Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Lucas says Empire is the worst Star Wars movie...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

George Lucas says Empire is the worst Star Wars movie...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First he rapes my childhood, now this! Once again George Lucas has F'ed me in the A!!!
Old 02-19-07, 04:02 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can thank the prequels for one thing though! Making Jedi look like a masterpiece in comparison, and further solidifying the greatest trilogy of all time.
Old 02-19-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by Brain Stew
I don't remember people saying that Empire was the best movie until Clerks came out....
No way. Everyone I knew thought Empire was the best way before Clerks. What's funny is even as kids, we would discuss the order of the "best" Star Wars movie and Jedi always came in last while Empire was usually first (but many still putting Star Wars first) with most opinions. When talking "movies" with friends as a teenager & young adult, this topic came up many times, way before Clerks.

Clerks did not create this opinion. Clerks just referenced the many conversations that all movie & Star Wars nerds had on this subject. And remember, Randal and Dante disagree. One likes Empire and the other likes Jedi. Hardly a ringing endorsement that Empire is the better picture.

Randal Graves: Which did you like better? "Jedi" or "The Empire Strikes Back"?
Dante Hicks: "Empire".
Randal Graves: Blasphemy.
Dante Hicks: "Empire" had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.
Cool. I just had a movie nerd conversation.
Old 02-19-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I was a kid my friends always debated between Empire and Jedi. We would swing back and forth between, and we never really decided which was better. For some reason the original never was thought of as being better.
Old 02-19-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/a...2/oh_yeah.html

The blogger was at a luncheon where Lucas was presenting a publicist award to Sid Ganis.

He says Ganis was the reason why ESB is so highly regarded, even though it's the worst one...

Enjoy!
George just thinks that because it's the movie he had to tinker the least with when it came to his CGI re-visionings.
Old 02-19-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
This is fanboy fodder...have fun guys lol
I believe you meant 'Bantha Podo'.
Old 02-19-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I haven't seen the "prequels" yet, I hear that Revenge of the Sith was fantastic, and redeemed George Lucas in the eyes of his fans after the Terrible Two's (The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones).

In your eyes, in light of Revenge of the Sith being the best of the "prequels," how would you rate it against The Empire Strikes Back, the best of the "originals?"
Old 02-19-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotblog/a...2/oh_yeah.html

The blogger was at a luncheon where Lucas was presenting a publicist award to Sid Ganis.

He says Ganis was the reason why ESB is so highly regarded, even though it's the worst one...

Enjoy!
He is delusional. Obviously the two movies with Jar Jar Binks are the worst ones. Phantom Menace is only slightly better than Attack of the Clones because it doesn't have that stupid lovey dovey dialogue between Annie and his chick.
Old 02-19-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
While I haven't seen the "prequels" yet, I hear that Revenge of the Sith was fantastic, and redeemed George Lucas in the eyes of his fans after the Terrible Two's (The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones).

In your eyes, in light of Revenge of the Sith being the best of the "prequels," how would you rate it against The Empire Strikes Back, the best of the "originals?"
The last 40 minutes of Attack Of The Clones is my absolute favorite 40 minutes (in a row) of any Star Wars film. I'd say ROTS is just as good as Empire, if not, better. The original Star Wars is my overall favorite SW film though.
Old 02-19-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mllefoo
Phantom Menace is only slightly better than Attack of the Clones because it doesn't have that stupid lovey dovey dialogue between Annie and his chick.
Yeah, but it also had Jar Jar which was way more stupid than any poorly written dialogue.
Old 02-19-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess you guys should team up and make sci fi movie, you surely know what it takes to make blockbuster
Old 02-19-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rogue588

It sounds real to me!!!!11
I love that video.
Old 02-19-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Did he forget about Attack of the Clones?
Old 02-19-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by madara
I guess you guys should team up and make sci fi movie, you surely know what it takes to make blockbuster

Old 02-19-07, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TPM is the best movie by far. ESB is the worst.

Old 02-19-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazam
TPM is the best movie by far. ESB is the worst.

Apparently George Lucas lurks here!

Old 02-19-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If Empire is the "worst" according to Lucas, it might be because that was the one where he had the least involvement. Irvin Kershner and Lawrence Kasdan added a lot of creative moments that Lucas didn't think of and didn't think much of.

Lucas, for the most part, killed the prequels because he clumsily decided to tie in every nook and cranny to the classic trilogy with unnecessary scenes, metaphor, and bad dialog that over-explained way too much. Had he taken a more subtle approach, like the young Indy sequence in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Anakin's backstory might have been a little more palatable.
Old 02-20-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know (or think I know) that Luke and Princess Laia (sp) are brother and sister. Since I recently watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back on HBO, and there was no mention of the connection, I guess the revelation came in Return of the Jedi - but how did the revelation come about? Obviously Darth Vader had no idea he had his own daughter about to be put to death in the original film, so when does Vader get the knowledge? At the same time as Luke? Does Ben reveal this?

do I have to wait until HBO airs Return of the Jedi?
Old 02-20-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I know (or think I know) that Luke and Princess Laia (sp) are brother and sister. Since I recently watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back on HBO, and there was no mention of the connection, I guess the revelation came in Return of the Jedi - but how did the revelation come about? Obviously Darth Vader had no idea he had his own daughter about to be put to death in the original film, so when does Vader get the knowledge? At the same time as Luke? Does Ben reveal this?

do I have to wait until HBO airs Return of the Jedi?
Creatively, the decision was made by Lucas when writing Return of the Jedi. I guess he figured it was a convenient way to wrap up the love triangle and also add another twist to the storyline after the "I am your father" revelation in Empire.

As far as Vader finding out, he discovered Leia's origins while reading Luke's thoughts when he was hiding during their duel on the Death Star. One would assume he learned about Luke between Star Wars and Empire, although Lucas in his infinite wisdom decided to retcon that in the DVD Special Edition of Empire by having Palpatine tell Vader.
Old 02-20-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What - the fact that Luke's last name was Skywalker didn't trigger it for Anikin?
Old 02-20-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
The Empire Strikes Back on HBO, and there was no mention of the connection
It was vaguely hinted that there's another jedi hope besides Luke...

"No, there is another."

--Yoda in ESB, after Luke leaves Dagobah
Old 02-20-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

[quote}What - the fact that Luke's last name was Skywalker didn't trigger it for Anikin?[/quote]
When is it not triggered? Vader knows all along in ESB--he can even feel Luke's presence on Hoth "("Skywalker is there").
Old 02-20-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
although Lucas in his infinite wisdom decided to retcon that in the DVD Special Edition of Empire by having Palpatine tell Vader.
When Doughboy said that the SE had Palpatine tell Vader, that means Vader didn't put two and two together on his own.
Old 02-20-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we could see a Vader thought bubble during that scene it's say "Well duh, Palpy!!"
Old 02-20-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess that the "prequels" explain how Luke and Laura, er I mean, Luke & Leia got separated at birth. And I suppose it also explains who Luke's "Aunt" and "Uncle" were - the people who raised him. Were they really Luke's blood relatives? And if so, on whose side - his father's side or his mother's side?

I'm almost positive this is not explained in the original Star Wars.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.