Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

3:10 to Yuma Remake '07 (Crowe, Bale)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

3:10 to Yuma Remake '07 (Crowe, Bale)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FinkPish
I saw this tonight and was really impressed. I really liked the original, and was surprised to see them change the ending, but I thought this ending worked for this version.
How did the original end?
Old 09-16-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 157 Posts
Oh snap I think I did see it in digital as well... I kept thinking how crisp and clear everything looked.

Solid film, unfortunately I was having a hard time staying awake, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I could've.... but looking forward to watching it again on Blu-Ray. I also didn't care for the cameo... but everything else was pretty top notch. It was more low-key than I was expcecting, but still good.
Old 09-16-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got to the theater to see this today and really enjoyed. i thought bale and crowe gave great performances and they made for an exciting feature. although i didn't see the org. picture, so i don't know how it ended, i liked the end of this one, even though it was sad.
Old 09-16-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by minguy
How did the original end?
The original ends with
Spoiler:
the same run through the town, but then they both manage to jump on the train through the steam of the engine, so none of Ben Wade's guys can get a shot at them. At that point, I think Wade tells Evans that he's escaped from Yuma prison twice, so Wade was essentially letting Evans put him on the train to retain Evan's honor and dignity. Essentially the same idea as the new ending but played out very differently. Also, his son never tags along at any point, he stays at home with his mom and brother to watch the farm. So when Evans is abandoned, it's just him and Wade at the end.
Old 09-17-07, 07:47 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Interesting little story, I'll tell the short version.

Friend of mine, just a regular Joe who I used to play football with, ended up going to an extra casting call in this area a few years back. Ended up getting a few parts, even got some background screen time in a couple things. Does it maybe once a year.

Gets a call last week, they like his look so he goes back for a costume fitting. A couple days later goes in for the filming. It turns out to be his most involved part ever. No lines yet, but he actually spends all day on set with one of the principals, chatting and snacking, real nice guy he says. He even gets direction on his scenes from the actual director of the film, the scene involves unspoken interaction between him and the principal, and at least one close up of his face was shot. Going back today for more shooting.

The director? Ridley Scott. The principal? Russell Crowe.
Old 09-17-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts
That lucky mofo
Old 09-17-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts
I saw this yesterday and I liked it quite a bit.

But I hated how they changed the ending. It makes the whole movie a little pointless by ending it that way. They remained so faithful to the original that they stole about 20% of the dialogue! I just don't get why, if they were going to be that faithful to the original, why they changed the ending!

I watched the original again last night, and was amazed at just how much of the original script they put in the new version.

I like the new version better overall, but I like the original ending better.
Old 09-19-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,175 Posts
Saw this last night and I must say, I've been really enjoying Westerns they've made over the last few years. I'm also realizing that I really like Crowe in period films like this and Master and Commander. Seeing Gretchen Mol and Peter Fonda in this film was great and I kinda wished they both had bigger roles but what are you gonna do. Bale is "the man" to me so I loved his performance and what his character was trying to do and why he was doing it.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-19-07 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 01:48 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really enjoyed this film, but for me the third act was actually a bit of a let down. It's like they built up the odds against Bale's character so much they had no choice but to go with a sort of deus ex machina situation crossed with almost comic-book action. It was fun, but sort of a betrayal to the smooth tension and build up of the first 2/3.
Old 09-23-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
I didn't care for the end very much.
Old 10-02-07, 03:24 AM
Banned

Even though Crowe and Bale were awesome, I have to wonder how the Tom Cruise/Erica Bana casting would've changed this movie.
Old 10-02-07, 07:38 AM

After I watched it I was a bit amazed about all the positive reviews I had read before. I didn't find anything particular to like in this film. Ben Foster was the only thing that kept me glued to the screen.
Old 10-14-07, 02:33 PM
Banned

I loved this.

Question for anyone who has read Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle: Did Ben Wade not remind you of Half Cocked Jack Shaftoe? I just couldn't shake the similarity.

Loved it.
Old 10-14-07, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Legolas
I have to wonder how the Tom Cruise/Erica Bana casting would've changed this movie.
For me ...I don't know. The script was so strong but the leads were too. It probably would have been good, but not awesome (as it was).
Old 10-14-07, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brent L
3:10 was awesome, just a flat out fantastic picture
ba-bump!!!
Old 10-14-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kudama
ba-bump!!!
I'm pretty sure your last 2 posts already did that.
Old 10-14-07, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm pretty sure your last 2 posts already did that.
Technically...your's did.

,,,Wait. Mine does. Awesome movie, though.
Old 10-25-07, 07:21 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I am so not a western fan but this was a damm good movie

Crowe and Bale were great together and had really good chemistry

Action was great though at times unrealistic but still it's a western !

I was rivetted throughout the whole movie
Old 10-25-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,040 Likes on 824 Posts
Yeah, it's a very solid action movie even if you don't like westerns.

I found the ending a bit silly (changing is fine, but it went a little overboard imo) but still wholly recommend it.
Old 10-29-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just saw this ... A solid movie in it's own respect, it didn't live up to my expectations. Alot of the action seemed like it was thrown in there just to make sure people didn't fall asleep, and you would hope Mangold would have more respect for the audience than that. The pacing was uneven, and the ending plain unbelieveable. But the film had high production values and great acting going for it, so it would be a sort of muted recommendation from me.

Last edited by hardercore; 10-29-07 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-08-08, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This was a fantastic film. Much better than I expected.
Old 01-09-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Christian Bale's criteria for accepting a script:

1. 1st 85%: excellent potentially award-winning material
2. Final 15%: a ludicrous ending that nearly ruins everything that came before it

See: Batman Begins, The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma (and some might include American Psycho as well)
Old 02-15-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wondering why Crowe's character shot all of his men at the end? Before the final shootout, he could have told his goons that he wanted to go to jail. But he ran with Bale like he was trying to run away from them.

Still a good movie. Loved the cinematography and the characters.
Old 02-15-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Calculon
Christian Bale's criteria for accepting a script:

1. 1st 85%: excellent potentially award-winning material
2. Final 15%: a ludicrous ending that nearly ruins everything that came before it

See: Batman Begins, The Prestige, 3:10 to Yuma (and some might include American Psycho as well)
Yikes, at least Bale wasn't in Sunshine. Seriously, the endings to all those films are either good or great especially American Psycho.
Old 02-15-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matrixrok9
Just wondering why Crowe's character shot all of his men at the end? Before the final shootout, he could have told his goons that he wanted to go to jail. But he ran with Bale like he was trying to run away from them.

Still a good movie. Loved the cinematography and the characters.
My guess is he didn't want to lose his cred. Then when Bale's character was shot he just shot his goons out of anger. Then held up his bargain so Bale's family would get the money the one guy promised if Crowe went to jail. He knew he could escape just as he did before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.