Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

VERY NICE! Borat 2!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

VERY NICE! Borat 2!!!

Old 02-08-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VERY NICE! Borat 2!!!

As reported in the Financial Times, London...

-------------------------

High five! Murdoch signs up Borat 2
By Aline van Duyn in New York

Published: February 8 2007 17:03 | Last updated: February 8 2007 17:03

Sacha Baron Cohen has signed up to do a sequel to his popular Borat movie based on the controversial Kazach journalist, according to Rupert Murdoch, chairman and chief executive of News Corp, whose film division last year released the first Borat film.

Mr Baron Cohen is currently working on a film to follow Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, but it will be based on another one of his characters, Bruno, a gay Austrian fashion show presenter.

Universal Studios won the rights to the new film last year. However, once that is completed, Mr Baron Cohen will “come back and do Borat Two,” Mr Murdoch said during an interview at a conference in New York.

The revelation of plans for another Borat movie, which have not been announced by Mr Murdoch’s film studios or Mr Baron Cohen, will come as some surprise as the huge popularity of Borat has led people to believe it would be hard for the character to continue to fool people into speaking to him.

Mr Murdoch said his 20th Century Fox film division did look at buying the rights to the Bruno movie but that they were not prepared to outbid rivals as Mr Baron Cohen “would not even show us the script”.

The Borat movie has generated huge earnings for News Corp, and its film division reported record earnings on Wednesday.

Mr Murdoch, speaking at a conference organised by McGraw-Hill, said he had seen the first Borat movie three times and “laughed like hell”.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2007
Old 02-08-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Can it be any funnier the second time around? I think not.
Old 02-08-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, this is a bad idea. Honestly, I'm not a fan of the first one. Thought it was kind of funny in parts, but I just don't think it's as funny as lots of people do.

However, I don't see how he'll go out and film his skits without being recognized by everyone, unless he films the entire movie in a retirement home. His face has been plastered on billboards, busses, and he has been all over the news, awards shows, etc...
Old 02-08-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How can they even do it? Everyone knows he's not for real now.
Old 02-08-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it was hilarious to me, but i don't see anyone falling for Borat again when they are filming.
Old 02-08-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't see how they could do it again either, unless they just use leftovers from the first film. Didn't they have a ton of unused footage?
Old 02-08-07, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
He played Borat on his show for how long? And still managed to fool people...Why can't he do it again, especially as a new character?
Old 02-08-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by benh911
And still managed to fool people...Why can't he do it again, especially as a new character?
New character?

Accordng to the article above, after he finishes the now-filming "Bruno" movie, he will do Borat again.
Old 02-08-07, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure he can still pull of the Borat character in many parts of the Midwest.
Old 02-08-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'm sure he can still pull of the Borat character in many parts of the Midwest.
I think you might be right.

I'm really looking forward to the Bruno film.
Old 02-08-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
He played Borat on his show for how long? And still managed to fool people...Why can't he do it again, especially as a new character?

I had no idea who Borat was prior to the movie

I didn't find the first one as funny as many people thought, but if can manage to do the same i'm sure it will be entertaining.
Old 02-08-07, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
New character?

Accordng to the article above, after he finishes the now-filming "Bruno" movie, he will do Borat again.

Ok, I guess I just read the OP's post way too quickly... I thought he was saying he would do the Borat 2 as Bruno, which I guess wouldn't make too much sense.

Last edited by benh911; 02-08-07 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-08-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Played Borat in an HBO series and a BBC series. Not exactly the highest in terms of actual ratings grabbing. Your general joe six pack (woah, haven't said that in a while) didn't know him or didn't care. Especially since said show was advertised as the Ali G show.

Now his face is everywhere and it will be tougher to get around without being recognized. I'll still watch it.
Old 02-09-07, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Played Borat in an HBO series and a BBC series. Not exactly the highest in terms of actual ratings grabbing. Your general joe six pack (woah, haven't said that in a while) didn't know him or didn't care. Especially since said show was advertised as the Ali G show.

Now his face is everywhere and it will be tougher to get around without being recognized. I'll still watch it.

True, true...I definetely see what everyone's saying...there always dumb people out there though...
Old 02-09-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't see how this will work either. He is far too recognizable now.
Old 02-09-07, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
I can't see how this will work either. He is far too recognizable now.
All he needs is a pair of glasses. Works for Superman.
Old 02-09-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Murdoch didn't know what he was talking about

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/za...news-headlines

I'm sure eventually we may see a sequel, but nothing is inked as of now.
Old 02-09-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't even think Bruno will work either, nevermind Borat 2.
Old 02-09-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts
I think he needs to do another one to pay off all the people suing him that were in the 1st one.
Old 02-09-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts
Perhaps he won't be back in America for the second one, like Joe Millionaire.
Old 02-09-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I don't even think Bruno will work either, nevermind Borat 2.
I tend to agree. To me, Borat was by far the funniest character, light years ahead of Ali G and Bruno. I do like Bruno, but in very small doses. I really don't like Ali G at all.
Old 02-10-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
I think he needs to do another one to pay off all the people suing him that were in the 1st one.
That's assuming they win suits that, despite what the plaintiffs accuse, essentially boil down to the fact that they came off looking like bozos on screen, primarily because of their own behavior. If they had been shown in a positive light, do you think they'd still be suing?
Old 02-11-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by printerati
Perhaps he won't be back in America for the second one, like Joe Millionaire.
That was my first thought. Maybe he'll be in another country.

= J
Old 02-11-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think you could still find tons of people who don't know who Borat is. My Mom and Dad, and their respective mates, still don't know who he is and I'm sure lots of people 40+ don't know who he is. It'll just take a little more work to dig them out.
Old 02-11-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I think you could still find tons of people who don't know who Borat is. My Mom and Dad, and their respective mates, still don't know who he is and I'm sure lots of people 40+ don't know who he is. It'll just take a little more work to dig them out.
Yeah, I guess they could go around and try. When making the first one, they probably ran into a few people who did know who he was, so they couldn't do bits with those. This time, they'll get a lot more people who know, but they should be able to get enough who don't for a film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.