Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

G.I. Joe live action movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

G.I. Joe live action movie?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toddly6666
If you want a serious G.I. Joe movie, get Michael Mann.

Originally Posted by GuessWho
G.I. Joe will become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity"
That is probably THE dumbest fuckin' thing I've ever heard. Makes sense though, I watched the new cartoon a couple of times and they were fighting under the blue flag of the UN, and we all know how bad-ass the UN Army is.

And if I'm not mistaken, with the release of the new toys, Cobra is no longer referred to as a "terrorist organization".

They should just go all-out PC and let Michael Moore direct it!

Last edited by MartinBlank; 10-31-07 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Are we to now assume that it was Cobra who bombed the Smurfs in that UN ad campaign?

The whole UN thing is causing a minor stir: http://www.lvrj.com/opinion/10849526.html

According to the linked opinion piece, Col. Mitchell Paige had one condition when Hasbro approached him to use his likeness for the original G.I. Joe doll: that G.I. Joe always be a U.S. Marine.

I agree that the whole UN thing is dumb and sad, in a way. But hopefully the movie will turn out to be better than Transformers (but, like with that movie, my hopes aren't high).
Old 10-31-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hasbro put out a press release about all this GI Joe stuff
http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default....FAEBF95750D7E9
Hasbro’s G.I. Joe Team wanted to take this opportunity to clarify some of the facts regarding the G.I. Joe live-action movie that we are developing with Paramount Pictures.

First and foremost, we are not changing what the G.I. Joe brand is about. The name “G.I. Joe” will always be synonymous with bravery and heroism.

The G.I. Joe brand has enjoyed a successful 43-year history, spanning two key generations. The first was the line of 12-inch “realistic military” figures that were popular with kids in the 1960s and 1970s.

The second generation, was created in 1982, and is based on a cast of fictional heroes and villains that make up the “G.I. Joe vs. Cobra” fantasy. The premise of this fantasy is the story of the G.I. Joe team, led by Duke, and their “fight for freedom wherever there is trouble” against the evil Cobra Commander and his Cobra force. This storyline was an instant hit with kids in the early 1980s, spawning a highly popular 3-3/4-inch action figure line, comic book collection and animated series.

This movie will be a modern telling of the “G.I. Joe vs. Cobra” storyline and its compelling characters that Hasbro created 25 years ago. The G.I. Joe team will not be based in Brussels. Instead, they will be based out of the “Pit” as they were throughout the 1980s comic book series. And, in keeping with the G.I. Joe vs. Cobra fantasy, the movie will feature characters and locations from around the world. Duke, the lead character and head of the G.I. Joe team, will embody the values of bravery and heroism that the first generation of G.I. Joe figures established.

G.I. Joe is a very important property to Hasbro and we thank all of our fans for their enthusiasm. Without all of you, the brand would not be where it is today.

Thank you.
Old 11-01-07, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Neato press release and all, but does G.I. still stand for General Issue or not?
Old 11-20-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sienna Miller has been cast as "The Baroness"

http://imdb.com/name/nm1092227/

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
Old 11-20-07, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by Damed
Dye her hair black, and I'm sold.

Now if I can just get Ray Park as Snake Eyes
Old 11-20-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After reading that Hasbro press release it looks like they're putting a lot of thought into keeping the film accurate for the fans. And that first bit of solid casting news is alright by me as well.
Old 11-20-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

G.I. JOE movie formula a la TRANSFORMERS movie: Joes/Cobra + BILLY = box office gold?

Does anyone think that the G.I. JOE movie will follow in the same formula as the TRANSFORMERS movie? Part of the appeal and critical acclaim of TRANSFORMERS was that the story was about a boy and his car, so that audience can relate/empathize with a character. Sure this movie is gonna have all action, but don't true G.I. JOE fans want Billy - Cobra Commander's son - to be a main character in the movie? Is there any G.I. Joe fan that did not like the storyline of Billy in the G.I. Joe comics? I personally loved it and thought it was the most emotional. I know there might be too much to put in the movie, but they did it successfully with TRANSFORMERS. If Billy is treated with respect as in the comic book, he's not gonna be that annoying kid character. Billy is a great link to many of the fan favorite characters - such as Storm Shadow and Cobra Commander. And in the 80s comic and current one, Billy eventually is connected with both sides at some point.... I'm thinking that the Joes and Cobra characters are already established (sort of like in the first Joe comic - just throw them into action), but I like the idea of evolving Billy - to just a plain kid to eventually an eye-patched, metal legged kung-fu ass kicker. I don't mind if it's young Billy (80s Marvel) or older Billy (from the new G.I. Joe comics). For the movie to possibly taken seriously at some emotional level (as much emotional level as the Transformers movie of course), I don't think it's enough that the "side drama stories" going on with Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow or some Duke/Scarlett/Snake Eyes love triangle. I think that Billy is the one to bring the movie all together, just like Sam Witicky in the Transformers flick. He would be a great central character for this G.I. Joe movie and any sequels. (And in a unrelated note, this would also bring the reality of a G.I. Joe Billy action figure, which was never made. )

