Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Silent Hill 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Silent Hill 2

Gans on the Plans for Silent Hill 2

In a French interview with Silent Hill director Christophe Gans at DVDRama, he says he may direct a sequel to the 2006 hit.

There will be a Silent Hill 2. [Roger] Avary returns after adapting the VG Driver.

Gans is happy because Silent Hill is one of the biggest horror success of 2006 in terme of box-office. He arrives 3rd after Saw 3 and an american haunting.

One of his goals for Silent Hill 2 is to correct mistakes he made with the 1st one which cost him a lot of energy. However, he wonders if he can truly come back for a 2nd movie because of Onimusha. He says that if he doesn't come back, producers agree with him that the 2nd movie should keep the visual aspect of the 1st one. There is no way they are bringing a whole new vision of the town's design. He doesn't want a hollywoodian movie. If he doesn't come back as a director, he strongly suggest an European (and even a French) one. He will however stay close to this movie.

COMINGSOON.net
Old 12-26-06, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew that Gans was interested in doing a Silent Hill 2, but I didn't know the first movie's mild success was going to be enough to get a sequel greenlit. Hopefully it works out for him, because I'd like to see a sequel especially if they decide to follow the second game.
Old 12-26-06, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"One of his goals for Silent Hill 2 is to correct mistakes he made with the 1st one which cost him a lot of energy."

I wonder what he means by this?
Old 12-26-06, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who wrote that report? It's awfully written.
Old 12-26-06, 05:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Who wrote that report? It's awfully written.
It appears to be a bad translation from the original French article.
Old 12-26-06, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope that if there is indeed a 2nd film its based on Silent Hill 2. Its a great stand alone story (free of all that Cult stuff). Its my favorite of the series and i would love to see Kiefer Sutherland play James Sunderland but that would just be too sweet...
Old 12-26-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Gans is happy because Silent Hill is one of the biggest horror success of 2006 in terme of box-office. He arrives 3rd after Saw 3 and an american haunting.
American Haunting was the 2nd highest grossing horror movie of the year? I could swear Final Destination 3, The Grudge 2, and a slew of others were waaaay more successful at the box office.
Old 12-26-06, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmmm....US grosses:

Saw III: $80 million
The Omen: $54.6 million
Final Destinaion 3: $54 million
Hostel: $47.3 million
Silent Hill: $46.9 million
The Hills Have Eyes: $41.7 million

It's too bad the best horror film of '06 didn't beat any of these. That would be The Descent's $26 million.

An American Haunting earned a whopping $16 million.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 12-26-06 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-26-06, 08:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Since it's a French article, it could be talking about French box office.
Old 12-26-06, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
It appears to be a bad translation from the original French article.
yes it was a translation. [my bad I deleted that part off]
Old 12-26-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
hmmm....US grosses:

Saw III: $80 million
The Omen: $54.6 million
Final Destinaion 3: $54 million
Hostel: $47.3 million
Silent Hill: $46.9 million
The Hills Have Eyes: $41.7 million

It's too bad the best horror film of '06 didn't beat any of these. That would be The Descent's $26 million.

An American Haunting earned a whopping $16 million.
*shrug* No accounting for taste.
Old 12-27-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Wait. He's also making a movie based on Onimusha? Is he going to get Takeshi Kaneshiro to be in it?
Old 01-01-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Neil Gaiman Not Involved With Silent Hill 2

In a post on his personal blog, author Neil Gaiman said that he's been getting questions about whether he's working on the script for a sequel to the horror film Silent Hill with director Christophe Gans and screenwriter Roger Avary, but he is not involved in the project.

"I'm afraid that I don't think I am," Gaiman wrote. "I mean, it's the first thing I've ever heard of it, and I'm sure that if they make a sequel Roger would want to write it himself. I am writing Black Hole with Roger (we're one draft in right now), and we already wrote next year's Beowulf. If I get home to find an invitation to write Silent Hill 2 with Roger is waiting for me, I'll let you all know, but for right now I think it's a discredited Internet rumour."

COUNTINGDOWN.com
Old 01-01-07, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wait. He's also making a movie based on Onimusha?
I like the 1st Silent Hill but that was the most interesting part of the article.
Old 01-01-07, 09:51 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Neil Gaiman Not Involved With Silent Hill 2

In a post on his personal blog, author Neil Gaiman said that he's been getting questions about whether he's working on the script for a sequel to the horror film Silent Hill with director Christophe Gans and screenwriter Roger Avary, but he is not involved in the project.

"I'm afraid that I don't think I am," Gaiman wrote. "I mean, it's the first thing I've ever heard of it, and I'm sure that if they make a sequel Roger would want to write it himself. I am writing Black Hole with Roger (we're one draft in right now), and we already wrote next year's Beowulf. If I get home to find an invitation to write Silent Hill 2 with Roger is waiting for me, I'll let you all know, but for right now I think it's a discredited Internet rumour."

COUNTINGDOWN.com
Is it too early to start the Black Hole and Beowulf threads?
Old 07-19-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Avary Skips Trip to Silent Hill 2

If the fog rolls in over the town of Silent Hill again, it will be without screenwriter Roger Avary. The scribe credited for Pulp Fiction, Killing Zoe and the Brett Easton Ellis adaptation The Rules of Attraction brought the video game world of the "Silent Hill" series to atmospheric life in last year's film directed by Christophe Gans.

But in talking with Shock on the Paramount lot about his upcoming collaboration with Neil Gaiman and Robert Zemeckis, Beowulf, he reveals, "I'm not gonna do Silent Hill 2," a pause, maybe to renege on that comment, then an assured, "If Christophe's not gonna do it, I'm not..."

Then that settles that. When we had spoken to producer Don Carmody (here), he hinted that Gans was similarly too busy with other work and didn't appear interested in following up his "Hill" film. This doesn't mean the sequel was dead, however, a new installment will progress without the director and writer.

SHOCKTILLYOUDROP.com
Old 07-20-07, 12:25 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Im up for a Silent Hill 2, i enjoyed the first movie
Old 07-20-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Without Christophe Gans (and to a lesser extent Avery) my interest in a sequel drop dramatically.
Old 07-21-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My interest has also significantly dropped. I really thought the two of them did a good job bringing that story to the big screen. Aside from the overused CGI it was very atmospheric and creepy. I might check out SH2 if it's got a good crew behind it, but something tells me to expect a no-name directing a hack script.
Old 07-22-07, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
After reading this news, I doubt I'll see this in the theater. I'll still rent it, but I'm not as excited about it as I once was.
Old 07-22-07, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Here's a thought to screw with your mind: Imagine a David Lynch helmed Silent Hill film.