Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Haneke's Funny Games (2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Michael Haneke's Funny Games (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My argument does not necessitate watching the film to be on equal footing. It only calls for one to have watched the sequence in A Clockwork Orange since the argument is that the premise of Funny Games (NOT the direction, cinematography, or trailer that was deliberately made to look like that of A Clockwork Orange) is wholly derivative of the rape sequence in Clockwork, which it clearly is.

Any film about youths breaking into the home/lives of a family/couple and committing acts of senseless violence for their own perverse pleasure on film is clearly derived from that sequence more so when the costumes of said characters are clearly an homage to it...now if this "wholly derivative" film surpasses the original sequence in its expansion or is just a rehashing of the same theme for as senseless a purpose as the violence it depicts is another argument for another time (that time being once I have watched the movie).

Seeing as this thread has sort of turned into the two of us going back and forth, if this is considered "thread hijacking" then feel free to PM me.
Old 03-09-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They were promoting the shit out of this during CBS' airing of Dexter tonight....glad to see I'm not the only one getting a Clockwork Orange vibe from it.
Old 03-09-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
It's very much a clockwork orange in terms of advertising. Especially compared to the original trailer: http://www.movie-list.com/c/clockworkorange.html

The movie itself (the original movie at least)? home invasion concept and "for the fun of it" are about where the similarities end.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-09-08 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-09-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
The movie itself? not at all.
Worth the price of admission or not?
Old 03-09-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Worth the price of admission or not?
I had to make an edit, I haven't seen this remake yet and meant it in reference to the original -- which I personally liked but did not love by any stretch. It's a very manipulative film (sort of the point). And from what I've read, it's almost a shot for shot remake, with a hotter lead ( Naomi).

For references sakes:

1997 Funny Games Trailer:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzpzpe_8gHQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rzpzpe_8gHQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2008 Funny Games Trailer:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vSuDmrJcBeQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vSuDmrJcBeQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by RichC2; 03-09-08 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-10-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After watching the original trailer, I REALLY hope there's no John Zorn songs in this one.
Old 03-10-08, 06:44 PM

I watched the original Funny Games for the first time last week in anticipation for the remake. As a fan of dark films, I still didn't find it all that great. I kept waiting for something... more... but it just is what it is, I guess.

I can't see this movie doing well and am sorta puzzled why it's even being remade in the first place.
Old 03-13-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Hrm... 52% on Rotten Tomatoes, 53 on Metacritic. Getting wildly mixed reviews, which is at least a good sign.
Old 03-13-08, 03:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
John Zorn does the music for this movie!? I wanted to see it before, but now I have to see it.
Old 03-13-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
John Zorn does the music for this movie!? I wanted to see it before, but now I have to see it.
If it's anything like the original, it's just for one scene.
Old 03-14-08, 05:12 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Aww. I love Zorn.
Old 03-14-08, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This got absolutely slammed by Joe Morgenstern (on of my favorite critics) of the WSJ today. One of those one paragraph, extremely negative reviews.
The games in Michael Haneke's "Funny Games" aren't funny -- that's the filmmaker's leaden attempt at irony. They are spasms of graphic torture inflicted by two young men, incarnations of evil, who take a family hostage. (The two stars you might care about, if it were possible to care about the characters they play, are Naomi Watts and Tim Roth.) In addition to being borderline unendurable, "Funny Games" is inexplicable, and I don't mean in any philosophical sense. Who thought the world needed a shot-for-shot English-language version of Mr. Haneke's 1997 German-language film? In a short interview in last Saturday's Journal, he said that several interruptions before the climax -- alienation devices, in the parlance and tradition of Bertolt Brecht -- were meant to show the viewer that he is an accomplice in the violence. Just for the record, I was alienated at least an hour before those devices kicked into gear, and I confess to complicity only as a critic giving good space to a really bad movie.
Old 03-14-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The original had almost all of "Bonehead" over the opening (and closing) credits followed by snippets of "Hellraiser." Both are directly from Torture Garden; Zorn didn't write any music expressly for the film. Haneke talks about the use of Zorn's music in the original - FTR my least favorite aspect of the movie, and I too love Zorn - in this Kinoeye interview.
Old 03-14-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jim Emerson, editor of RogerEbert.com, HATES Funny Games.

James Berardinelli gives Funny Games 3 1/2 stars.

My local theater doesn't have Funny Games, so should I go rent the original before I see the remake?
Old 03-14-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
Jim Emerson, editor of RogerEbert.com, HATES Funny Games.