Anyone like this idea for this movie or sequels? Remember that this is gonna be a PG-13 film marketed towards the older fans and the kids. Why would the studio not have a kid character in this film? If they are gonna have to have a kid in the movie, at least choose the right one - Billy - to focus on.
Old 11-20-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Billy unknowingly trying to assassinate Cobra Commander is still one of my favorite stories.

However, as the Snake Eyes De-classified showed, theres a lot of good emotion when you combine Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander.

First film may be too soon for Billy. Flashbacks to him as a small boy, with The Commander building Cobra , but maybe save any real interaction for a sequel.

I recently re read Cobra Reborn from the GI Joe Reloaded/'Ultimate' series. The final scene where CC calls the president (after terrorist attacks) and every TV screen shows the Cobra Logo, would be a great way to open the movie.
Old 11-20-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From another GIJOE Movie thread, I posted this in early October:

I was at the official G.I. Joe convention this past weekend in Atlanta.

They talked about the G.I. Joe movie, and showed an interview with Stephen Sommers. He seems genuinely excited about the project.

The same production team that did Transformers is on the G.I. Joe movie. They asked for suggestions/our opinion for cast members. They are aiming for a summer 2009 release through Paramount.

This will be a "G.I. Joe vs Cobra" movie, based on the characters in the comic/tv show/action figure line.

I'm looking forward to this one!
I actually had dinner with the VP of boy's toys for Hasbro, the GIJOE brand manager and the Marketing manager for GIJOE/Transformers. They had just flown in that morning from a meeting with Paramount and Sommers regarding the movie. Lots of questions, lots of things I can't say.

Suffice to say that Hasbro has every intention of making this movie as successful as Transformers, and it was largely them that rejected the first couple scripts.
Old 11-20-07, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinBlank

That is probably THE dumbest fuckin' thing I've ever heard. Makes sense though, I watched the new cartoon a couple of times and they were fighting under the blue flag of the UN, and we all know how bad-ass the UN Army is.

And if I'm not mistaken, with the release of the new toys, Cobra is no longer referred to as a "terrorist organization".

They should just go all-out PC and let Michael Moore direct it!

This shouldn't come as a surprise coming from Paramount. One Paramount head (a female) didn't want to make a movie out of a best-selling novel involving an attempt to detonate a nuke in New York... because apparently the act of trying to stop such a disaster would be "more Bush than Bush."
Old 11-20-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toddly6666
G.I. JOE movie formula a la TRANSFORMERS movie: Joes/Cobra + BILLY = box office gold?

Does anyone think that the G.I. JOE movie will follow in the same formula as the TRANSFORMERS movie? Part of the appeal and critical acclaim of TRANSFORMERS was that the story was about a boy and his car, so that audience can relate/empathize with a character. Sure this movie is gonna have all action, but don't true G.I. JOE fans want Billy - Cobra Commander's son - to be a main character in the movie? Is there any G.I. Joe fan that did not like the storyline of Billy in the G.I. Joe comics? I personally loved it and thought it was the most emotional. I know there might be too much to put in the movie, but they did it successfully with TRANSFORMERS. If Billy is treated with respect as in the comic book, he's not gonna be that annoying kid character. Billy is a great link to many of the fan favorite characters - such as Storm Shadow and Cobra Commander. And in the 80s comic and current one, Billy eventually is connected with both sides at some point.... I'm thinking that the Joes and Cobra characters are already established (sort of like in the first Joe comic - just throw them into action), but I like the idea of evolving Billy - to just a plain kid to eventually an eye-patched, metal legged kung-fu ass kicker. I don't mind if it's young Billy (80s Marvel) or older Billy (from the new G.I. Joe comics). For the movie to possibly taken seriously at some emotional level (as much emotional level as the Transformers movie of course), I don't think it's enough that the "side drama stories" going on with Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow or some Duke/Scarlett/Snake Eyes love triangle. I think that Billy is the one to bring the movie all together, just like Sam Witicky in the Transformers flick. He would be a great central character for this G.I. Joe movie and any sequels. (And in a unrelated note, this would also bring the reality of a G.I. Joe Billy action figure, which was never made. )

