Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on Pulse...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Thoughts on Pulse...

Old 12-07-06, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thoughts on Pulse...

Well, I did a blind buy on Pulse Unrated yesterday at Target (14.99 cheapest price around) and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. It reminded me alot of the Ring and to be quite honest it was not as scary as they promoted it to be. Granted it is a bit scary thinking about what could happen to the world as they showed. I know Pulse was based on a Japan movie, was that movie any better than Pulse? I am getting a bit tired of these US remakes and I am not sure I will pull the trigger again on anymore of them...
Old 12-07-06, 02:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I haven't seen the remake, but the original Japanese film is great and one of my favorite Asian horror movies. It manages to scare and leave a lasting impression through subtle, yet extremely creepy atmosphere and imagery. It's kind of slow and disjointed, but stick with it. If you like it, I highly recommend Kiyoshi Kurosawa's other movies like Cure and Seance.
Old 12-07-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have only seen Kurosawa's Pulse (Kairo). If you do catch it, keep it mind that the film, aside fm being a ghost story, is also a statement of society where everyone becomes isolated due to technological advancement. What I also do need to say is that this type of social statement can only work in a structure like Japan so the translation towards Western audiences won't be clear and it will only be the horror aspect that would be seen.

Cure and Seance are also great films of psychological terror. Kiyoshi Kurosawa has the gift of blending ghost stories with the drama surrounding the characters.
Old 12-07-06, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
I'll probably catch the remake when it shows up on cable.

Count me in as another fan of the original. I also liked Cure and need to check out Seance.
Old 12-08-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
I love Cure but Pulse (Kario) I was really disappointed in. I am going to watch the remake this weekend but it will probably not be that great either. Hmm didn't know about Seance I will have to try and check that one out.
Old 12-08-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i love the original version, i didnt even know the remake came out to theaters yet, let alone on dvd. ill wait for cable to see it.

Last edited by scarredgod; 12-08-06 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-08-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved Kairo (original)....The remake is an absolute piece of crap. Pretty much nothing redeeming about it. It's a typical Dimension Films hack job, slapped together to fit what the Weinstein's think the teen crowd wants, and they're way off on even that stuff.
Old 12-09-06, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another for the original - it becomes more disturbing every time you see it.

I basically have been skipping the recent U.S. remakes of Asian horror films, because I've never seen one that came anywhere near the originals in effectiveness.
Old 12-10-06, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've not seen the original Pulse but I saw the remake and, while disappointed in the movie as a whole, I thought it touched on some interesting themes and ideas (albeit a little heavy-handedly). The execution was pretty horrible all the way around though except for a decent Kristen Bell performance.
Old 12-12-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think this movie was better than people are saying. It is no masterpiece and I went into it with very low expectations, but it had some nice creepy visuals and good idea behind the story. I something with this storyline could be very good if done right. Though I didn't love it, it does still have me thinking about it a days later.
Old 12-13-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
to the original. One of my favorite J-Horrors, though it was less scary and more just creepy. The feeling of impending doom is unparalleled. It's slow at times, but also a very successful examination on how technology isolates us, and it's always interesting.

Still haven't seen the remake.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-13-06 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 02:18 PM

So So feelings about the first one, but the remake was terrible and makes the original better by the remakes very existence
Old 12-19-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched the unrated Pulse tonight, and it was without a doubt the WORST movie I have seen this year. Dear lord, how did this thing even get made? The acting, the dialogue, the laughable attempts at being scary... oh my god, I am so glad I didn't pay money for this thing.

F-
Old 01-15-07, 03:24 PM

I just finished watching it, and I hated it.....I'm getting so sick of all these duds