Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dreamgirls

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe he means subtext.
Old 02-18-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's pretty obvious he meant 'subtleties'.

Rob
Old 02-18-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes I did. I was typing quickly.

I have a question for people though...actually two...

I remember when similar films came out...whether it was Ray or Chicago or Moulin Rouge, they were huge. Now, everyone maybe had mixed opinions on them all, but it seemed like advertisements were everyone. You'd go to message boards and threads would be ten plus pages long. You'd see the stars promoting the movie everywhere, etc.

Is it me, or is this not the case with Dreamgirls? I feel like no one has seen it--at least if I were to go by the internet. Hell, this thread JUST now hit two pages. Why is this?

And secondly, I am curious, how many people who saw this film grew up enjoying the Supremes? Or have a love for Motown? I ask because I am 23, and while I liked the film, I think there's a lot of value from the movie that I cannot appreciate. My mother, on the other hand, LOVED the Supremes growing up. She was in love with Diana Ross. So she told me that Beyonce's mannerisms were very similar to Diana Ross's in the movie. So she was better able to appreciate the re-creation of the sets, clothing, etc. The album covers and photos were apparently spot on, etc. I had no knowledge of Florence from the Supremes and how unhappy she was. That Jamie Foxx was supposed to be Barry Gordy and how he really had a relationship with Diana Ross. How Gordy truly did, supposedly, have connections with the mob to help finance his goals. How Gordy soured on the the idea of Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" song (like how Foxx put down Murphy's idea for the song 'Patience'.). Tons of things like this.

So I'm just wondering about those two things. Thanks.
Old 02-18-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PacMan2006
And secondly, I am curious, how many people who saw this film grew up enjoying the Supremes? Or have a love for Motown?
When Diana Ross left the Supremes, I was 1 year old, but my dad loved the Supremes and other Motown groups, and played their music constantly during my childhood, so I grew up with them, which I do think enhanced my enjoyment of Dreamgirls. (And the fact that I'm gay certainly didn't hurt)

I do think that Beyonce's performance, and singing, in the film, are both extremely underrated, but that's probably because Jennifer Hudson was so phenomenal. I really hope she wins the Oscar next week; she deserves it.

Rob
Old 02-18-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I agree. I thought Beyonce was very good in the movie as well.
Old 05-13-07, 11:04 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,099 Likes on 916 Posts
Did anyone else bawl almost uncontrollably at the end?

Wow! What a film!!!!! I didn't think I would love it so immensely. I had little to no knowledge of Diana Ross or the Supremes and really didn't care to. Really not into their music.

But what a film, what music and what performances. I cannot say enough. Me and musicals have a strange history. I have both "Moulin Rouge" and "Chicago" but haven't even seen them yet. But, with "Chicago" i did see it on Broadway and only found it mildly enjoyable. i know i would most likely like those two, but never had the urge to pop them in. i also loved "Walk The Line" and "Hustle and Flow".

"Rent" i had to pop in immediately. i didn't see it in theaters, but have seen the play 4 times on Broadway and it is one of two of my most favorite plays. "Rent" is just unbelievable as a story and the music i especially love.

"Dreamgirls" i wanted to see when it was out, but wouldn't see it in theaters. i don't tend to see musicals or comedies in the theater. but, for some reason when i bought it for my mom for mom's day, i had to test it out and pop it in last night....

unbelievable. i was enthralled from the opening musical #'s. it captivated from the start and rarely let go and then the finale i was weeping like a baby. actual tears and just a mess. not because it was sad, but because what i saw and heard was just amazing and done so well.

this is a movie musical in every sense of the word. this was a play set theatrically, as they talked in song as well.

DG is different than WTL, H&F, and "Ray" as there was more musical #'s and less character introspection, i think. but this worked despite that. it worked on just about every cylinder. about 1h5m in it took a little different turn and went kinda dark and was probably the only hiccup. i'll probably have to see it again to know exactly what i am talking about, but then it got going again when Effie (Jen Hudson) started singing again.

She was just amazing and so deserving of the Oscar. Eddie, i could see getting overlooked and think his and Alan Arkin's performance could have been a pick 'em. i would have liked for him to get it over Arkin after seeing this though.

but, that is another hiccup. i didn't understand the James Early story line. i mean i understood it, but his and the Dreams relationship was like a dot in both their careers and while watching the rise of the Dreams and then going back to James' story it seemed a little out of place. i am not complaining as it was a good storyline, but it seemed tacked on to maybe give the movie meat. i think the Broadway play might deal more with Early, but the movie seemed to make it a side note and this is what happened to James after the Dreams, even thought i think the whole story could have held it's own just dealing with the Dreams.

anyway, long story short...this was a fantastic movie with fantastic performaces by EVERYONE!!

"Dreamgirls"...see it now!
nuf said, maybe more later...
Old 05-30-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally caught this the other night.

Another overly hyped film. Maybe it's because movies like these adhere to higher standards. Or maybe it's because everyone raved about it and said it was snubbed at the Oscars.

No, no it was not snubbed at the Oscars. Congrats to Jennifer Hudson, though I do not understand why she was nominated for Supporting? I guess because she had a better chance of winning. But sorry Eddie Murphy your performance was nothing special. Just because you play a jackass in every other movie you do, doesn't mean you deserve an Oscar when you don't. Jamie Foxx out-acted you.

Overall, the movie wasn't bad but Chicago and Walk the Line were amazing and this movie wasn't..
Old 05-30-07, 02:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I finally caught this the other night.

Another overly hyped film. Maybe it's because movies like these adhere to higher standards. Or maybe it's because everyone raved about it and said it was snubbed at the Oscars.

No, no it was not snubbed at the Oscars. Congrats to Jennifer Hudson, though I do not understand why she was nominated for Supporting? I guess because she had a better chance of winning. But sorry Eddie Murphy your performance was nothing special. Just because you play a jackass in every other movie you do, doesn't mean you deserve an Oscar when you don't. Jamie Foxx out-acted you.

Overall, the movie wasn't bad but Chicago and Walk the Line were amazing and this movie wasn't..
that baffled me as well. In the play version Effie was definately the supporting role to Deena. In the movie though, due to the lacklustre performance by Beyonce, the roles switched. Effie to me seemed the more interesting and better performed of the two.