Anyone like this idea for this movie or sequels? Remember that this is gonna be a PG-13 film marketed towards the older fans and the kids. Why would the studio not have a kid character in this film? If they are gonna have to have a kid in the movie, at least choose the right one - Billy - to focus on.
WOW I had COMPLETELY forgotten about Billy!
Old 11-21-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the first pic of Sienna Miller in Baroness costume!!!!!!
http://www.thumbnailcafe.com/viewFol...sel&s=80645500
Old 11-22-07, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
They got the glasses all wrong. They've totally ruined the essence of the Baroness.

I kid. I am curious to see how they will actually make her look.
Old 11-22-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

RocShemp, haha, i did that Baroness mock-up (or muck up) very quickly in Paint...I think she'll be great as Baroness. I would love to see this film be filmed all in europe/UK and have all European/UK actors to prove that you don't need an American actor or an actual American background to make such a movie based on a highly patriotic American cartoon. That's what Vaughn is planning to do with the Thor movie since everyone is striking in the USA. I really think that the G.I. Joe movie will be better with all UK/European/Australian actors...
Old 11-23-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-05-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OMG I almost jumped up and screamed here at work:

---------------------------------

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/071205g.php

"X-Men" and "Star Wars" actor Ray Park has been cast as Snake Eyes in Stephen Sommer's big screen live-action adaptation of "G.I. Joe" reports Slashfilm.

Snake Eyes is one of the original members of the GI Joe series although not much is known about the ninja master's real identity as it has remained classified throughout the series. The U.S. Army Sergeant First Class (E-7) is known for his stealth like movements and extensive knowledge of multiple forms of martial arts.

Snake-Eyes is romantically involved with fellow G.I. Joe member Master Sergeant Shana M. O'Hara, a.k.a. Scarlett. The project will hit theaters on August 7th 2009.

--------------------

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Awesome news about Snake Eyes!

Now get Donnie Yen for Storm Shadow!
Old 12-05-07, 07:39 PM

Yep,

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Awesome news about Snake Eyes!

Now get Donnie Yen for Storm Shadow!
had to co-sign on that! BTW, Thomas Jane was in Wizard and talked about they offered him a role in this. I wonder if he was Flint or Duke?
Old 12-05-07, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Linn1
had to co-sign on that! BTW, Thomas Jane was in Wizard and talked about they offered him a role in this. I wonder if he was Flint or Duke?
I could see him as Flint. More cocky and edgy, rather than straight arrow Duke.
Old 12-05-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thomas Jane would be amazing as Flint. Although I do admit I could see him as Duke. Hmm, conundrum....
Old 12-05-07, 11:25 PM

I know this will never happen, and it's probably completely unpopular, but I say leave out Storm Shadow from the first movie.

Focus on Cobra Commander, Destro, and the Baroness all scheming against each other. Introduce the JOE's. Have Snake Eyes be a complete bad-ass but leave out Storm Shadow. Introducing him would be too much.

If this movie does well, and after Transformers there's no reason why it wouldn't, in the sequel, THAT'S when you focus on Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes.

Ideally, after the conflict is over in the first movie, right before the credits roll, or even after the credits, you could introduce Storm Shadow in a brief kick-ass scene and alude to his relationship with Snake Eyes. Giving the audience a teaser for the next movie.

But like I said, that will never happen. Storm Shadow is just too damn popular and the fans would never stand for it, even though, from a story perspective, I think it makes much more sense and would be a much better idea. Save some POW for the next movie...

Last edited by SiberianLlama; 12-05-07 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Somewhere theres an old thread where I was the first to state Ray would be the perfect Snake Eyes.... fuck I wonder how long ago that was.
Old 12-06-07, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Park as Snake Eyes Thomas Jane coming aboard? I'm still keeping my hopes for this one at an all time low due to 2 words: Stephen Sommers.
Old 12-06-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
Save some POW for the next movie...
GI Joe 2: Rise of the Dreadnoks

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.