Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Dixie Chicks: Shut Up & Sing'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-06, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Dixie Chicks: Shut Up & Sing at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24810 and...
WAH, WAH, WAH. Natalie Maines is reaping the rewards of her big mouth. You don't go over to our biggest ally during a time of war and spout off useless drivel like that and not expect any backlash. Yes we enjoy freedom of speech, but, with that freedom comes responsibility. You need to be ready to suffer the consequences of your actions. This DVD was a waste of time, energy and money. The Dixie Chicks' careers are dead, killed by their own hand. Or should I say Natalie's big mouth. Her nasal voice has grated on my nerves since I first heard her and I think that the most talent came from the one who plays the fiddle. The Chicks are gone good-bye and good riddance.
Old 12-02-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by thunderwalker
I read Brian Orndorf's DVD review of Dixie Chicks: Shut Up & Sing at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24810 and...
WAH, WAH, WAH. Natalie Maines is reaping the rewards of her big mouth. You don't go over to our biggest ally during a time of war and spout off useless drivel like that and not expect any backlash. Yes we enjoy freedom of speech, but, with that freedom comes responsibility. You need to be ready to suffer the consequences of your actions. This DVD was a waste of time, energy and money. The Dixie Chicks' careers are dead, killed by their own hand. Or should I say Natalie's big mouth. Her nasal voice has grated on my nerves since I first heard her and I think that the most talent came from the one who plays the fiddle. The Chicks are gone good-bye and good riddance.
Old 12-02-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So the Dixie Chicks are so useless to you that you decided to register at this forum just to fill us all in on how useless they are to you? Sounds like a good use of energy.
Old 12-02-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, your post is exactly what I expected to read when I opened this thread. Thank you for the amusement.

And I agree with Natalie.
Old 12-02-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
The discussion link on reviews is a horrible, horrible idea. Always has been.
Old 12-02-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't really understand the point of the movie. It's not about free speech or anything political, it's about a band who pissed off their fans. Plain and simple. They can spin it all they want but that's what it comes down to.

If you're rapper you can't be gay and if you're country you can't be a Democrat. I think rock stars have a lot of leeway and can pretty much do anything they want except "sell out" of course.
Old 12-02-06, 09:05 PM

This Documentary it TOTALLY about free speach! I was not a fan at all before I saw this movie. These girls took a harmless stab at the president on stage in England and only after someone in a conserivite religious group read about it a few days later and started a campaign on there website where members would call there local country station and tell the station they would never listen to the station again if they played the Dixie Chicks and called in death threats everywhere the Dixie Chicks went..I would rate this film an A+.
Old 12-02-06, 09:15 PM

Sorry,

Originally Posted by danstheday
This Documentary it TOTALLY about free speach! I was not a fan at all before I saw this movie. These girls took a harmless stab at the president on stage in England and only after someone in a conserivite religious group read about it a few days later and started a campaign on there website where members would call there local country station and tell the station they would never listen to the station again if they played the Dixie Chicks and called in death threats everywhere the Dixie Chicks went..I would rate this film an A+.
but one "conserivite religious group" can't destroy a crossover band like the Chicks. They did it to themselves. You're correct, it is all about freedom of speech, but their fans have every right to voice their thoughts via not buying their CDs or going to their concerts if they don't agree with them.
Old 12-03-06, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Their fans definitely have the right to not buy their Cds, attend concerts, etc...but then, you have to question, of what exactly are they fans? And with that, what exactly are they being punished for?

When it comes down to it, I guess some people can distinguish an artist from an artist's work. Others choose not to do so at all.

I guess I choose not to penalize someone through their product for speaking their mind, if i truly like their product in the first place.

For those who don't/can't, that's something that the Dixie Chicks had/have to expect and put up with.
Old 12-03-06, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So, I didn't realize this was a movie.

I don't get it...

Maybe I'm stupid but I thought that her comment was harmless and didn't deserve the backlash that it got...I mean she was kind of in the right...Anyway, I absolutely hate people like Toby Keith for his dumbass redneck attitude...Him reacting like that really pissed me off...He's such an ignorant prick...
Old 12-03-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,884 Posts
Are Dixie Chicks careers really over?

