Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saving Private Ryan question.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

So I finally got to watch this movie (which was AWESOME... I really like Spielberg war movies, i.e. this and Schindler's List). Had a question:

At the end, why does Miller walk out into the middle of the bridge out in the open? Is it because the Germans were about to close in on all of them and he was trying to delay them to protect Ryan?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-06, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe he was attempting to retrieve the detonator for blowing up the bridge.
Old 10-02-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
If memory serves me correctly, they were supposed to blow the bridge, but the wiring failed so he was about to re-rig it. I also thought he went out there to draw fire away from Ed Burn's character so that people left behind still had a chance to make it across the bridge. Of course, it didn't help that he fell into one of his episodes. So who knows....
Old 10-02-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well what's weird is that he just goes to the middle of the bridge and -stands- there. That's what's puzzling.
Old 10-02-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Why don't I remember it like that...

I haven't watched that movie in a while though.
Old 10-02-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it this morning He staggers to the middle of the bridge (he's barely able to walk) and before that they close in on a black box, which might have been the detonator. The way he was walking though he had no chance of getting anywhere before a bevy of bullets found their way to him (which is what happened).
Old 10-02-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Again, he was having one of his episodes (just like at the beginning on Omaha Beach where time slowed for him) after seeing Mike dead and Ryan cowering in the corner. When he started to walk and gather himself, he got shot and dropped ending with him firing his .45 at the tank before the tank busters came in.
Old 10-02-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Then I agree bad time to have an episode. My favorite line was when he said that every time he killed somebody he felt farther away from home. Awesome movie.
Old 10-02-06, 05:34 PM

OK, I have watched the last bit and I can clearly confirm that character Miller went for the detonator because there was a close up shot of it and him focusing at it from distance. As to why Miller exposed himself in line of fire is during the reoccurrence of that "episode" established the feeling of hopelessness, hence Miller didn't really care if he got shot.
Old 10-02-06, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He was dazzled after being knocked down from explosion. He wasn't sure what to do till he saw the detonator. He just went after it.
Old 10-02-06, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by McHawkson
He was dazzled after being knocked down from explosion.
Or dazed!
Old 10-02-06, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Were we supposed to believe at the start that the old man was Miller? that was the only bit I disliked, why would Ryan's character remember Miller's experience at Omaha beach?
Old 10-02-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
At first it seems like a flashback but I believe we just see an awkward transition to the past -- not necessarily Ryan's flashback. (isn't there also text telling us the date? that wouldn't be in a flashback either ).

I do however agree that Spielberg has a tendency to use unneeded bookends in his films.
Old 10-02-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Or dazed!
D'oh!

Thanks.
Old 10-02-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hardercore
Were we supposed to believe at the start that the old man was Miller? that was the only bit I disliked, why would Ryan's character remember Miller's experience at Omaha beach?
Since they faded from Ryan's eyes to Miller's, then yes, we were supposed to think that.

But unless they had a bunch of heart-to-hearts off-camera, there is no way Ryan could really know anything about Miller and his men prior to them finding him, so it's not really "Ryan's" story.

I chalked it up to a stylistic choice and got over it. I do love Ryan's "have I been a good man?" stuff to his wife at the end. Chokes me up.
Old 10-02-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
I figured it was done to fool you into thinking Miller survived and the old man is him remebering what happened. Then we're given a twist ending where the old man is really Ryan.
Old 10-02-06, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I figured it was done to fool you into thinking Miller survived and the old man is him remebering what happened. Then we're given a twist ending where the old man is really Ryan.
Well it succeeded in fooling me, and I didn't mind that they had a plot twist but for me it felt very forced and very clumsy. If they didn't have the shot of the same eyes changing from Ryan at old age to Miller during the war, then the fact that Miller survived would still have been implied. They could have just cut from the close up to a shot of Miller arriving at Omaha beach but they had to go ahead and deliberately transition the same set of eyes, a la Titanic, and hence deliberately mislead the audience, and for what -- the extra "didn't see that coming, did you!" factor? That was what I disliked.
Old 10-03-06, 12:35 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the twist was good, made it more interesting
Old 10-03-06, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Again, I had no problems with the twist. I just had problems with the way Spielberg deliberately tried to blindsight you. The way it was handled made it look like it was the old man's memory (same set of eyes used in the transition). It suggest Ryan somehow remember's Miller's experience on D-Day.
Old 10-03-06, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by hardercore
Again, I had no problems with the twist. I just had problems with the way Spielberg deliberately tried to blindsight you. The way it was handled made it look like it was the old man's memory (same set of eyes used in the transition). It suggest Ryan somehow remember's Miller's experience on D-Day.
I'm sure Miller's story was related to Ryan by Riben at some point after the bridge. Riben was with Miller every step of the way not to mention Uppem was writing all of their stories down the whole way.

I didn't have a problem with the eye transition and I love the film.
Old 10-03-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
That is the way I have always took it. Just a stylistic way to transition from present time to the war and throw you off your guard.

Originally Posted by TheGodfather
I didn't have a problem with the eye transition and I love the film.
I agree.

Originally Posted by Draven
I do love Ryan's "have I been a good man?" stuff to his wife at the end. Chokes me up.
Same here. The beginning seems forced, but the end justifies it for me.
Old 10-03-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't we see Miller's name on the gravestone at the beginning tho?
Old 10-03-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
I thought the twist was good, made it more interesting
Old 10-03-06, 12:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
That old dude they got looked a lot like Matt Damon, that's for sure. The dissolve made it even more obvious.
Old 10-03-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Don't we see Miller's name on the gravestone at the beginning tho?
No, only at the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.