Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Amadeus: Original or DC?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-04-06, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen the film before and would like to know which version is better to watch for the first time. I'm not looking to purchase the film (I already know that the Director's Cut is vastly superior to the original disc) just to rent.
Old 11-04-06, 06:09 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never seen it personally (though I hope to sooner rather than later), but every review I've read has said the theatrical version is a better edit than the DC (of course, the same is true of APOCALYPSE NOW, but I prefer the REDUX edit).
Old 11-04-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've see both, and I prefer the Theatrical Cut over the Director's Cut. I don't mind the Director's Cut or the new scenes that it incorporates, but the Theatrical Cut is one of my favorite films, so it's hard to give that up over a new version.
Old 11-04-06, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Living in Prague, I just wanna say that anybody who's coming to Prague should see this film first. Or directly afterward. Or during their stay.

It was directed by a Czech director and almost completely filmed in Prague (despite the city pretending to be Vienna in almost every shot). Milos Forman is about as close to a household name as you can get in the Czech Republic. Only Vaclav Havel (and maybe Vaclav Klaus) would beat him out... Well, at least, in terms of fame and not notoriety.

I don't know if I remember seeing the Theatrical Cut. I think I only have the DC.
-ringding-
Old 11-04-06, 08:35 PM

Theatrical > Director's

The new stuff in the DC only slows the pic down, and adds practically nothing (except boobies!).
Old 11-04-06, 09:17 PM

Thank you all for your input. I will seek out the theatrical version.
Old 11-06-06, 02:28 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
That is not to say the DC isn't worth watching. Perhaps watch it next time you view the film.
Old 11-06-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Its funny but this is one of those films that i saw a long time ago, was bored and dismissed. However for some reason i bought it earlier on this year on DVD and i have fallen in love with the film. I actually got the directors cut and i find it to be excellent overall. There are some scenes that could be cut or shortened, but i find that they add to the film overall. An excellent film that is deserving of the praise given to it.
Old 11-06-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The added scenes in the DC are certainly fascinating, and in fact, add some more depth to what is already a great flick.

However, I, too, prefer the original cut. I also like the music only track which strangely is not available on the DC.
Old 11-07-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was the original cut anamorphic? Too lazy to check other sites .
Old 11-08-06, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jippy
Was the original cut anamorphic? Too lazy to check other sites .
When I was comparing both of the versions available I noticed that the original cut was anamorphic (it's a flipper too).
Old 11-08-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
The Original Cut of Amadeus is better, but the Director's Cut doesn't ruin the movie like some DC's do. So I recommend watching the OC if you can, but if the DC is the only version available, it'll be fine - the greatness of the movie still comes through.
Old 11-08-06, 07:38 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's lacking in this discussion is some real clarification on what exactly makes the theatrical cut better.
Old 11-08-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't have a strong opinion either way. I can understand the support for the theatrical cut. The Director's Cut additions don't add a ton of extra value or enhance it enough to make it superior. Therefore, the theatrical cut is a much tighter presentation. Both are great so nobody will be upset regardless of which they watch
Old 11-09-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
What's lacking in this discussion is some real clarification on what exactly makes the theatrical cut better.
Simply better editing. The original Theatrical Cut is tighter and less bloated than the DC. The extra scenes in the DC are nice to see, but would've been better as "Deleted Scene" extras on the DVD, not editing back into the movie, because they do noticably harm the pacing of the film.

(However, because the added scenes are at least worth-seeing, they don't ruin the movie like some DC's of other movies with mostly worthless scenes added back in.)
Old 11-09-06, 10:10 AM

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
I prefer the Director's Cut. It sheds a lot more light on Mozart's money situation, as well as Constanze's hatred of Salieri, which were two important plot issues.
Old 11-10-06, 01:43 PM

I agree with Vipper. Plus, I found the readdition of Forman favorite Kenneth McMillan (as the Elector) into the film interesting and not that much of a drag on the plot.

The only thing I really miss from the OC is the music-only track. The extras for the DC FAR outweigh it otherwise.

Plus, in general the DC just seems so much more TONALLY balanced. The OC is well-made, but shrill and nearly manic-depressive for 75 percent of the film.

A shroud of doom hangs over the movie from practically the start. The DC, however, is much more of a slice-of-life view of Mozart's time.
Old 11-10-06, 04:51 PM

Theatrical Cut if you've never seen it and want to rent it. Director's Cut if you want to buy it (because of the special features and the fact you don't need to flip the disc).
Old 11-11-06, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chalk me up as another who preferred the Director's Cut.

Though that's not to say that the Theatrical Cut is crappy in any way. A first time viewer should enjoy either.
Old 11-12-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by DrRingDing
Living in Prague, I just wanna say that anybody who's coming to Prague should see this film first. Or directly afterward. Or during their stay.

It was directed by a Czech director and almost completely filmed in Prague (despite the city pretending to be Vienna in almost every shot). Milos Forman is about as close to a household name as you can get in the Czech Republic. Only Vaclav Havel (and maybe Vaclav Klaus) would beat him out... Well, at least, in terms of fame and not notoriety.

I don't know if I remember seeing the Theatrical Cut. I think I only have the DC.
-ringding-
I watched the DC after visiting the Czech Republic for two weeks (one in Prague, one in Karlovy Vary) and got a huge kick out of it (especially after going to hear the Requiem being performed at the Municipal House)... but I have to admit, as a travelogue for Prague you can't do better than XXX... of course, to say XXX is a crappy movie is like saying poop is a bit icky.
Old 11-13-06, 07:15 PM

This is my favorite movie of all time (DC or theatrical cut), so I'm glad to see people discovering it for the first time.
Old 11-13-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
I prefer the Director's Cut. It sheds a lot more light on Mozart's money situation, as well as Constanze's hatred of Salieri, which were two important plot issues.
Took the words right out of my mouth...especially the bolded area.

I never did understand her hatred for Salieri at the end of the film and it always struck me as a little misplaced. After seeing the deleted scene where he completely strips her of her dignity, it is quite understandable.

The only scene that I dislike that was added back in was the scene in the opera lady's dressing room. It is entirely unnecessary and repeats info we have already been given (kinda like the added in Jabba scene in Star Wars).

Hell, any new scene is welcome in this movie if it includes music. One of the greatest soundtracks of all time (and yes, I know the music had been released before ).

I grew up on the theatrical cut and having seen it, honestly, near two dozen or more times, I greatly prefer the Director's Cut. Hell, if they gave me a six hour version of this movie I wouldn't complain. It is one of the few movies that I have never tire of.