Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name The Single Most Emotionally Moving Scene In A Movie..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Name The Single Most Emotionally Moving Scene In A Movie..

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
since it actually happened, it strikes home a little more...
Originally Posted by ianholm
The scene in Black Hawk Down where the two snipers voluntarily dropped down into the crash site to protect the downed pilot and then slowly got overrun. Man, that was sucky to say the least.
Old 02-21-07, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well scene in Red Beard.
Old 02-21-07, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be the nth person to mention the "Superman" scene The Iron Giant.

I know an earlier poster was joking about the scene near the end of Click, but I just watched that the other night, and that part really got to me.

The coda to Schindler's List

The Shawshank Redemption - "...hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies..."

The final scene in Big Fish

I'm a sap, so there are a lot of movies that get me teary eyed.
Old 02-21-07, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
To Kill A Mockingbird - from the Boo Radley moment and on to "... and Aticus would be with him all night long"

It is also very tough for me to watch "One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest" and the ending -this one is real tough - of "Chinatown" Man!

JANK
Old 02-21-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In My Cousin Vinny, when Billy (Ralph Macchio) is hugging Vinny (Joe Pesci) after the trial because he's grateful to be a free man, Billy looks over at Judge Chamberlain Haller with this look...this look like, fuck you, man, you was going to kill my life, but you couldn't do it.

That look was so perfect, and so ... I don't know, so real, that I understood that while this film was a out-and-out comedy, two innocent boys' lives were at stake, and Judge Chamberlain Haller was going to be the one to do them in.

Billy felt vindication, I think. We all felt vindicated.
Old 02-21-07, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by bdshort
I'll be the nth person to mention the "Superman" scene The Iron Giant.
The Iron Giant is a masterpiece. The scene you reference stayed with me for days after I first saw it, and it even moved me to basically write an essay/reflection piece about it.
Old 02-21-07, 08:54 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts
That one shot in Bicycle Theives. If you've seen it, you know the shot.
Old 02-21-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with the Iron Giant one. The invasion scene in Saving Private Ryan gets me too.

A few others, very cheesy, but they get me: Rudy and Braveheart(freedom)
Never Ending Story
Spoiler:
When Artex goes down

Good Will Hunting
Spoiler:

When Robin Williams grabs Will Hunting and says "you ever disrespect my wife again and I will end you, you got that cheif" (or something like that)
Old 02-21-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd like to say the last half of Dancer in the Dark, culminating in the hanging of Selma (Bjork).

I'll also second the ending to Big Fish.
Old 02-21-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
the pivotal scene in 'Scent of a Woman' towards the end in the hotel room...you guys know what I'm talkin' bout...

I'M IN THE DARK CHARLEY...
Old 02-21-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone remember the movie Without A Trace about the kidnapped boy? I think Judd Hirsch was in it. The final scene where they're reunited makes my heart burst.
Old 02-21-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Giovanni Ribisi's death scene in Saving Private Ryan, especially when he starts calling out for his mother.
Old 02-21-07, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by pdinosaur
I'd like to say the last half of Dancer in the Dark, culminating in the hanging of Selma (Bjork).

I'll also second the ending to Big Fish.
Can we put a spoiler tag on that Dancer in the Dark scene?
Old 02-21-07, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Loc Nar
The Iron Giant is a masterpiece. The scene you reference stayed with me for days after I first saw it, and it even moved me to basically write an essay/reflection piece about it.
Seems like the thread's question has actually been answered. This would definitely be the first thought of what scene made me cry involuntarily. The only other movie I can think of that's almost this moving (for me) was The Fountain. I had tears streaming down the sides of my face for half of that movie, but at least I could talk afterward.
I remember when I got my GF at the time to go see Iron Giant (second time for me) and we were exiting the theater (I warned her that she'd cry ). I went to comment on the movie and couldn't talk because my breath was being released in sob like, convulsive gulps. Took about five minutes to get control of my diaphragm again. And yet...I was frikkn' ecstatic.
Old 02-21-07, 06:22 PM

Oh man...

1-Have to aggree, "oh captain, my captain." Watched that in highschool and totally pretended that I was not balling my eyes out, but everyone knows that it's even more apparrent when holding it back.

2- Oh man, Legends of the Fall - The scene where the younger brother is blind from mustard gas and tanggled in the barb wire and desperatley calling out for his brother to no avail....man.

3-Finding Neverland - The whole freakin' thing....although I was fyling on a redeye and utterly exhausted.

4-Neverending Story - Atrayu looses Artax...not cool.

