DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Imprint was the sickest thing ever.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/478889-imprint-sickest-thing-ever.html)

Wildo1966 09-27-06 05:38 AM

Imprint was the sickest thing ever....

Well, I have been collecting all the Masters Of Horror dvds that come and I purchased Imprint yesterday.
I have to say this was one of if not the sickest movies I have ever seen. I completely understand why Showtime would not show this. The most graphic scenes I have ever seen in a movie. I have been a fan of horror movies for many years, I have seen all the Faces Of Death movies, but this one actually had me feeling ill..

JCWBobC 09-27-06 08:25 AM

Worse than Blood-Sucking Freaks?

Wildo1966 09-27-06 11:15 AM

I have seen just about everything thru the years, this was the worst one yet...Don't get me wrong the movie itself was great, I just felt really crappy after watching it. If I movie ever went over the top this one sure did....There should be a warning sticker on the dvd, Watch with extreme caution!

JCWBobC 09-27-06 11:56 AM

What's the basic premise as I have never heard of it?

Rypro 525 09-27-06 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JCWBobC
What's the basic premise as I have never heard of it?

its one of those showtime "masters of horror" episodes ,but showtime pussied out at the last second not airing the episode. The basic premis as i understand it is an american goes back to japan to pick up a prsotitute and all kinds of sick shit goes on from there.

sarah99 09-27-06 12:47 PM

Jenifer was worse

Giles 09-27-06 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by sarah99
Jenifer was worse

yet Showtime censored
Spoiler:
the severed penis scene

Wildo1966 09-27-06 02:04 PM

Well let me put it this way...The main character goes back to some overseas island to find his long lost prostitute he promised to come back for. Instead of finding her he find this disfigured prostitute who tells her story to him. In a nut shell her mother preformed abortions to her village (many graphic scenes here to upset everyone) and the child helps her. Also a real nasty torture scene in the movie that made me flinch. This movie is not for the weak of heart or the very sensitive. In reality the Masters Of Horrors creators should have issued a warning with this movie.

Giles 09-27-06 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Well let me put it this way...The main character goes back to some overseas island to find his long lost prostitute he promised to come back for. Instead of finding her he find this disfigured prostitute who tells her story to him. In a nut shell her mother preformed abortions to her village (many graphic scenes here to upset everyone) and the child helps her. Also a real nasty torture scene in the movie that made me flinch. This movie is not for the weak of heart or the very sensitive. In reality the Masters Of Horrors creators should have issued a warning with this movie.

I tried not to read this as I am waiting to see this as part of the October Halloween Movie Challenge (yes, it's elidgable).

But, Miike is one of the few director's out there that can achieve what Horror films should do, repulse challenge, disturb and break traditional taboos of what and where the horror genre can show. I think you'd also be a tad offended by the director Fruit Chan' film 'Dumplings' which also deals with abortion.

NewYorkRipper 09-27-06 06:46 PM

I guess none of you have seen August Underground or August Underground Mordum, sickest films ever PERIOD!

TomOpus 09-27-06 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by NewYorkRipper
I guess none of you have seen August Underground or August Underground Mordum, sickest films ever PERIOD!

I have and have posted several times regarding both films. (I even have a cool letter that Fred Vogel wrote to me). Needless to say, I'd have to agree with you.

But the AU flicks are more "is it really happening?" kind of mockumentary style. I think that's where it really gets disturbing.

I have Imprint (along with several over Miike flicks) but have yet to watch it. I just know I'll enjoy it.

Spiderbite 09-28-06 12:44 AM

I just finished watching Imprint and I have to admit that there are several "cringe inducing" scenes. I received it from Netflix today and went ahead and watched it since I don't count TV show epsiodes as part of my October horror movie list.

There is definitely something to make most everyone squirm here: heavy spoilers here so don't look...
Spoiler:
Graphic torture...especially to the fingernails & teeth, ugh. Graphic abortions, dead fetuses everywhere, graphic violence against women, rape, incest, nasty twin living out of someone's head, inferred child molestation, floating dead pregnant woman, midget with piece of nose missing...see something for everyone and I am sure I forgot to mention something!

Beware...something more repulsive than everything I just listed that is not a spoiler...terrible acting. Just dreadful. The storyline is weak as well. Seems the only reason for this episode to exist was to try to offend the faint-hearted but not attempt to entertain at the same time.