Seems like the past three-four years have proven that Natalie Maines was right. Considering the pounding Bush's party took in congress last month, I doubt that there are that many people who could still be holding a grudge.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-03-06 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-03-06, 02:26 AM

I liked the shirt the singer wore F.U.T.K. the next day after the toby thing. The movie made a good point of showing that they still had there fans but they were having a hard time getting there music played on country radio.
Old 12-03-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Of all the crazy shit that goes on in this world, it's amazing to me these cry-babies still whine over what the Dixie Chicks said years ago.
Old 12-03-06, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'd be more upset about being lied to about going to war as opposed to what the Dixie Chicks said.
Old 12-03-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought there was a hilarious skit on Mad TV last night about this. The chick playing Maines kept going and making ridiculous comments and the other singers kept apologizing and saying they'd like to sell some tickets in their own country some day.
Old 12-03-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Even if you accept that the fans had a right to protest the Dixie Chicks, it was kind of disturbing to me seeing cd burnings and breaking of cds. What happened to the Dixie Chicks is just another reason to HATE the south, country music, and everything it stands for.
Old 12-03-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was absolutely great...not only about freedom of speech and what the group went through on the aftermath of Natalie's statement, but how mental and hypocrytical most of those fans were. Fighting for and advocating "freedom and democracy" yet an American can't express how she (or he) feels, whether it's here or overseas? Kudos to the Dixie Chicks for sticking together despite everything that had happend and bringing this film to the big screen. I highly recommend this film, one of the best of the year.
Old 12-03-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by alfredog1976
yet an American can't express how she (or he) feels, whether it's here or overseas?
They did.

Sure many of their fans dissaproved of HOW they expressed themselves, and some people dissagree with how the fans expressed their views in response. This is how freedom of speech works.
Old 12-03-06, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts
Should have been more explicit. No one is questioning that those fans can protest or boycott the Dixie Chicks...they can say whatever they want to say...but saying "how dare they put down the president", on foreign soil (as we are about to go to war for "freedom and deomocracy"), as one disgruntled man does in the movie, to me, is hypocrytical.
Old 12-03-06, 06:21 PM

Um...

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
What happened to the Dixie Chicks is just another reason to HATE the south, country music, and everything it stands for.
And all country fans, venues, and stations where they were shut out of were in the south?! Sure....That attitude is just another reason to HATE the north. Some are missing the point, it had nothing to do with her bad mouthing the president per se. If it did, film, music and TV stars would be long out of work. Ditto for quite a few networks. IT was they went to another country and did it. I don't like country music, I don't care about the Chicks, but to many people that are their fans, this mattered.
Old 12-05-06, 01:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
as one disgruntled man does in the movie, to me, is hypocrytical.
Hypocritical or not, doesn't he have his right to free speech too?

The bottom line is the Dixie Chicks have an incredible level of freedom of speech (as do we all). They have more freedom to speak today than any other time or place in world history. But they are unhappy about the real market effects of their freedom of speech. They believe that the definition of "freedom of speech" is when something is said, even if it is controversial, that it should not have any effect on their popularity, record sales, or concert revenues.

They wish that they could throw a stone in a lake and have it cause no ripples. Their position is a quintessential example of how being famous can lead to a level of self importance that is horrifying.
Old 12-05-06, 02:06 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I thought there was a hilarious skit on Mad TV last night about this. The chick playing Maines kept going and making ridiculous comments and the other singers kept apologizing and saying they'd like to sell some tickets in their own country some day.
I saw that too. It was very funny.
Old 12-05-06, 02:20 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
The Dixie Chicks' careers are dead, killed by their own hand
Can I have a dead music career, too? I've always wanted to have a number 1, multiplatinum album.
Old 12-05-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I highly recommend this film, one of the best of the year.

Oh fuck, that's gotta be one of the best things I've heard on this site - you just made my day!!!!!

Old 12-05-06, 03:24 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oy_YrUP2NQ0"></embed>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.