh. I'd rate it 4/10
Old 08-06-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This movie didn't do it for me. The art design of The Colony is such a blatant rip-off of Blade Runner that Ridley Scott should be receiving a royalty. And I have to disagree with the positive view of Kate's performance. I thought that she was trying way too hard to come off as a badass that I found her performance rather annoying. She is no Michael Ironside.
Old 08-06-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
This movie didn't do it for me. The art design of The Colony is such a blatant rip-off of Blade Runner that Ridley Scott should be receiving a royalty. And I have to disagree with the positive view of Kate's performance. I thought that she was trying way too hard to come off as a badass that I found her performance rather annoying. She is no Michael Ironside.
Yeah, I don't get the love for Kate's performance either. She was trying to hard.
Old 08-06-12, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparantly some people went to the theaters just to see her ass. If that's all you're looking for, consider it an Oscar worthy performance.

Last edited by Tom Creo; 08-06-12 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-06-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Plus, IMO Kate Beckinsale/Jessica Biel is a major upgrade compared to Sharon Stone and Rachel Ticotin in the hotness department.
I'll give you Biel being hotter than the brunette from the original. But in her prime I'd take Sharon Stone all day over Beckinsale. She was a stunner.

Last edited by Thrush; 08-06-12 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thrush
I'll give you Biel being hotter than Brunnette from the original. But in her prime I'd take Sharon Stone all day over Beckinsale. She was a stunner.
This. Beckinsale has the classic good looks. But Sharon Stone in her prime had that beach girl stunning look. Plus she was very icy. Great combo
Old 08-06-12, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kate Beckinsale over Sharon Stone and Rachel Ticotin. Jessica Biel over Rachel Ticotin. Sharon Stone over Jessica Biel.
Old 08-06-12, 11:35 PM
Banned

Jenna Jameson over them all.
Old 08-07-12, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wiseman mentioned a director's cut of the film with 17 minutes of restored footage and possibly the deleted scene with Ethan Hawke. I'd rent that just for Hawke.
Old 08-07-12, 04:03 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 985 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
how bout me over them all.
Old 08-07-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo

Um. No.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.