James Berardinelli gives Funny Games 3 1/2 stars.

My local theater doesn't have Funny Games, so should I go rent the original before I see the remake?
If you rent the original you are seeing the new version, just in German. Its a shot for shot tit for tat remake.
Old 03-14-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It seems Haneke made this film to get bad reviews, he is probably ashamed at the good reviews... unless they're good reviews keyed into its purpose. So it's kind of a cheap trick, "I can't lose" scenario on his part. Still one of the best minimalists though.
Old 03-14-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
This movie looks incredible. I have read the reviews (and for the original as well). It sounds like a huge wink-wink film, which are my favorites. If it is anything like A Clockwork Orange (a personal favorite, and poster hangs in my office), I will be happy.
Old 03-14-08, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

seeing it tomorrow.
Old 03-14-08, 06:03 PM

Saw this last night at a press screening. It was great, however it's the same film shot for shot as the original, including the end. IMO that's a good thing, but I guess for those who've seen it, it kind of makes you question if you should pay to see it again. He changed nothing. I can see why people have mixed feelings about this as it's an arthouse movie being produced for a mainstream audience. I'm sure there will be a ton of people who won't like it, or won't really understand the point of the film. If you've seen the original, I'm not sure it's worth paying to see again unless you have problems reading subtitles. Anyhow, for me it was great because I was worried the film would get thrown into the blender and end up different then the original. I hadn't seen the original in years, so it was still a nice experience for me. Anyhow, Good job Haneke. I hope this guy makes some $$ from this and gives us something original for his next film.
Old 03-14-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AO Scott's review seems to confirm my suspicions of this film:
http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/03/14...funn.html?8dpc

Yep, Haneke indeed wants to trumpet his moral and intellectual superiority while rubbing our faces in what blood-thirsty cretins we are. You know Americans.

Why would anyone go see a movie made by a guy who so clearly despises his audience?
Old 03-15-08, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Why would anyone go see a movie made by a guy who so clearly despises his audience?
Because that "guy" is a genius.

Is he pedantic and snobby and all that? Yes. Does he come off as incredibly arrogant and condescending in interviews? Yes. Is he still one of the greatest filmmakers working today - creating great, intelligent and artistically significant films? Yes.

With that said - I probably won't end up seeing this film or the original (for multiple reasons.) But I will continue to watch whatever else he happens to throw out since he rather earned my respect with films like "Cache" and "The Piano Teacher" and "Code Unknown" - which are all masterpieces.

Last edited by Sondheim; 03-15-08 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-15-08, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After seeing Cache a year ago and Funny Games tonight, I will now never see another Haneke film ever again.

Motherfucking Austrian bastard owes me four hours of my life back.

Easily the worst film I've seen this year. I should've taken a cue from my best friend and walked out. I've never seen a film serve less of a purpose than this one -- especially one with the balls to insult the audience the way this film does (specifically during the moments where Pitt's character breaks the fourth wall).

Christ, I should've just waited an extra 20 minutes and saw Doomsday instead.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 03-15-08 at 04:07 AM.
Old 03-15-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
After seeing Cache a year ago and Funny Games tonight, I will now never see another Haneke film ever again.

Motherfucking Austrian bastard owes me four hours of my life back.

Easily the worst film I've seen this year. I should've taken a cue from my best friend and walked out. I've never seen a film serve less of a purpose than this one -- especially one with the balls to insult the audience the way this film does (specifically during the moments where Pitt's character breaks the fourth wall).

Christ, I should've just waited an extra 20 minutes and saw Doomsday instead.

It's a reaction like your's that really makes me want to see the film. I'll probably catch it on DVD though.
Old 03-15-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw this last night and it really didn't so much for me. That's probably because I've seen the original twice and I didn't see the need for this version. Remaking the film exactly the same way is an insult to me as a fan of the German version and as an American. This is Haneke's way of pandering to dumbed-down US audiences that don't want to "read" their movies, so he gives us the same thing but with known actors and in English. I might have enjoyed it more if the first one didn't exist, but it does and that fact diminished this film in my eyes.
Old 03-15-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop
It's a reaction like your's that really makes me want to see the film. I'll probably catch it on DVD though.
I think it's funny that the two worst films of the year, Funny Games and Diary of the Dead, are two that try their hand at social commentary and both fail at that task. Maybe Haneke and Romero should go back and learn how to write a script based on a three-act structure first.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.