Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bridge to Terabithia - a MUST-see for families!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bridge to Terabithia - a MUST-see for families!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I must have missed them in BTT. I didn't like the movie, but was expecting something else. But I didn't see any Christian themes in it. Admitedly, I wasn't looking, but it seemed more like the "Do good things and go to heaven" type theme to me.

Can you give some examples?
I must agree with Dave here, shocking I know!

I didn't sense any Christian themes in the movie either, but then again, I wasn't looking for them either. The only sense of religion I got was the church scene and I think that was put in to show that not everyone views the Bible the same way or looks at religion the same way.

Spoiler:
While I have no problem with the third act, I wonder if it would have been better if Jess and Leslie had become high school sweethearts, gotten married, had kids and one day took their kids back to the woods and shown them Teribithia.

The acting by all of the actors were uniformly excellent, especially Josh and Anna Sophia. Josh is one of the better up and coming actors today and Anna Sophia is in the vein of Dakota Fanning in that she acts mature beyond her years.

A pleasant surprise from Disney. 3 1/2 stars out of 4.
Old 03-03-08, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I just watched this movie and really liked it for the most part. The main problem I had was I picked it up as a Narnia movie but I got a Pan's Labyrinth lite. I want a grand adventure through magically lands but got bullies and death and a kick in the teeth. It was odd seeing DG in this movie also and not having her take us to the O.Z.
Old 03-04-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
A very moving and emotional movie.
Well said.
I Just watched this on BD and I absolutely loved it. This movie will be very welcome in my DVD collection.
Old 03-04-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts
I recently caught it too (on DVD). I read enough reviews to know that the marketing was a lie, so I was ready for it. It's still a shame Disney had to do that though. And after getting reamed by just about every critic for their deception (with the movie still getting critical acclaim), Disney had a chance to correct the mistake for home video. But no ... the DVD cover has smiling kids, surrounded by magical creatures, with the heading "From the makers of Narnia!"

But I really liked the movie ... maybe a 8 out of 10 for me. A couple things held it back from being a masterpiece for me. The director did a competent job, but in the hands of a master this material really could've been raised to the next level. And there were too many soulless Disney tween pop crap songs on the soundtrack - they seemed to do their best to lower things down to a made-for-tv special. But the performances were really winning, and the movie really earns it dramatic power in the last 20 minutes. BTW, I had no experience with the book. And even though I read reviews I didn't have the mega-spoiler at the end given away.
Old 12-18-08, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I just watched this movie and really liked it for the most part. The main problem I had was I picked it up as a Narnia movie but I got a Pan's Labyrinth lite. I want a grand adventure through magically lands but got bullies and death and a kick in the teeth. It was odd seeing DG in this movie also and not having her take us to the O.Z.
Th-th-th-th-thread bump.

I don't know, I think this movie was an accurate representation of playing make believe as a kid. I remember doing the sorts of things Jess and Leslie did in the movie. The Bee's were enemies, acorns were bombs, we pretended that certain shoes made us run faster...all of that stuff really rang true for me. When using your imagination as a kid, you always have one foot in the real world, and another in the world you're making up. If they went full bore fantasy, I think the movie would have lost something. I liked how they just had the elements of fantasy in the forest, without the kids going to a palace or meeting the denizens of Terabithia.

I can definitely see how you thought it was like a Narnia movie, as other have said, they did a terrible job marketing this movie. I just watched it today, and was completely taken by surprise with what I got. I kept waiting for the "quest" to begin. I really enjoyed Pan's, and while that is more sophisticated than this movie was, I think Bridge had a heart and innocence that was lost in Pan's due to how extreme that movie went.

I completely fell in love with Leslie and Jess, and that doesn't really happen all to often with me. Bridge to Teribithia, surprisingly good.
Old 12-18-08, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw this in theaters nearly 2 years ago (or whenever it came out) and enjoyed it at the time. Not enough to watch again, but it was a fun little movie.

My ex enjoyed it more since she had just read the book it's based on when we were killing time in a bookstore, and I've never read it.

I kept expecting Robert Patrick to just turn in to the T-1000 and slice the kid up when he was giving him lip.
Old 12-18-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed this movie. Sad too.
Old 12-18-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Whereas I did enjoy the film, I'm pretty sure I remember a time when I created an entire magical world outside of my tree house complete with monstrous troll.

I believe ecstasy was in play.