Disappointing but on course for most of the series. :down:

JCWBobC 09-28-06 07:59 AM

Netflix has it listed as Masters of Horror: Takashi Miike, in case anyone is looking for it. I just added it to my queue along with the rest of the Masters of Horror discs.

EdTheRipper 09-28-06 09:40 AM

I've got it coming from Netflix shortly.

NewYorkRipper 09-28-06 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I have and have posted several times regarding both films. (I even have a cool letter that Fred Vogel wrote to me). Needless to say, I'd have to agree with you.

But the AU flicks are more "is it really happening?" kind of mockumentary style. I think that's where it really gets disturbing.

I have Imprint (along with several over Miike flicks) but have yet to watch it. I just know I'll enjoy it.

Do you think Imprint is worth buying or just renting?

Wildo1966 09-28-06 06:31 PM

If you are a fan and/or collect the Masters Of Horror series then yes you should pick it up. Honestly I think seeing this movie once is enough for most people. If you enjoy honest to goodness gore movies then this one is for you. IMO I would rent before a purchase...Just be warned it is not a easy movie to watch..

TomOpus 09-28-06 08:36 PM

Do you think Imprint is worth buying or just renting?

As a fan of Miike, I'm biased so I'd say it's a buy :D

NewYorkRipper 09-28-06 10:37 PM

The only Miike film I've seen is Audition, and I did not like it at all. I felt the build was too slow... I did enjoy the final act, but overall it just didn't affect me at all. I am interested in Ichi, but my good cineste buddy has told me it's quite terrible. So I'm not really sure where that leaves me. I defintely want to see Imprint if only for the realistic violence.

What are some of the alluring aspects of his filmmaking?

Supermallet 09-28-06 11:09 PM

Well, just finished watching Imprint. LOVED it. Miike really knows how to get under your skin (or...fingernails...). Some of the acting was less than stellar, but it was also meant to be stylized, so I just went with it. This was easily a cut above any other MoH episode, and can stand up against some of Miike's better work. I loved every minute of it.

Mondo Kane 09-29-06 02:34 AM

The only Miike film I've seen is Audition, and I did not like it at all. I felt the build was too slow... I did enjoy the final act, but overall it just didn't affect me at all. I am interested in Ichi, but my good cineste buddy has told me it's quite terrible. So I'm not really sure where that leaves me. I defintely want to see Imprint if only for the realistic violence.

What are some of the alluring aspects of his filmmaking?

Well, first off, I went to Wal-Mart first thing this past Tuesday to buy this particular episode (Since Wal-Mart carries the Masters/Horror series around for the cheapest price) but, not to my surprise, even something directed by Takashi Miike DID NOT manage to make the racks of that store.
I even asked the clerks what was up since I had purchased every previous MOH episode (Aside from "Chocolate" and "Homecoming") from them. But they didn't have a damn clue what I was blabbering to them about.

I was a regular viewer to the MOH series on it's Showtime run, and once I heard that the network refused to air this episode, I figured "Oooh! Awesome! Too great and nasty for their tastes", I guess!
And well, here I am, still awaiting the day when I can FINALLY see this god damned episode.

So now I'm forced to go shopping around Best Buy,Target,etc. That is, When I return from my out-of-town business a week from now (Check the "Horror Movie Challenge" thread on the DVD board to know of my absence in the future) just to SEE fuckin' Imprint!!

Okay, WITH THAT ASIDE...

I'm a Miike fan. If you check my sig, I've got a category of DVDs specifically made out from the guy's work (Along with a good one on-order) But yes, he certainly is an aquired taste for most. But that's what I like about the guy. He just hits you with the unexpected. And since his ideas behind the camera certainly surprise the viewer (Even the writer, for that matter, since Miike himself doesn't write the material that appears in his movies) it does manage to leave a hell of an impression. And that's just what I've been wanting nowdays when I buy a ticket to see a "Hollywood" movie in a multiplex. But those guys are too chickenshit to deliver the goods to successfully pull the carpet underneath me (Granted, they may try at pushing the boundaries, but they'll be dealt with by the powers-that-be in the end)
I've had to rely on Miike and other Asian directors to truly "take me to that other place", and for the most part, they've succeeded. But even Miike himself will tell you that he isn't a horror director. He doesn't even consider Audition to be a horror film when the general public says it is. And that's where the problem lies, people expect to be scared from him, but for the most part, it doesn't work. Grossed out, maybe? Yeah, they might agree on that--But they may not recieve the creeps from him the way that the other J-Horror masters produce.
Doesn't matter.
Miike is multi-dimensional. I find his comedy-musical, Happiness of the Katakuris hysterical. His crime-drama, Rainy Dog, monumental. His comic-book manga adaptation, Fudoh extremely fun. His venture into David Lynch territory, Gozu worthwhile. His answer to sensationalism in journalism (ala CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Visitor Q, a certain stand-out. Not a favorite of mine, but without a doubt, one that can "go too far".
Again, I haven't been able to view Imprint yet to see what his explanations were for agreeing to become part of this horror project. But there's certainly enough proof, in my eyes, that he's willing to show how gifted he can be in all genres.