5-Platoon - No crying, but utter dispair
Old 02-21-07, 08:32 PM

American History X - the scene when the brothers take down the Nazi crap on their walls.

I had a lot of racist/stereotypical views through high school and early in college. Then I took some time off from school and eventually went back to college and got to know people from other races I got over my views and learned to accept people for who they are. I saw the movie for the first time after changing my views so its always an emotional scene for me...as well as the ending.
Old 02-21-07, 08:40 PM

"Tender Mercies" with Robert Duvall at the window, singing
"Wings of a Dove"

Last edited by cornyt; 02-21-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 09:06 PM

For me:

Armageddon: The return home.

Band of Brothers: The interviews.

Big Fish: The ending sequence and the funeral.

Iron Giant: Yes, Superman. Just a fantastic movie.

The Last of the Mohicans: "Promentory" musical arrangement (the violin is phenomenal) that starts at the sacrifce/burning of Duncan and the chasing along the cliffs to Chingachgook's revenge.

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King: At the end Frodo attempts to bow but Aragorn stops him and states, "Friends, you bow to no one" and bows himself. Also, when Frodo and friends return to the Shire and are having a drink in the tavern; the music is very moving as they look at each other and know in their hearts nothing will ever be the same. It gets me everytime.

Schindler's List: The memorial.

The Shawshank Redemption: The last thirty minutes or so of Red's narration and his realization of hope.

Stand By Me: The quiet walk home and the "split-up".
Old 02-21-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by devynal
For me:

Band of Brothers: The interviews.
When they interviewed one of the soldiers daughters I almost blubbered it was so emotional. But every interview, the way these guys would talk about there comrades was just amazing. The modesty and admiration for everyone else was beyond explaination
Old 02-21-07, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Empire of the Sun has quite a few for me.
- Jim saying that he doesn't remember what his mom looks like.
- Jim trying to bring Mrs. Victor back to life
- Jim singing as the kamikaze pilots prepare to take off.

But more than anything, his final reunion with him mom. Reduces me to a puddle.

But there are quite a few others:

-"Superman" scene in Iron Giant (this generation's Old Yeller)
- The final scene of West Side Story
- Timothy Hutton's breakthrough in Ordinary People (esp. w/ the Canon in D playing over it)
- Dustin Hoffman racing his injured child through the streets of New York in Kramer vs. Kramer
- Ed Harris trying to revive Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio in The Abyss
- The end of It's a Wonderful Life.
- David Tomilson wandering through the streets of London on his way to being canned in Mary Poppins.
- The flower girl realizing who her benefactor was in City Lights.

- And of course, who can forget this one:

"But Charlie. Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted."
"What happened?"
"He lived happily ever after."

Now excuse me for a moment. It must be raining.....
Old 02-21-07, 11:17 PM

The Sixth Sense when Cole tells his mom that the answer the her question "Do I make you proud?" was "everyday".
Old 02-22-07, 01:24 AM

The Fellowship of the Ring Boromir's last stand

The Return of the King - Sam: "Then let us be rid of it... once and for all... C'mon Mr. Frodo... I can't carry for you... but I can carry you! C'mon!"

The ending sequence in Band of Brothers when they're playing baseball, and Winters is narrating, telling what happened to everyone who survived the war.

The "sing along" scene in Magnolia
Old 02-22-07, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think we have this sort of question before a few times but here are a few of mine.

Titantic-At the end when the ships designer is redoing the time on the clock. The fact that no one listened to him and this is the only thing he can do for his ship

Fearless- at the end in the plane crash and Jeff Bridges looks at the child. We all know it will never be that peaceful if it was to happen to us!

United 93- Once again it was the end, it was not a packed screening but you could hear other people crying, but I think it was the scene when the plane takes of, the feeling of dread that this is when it starts to end.

JFK-just watching this again last night and I think its the build-up to when they show the tape in the courtroom for the 1st time, we have seen it before but I think it's the music and everything fills you with dread.
Old 02-22-07, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
The end of 'Pay It Forward' when Spacey & Hunt open the front door to all those people holding candles always gets me, especially with the music playing in the background (I want to say it was Sarah McLachlan's "Angels", but not 100%)
Actually, it was "Calling All Angels" by Jane Sibbery with KD Lang. Do agree whenever I hear that song I start thinking about the end of the movie and beginning to get a little misty.
Old 02-22-07, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
- And of course, who can forget this one:

"But Charlie. Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted."
"What happened?"
"He lived happily ever after."
Good call. I hadn't even considered this one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.