End rant.

Wildo1966 09-29-06 06:04 AM

Walmart seems to stay away from the real nasty dvds. I also have bought all the MOH series there (under $10 each) and I had a feeling Imprint would not make it there. So I bit the bullet and bought it at Best Buy. Walmart really pisses me off sometimes. Now watch they will carry the rest of the series no problem...

Supermallet 09-29-06 10:04 AM

I've been thinking about Imprint all night. I have not been able to get it out of my head. Utterly brilliant, fascinating movie.

Wildo1966 09-29-06 02:08 PM

Imprint is definitely a movie you will never forget, I know I sure won't. I have even had a dream this week about a fellow co-worker I use to work with and he had a hand with a face sticking out of his head...

Dan1boy 09-29-06 03:07 PM

Agree with most everyone here...I LOVE horror, but wow, this one made me cringe.

On another, *somewhat* related note: Watched Lady Vengeance last night. Very very good. Still, not as good as Oldboy though.

NewYorkRipper 09-29-06 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Well, first off, I went to Wal-Mart first thing this past Tuesday to buy this particular episode (Since Wal-Mart carries the Masters/Horror series around for the cheapest price) but, not to my surprise, even something directed by Takashi Miike DID NOT manage to make the racks of that store.
I even asked the clerks what was up since I had purchased every previous MOH episode (Aside from "Chocolate" and "Homecoming") from them. But they didn't have a damn clue what I was blabbering to them about.

I was a regular viewer to the MOH series on it's Showtime run, and once I heard that the network refused to air this episode, I figured "Oooh! Awesome! Too great and nasty for their tastes", I guess!
And well, here I am, still awaiting the day when I can FINALLY see this god damned episode.

So now I'm forced to go shopping around Best Buy,Target,etc. That is, When I return from my out-of-town business a week from now (Check the "Horror Movie Challenge" thread on the DVD board to know of my absence in the future) just to SEE fuckin' Imprint!!

Okay, WITH THAT ASIDE...

I'm a Miike fan. If you check my sig, I've got a category of DVDs specifically made out from the guy's work (Along with a good one on-order) But yes, he certainly is an aquired taste for most. But that's what I like about the guy. He just hits you with the unexpected. And since his ideas behind the camera certainly surprise the viewer (Even the writer, for that matter, since Miike himself doesn't write the material that appears in his movies) it does manage to leave a hell of an impression. And that's just what I've been wanting nowdays when I buy a ticket to see a "Hollywood" movie in a multiplex. But those guys are too chickenshit to deliver the goods to successfully pull the carpet underneath me (Granted, they may try at pushing the boundaries, but they'll be dealt with by the powers-that-be in the end)
I've had to rely on Miike and other Asian directors to truly "take me to that other place", and for the most part, they've succeeded. But even Miike himself will tell you that he isn't a horror director. He doesn't even consider Audition to be a horror film when the general public says it is. And that's where the problem lies, people expect to be scared from him, but for the most part, it doesn't work. Grossed out, maybe? Yeah, they might agree on that--But they may not recieve the creeps from him the way that the other J-Horror masters produce.
Doesn't matter.
Miike is multi-dimensional. I find his comedy-musical, Happiness of the Katakuris hysterical. His crime-drama, Rainy Dog, monumental. His comic-book manga adaptation, Fudoh extremely fun. His venture into David Lynch territory, Gozu worthwhile. His answer to sensationalism in journalism (ala CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Visitor Q, a certain stand-out. Not a favorite of mine, but without a doubt, one that can "go too far".
Again, I haven't been able to view Imprint yet to see what his explanations were for agreeing to become part of this horror project. But there's certainly enough proof, in my eyes, that he's willing to show how gifted he can be in all genres.

End rant.

So you're saying that Miike is, in fact, not a horror director. Regardless, I will be purchasing Imprint today to see what all the buzz is about.