DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Imprint was the sickest thing ever.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/478889-imprint-sickest-thing-ever.html)

Supermallet 09-29-06 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by NewYorkRipper
So you're saying that Miike is, in fact, not a horror director. Regardless, I will be purchasing Imprint today to see what all the buzz is about.

Miike is more of a horror director than some of the directors on the series. But he definitely defies genres. Still, his ability to shock and scare is undeniable.

Dead By Dawn 09-30-06 03:03 PM

Sicker than IRREVERSIBLE ?

NewYorkRipper 09-30-06 05:20 PM

Wow, saw it last night and was extremely let down. The gross-out scenes, as few as there are, were pretty gross, but not even on the same planet as Fred Vogel's August Underground and Mordum! As for the film itself, what a piece of crap. Once again Miike fails to deliver any sort of cohesive plot and the acting was highschool play levels bad. How can anyone really enjoy this film?

Supermallet 09-30-06 09:39 PM

Maybe by enjoying it for what it was instead of expecting it to be the ultimate gross-out film ever?

NewYorkRipper 10-01-06 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Maybe by enjoying it for what it was instead of expecting it to be the ultimate gross-out film ever?

That's just the thing my friend and I didn't enjoy it in the least... and believe me I wanted to I paid 12 dollars for it.

Supermallet 10-01-06 01:25 PM

Well, it's not like Miike is a director who appeals to everyone, or even a lot of people. He's a very acquired taste. You just haven't acquired the taste.

Julie Walker 10-01-06 03:53 PM

Wal-Mart lists Imprint on it's website. I typed in Masters of Horror and the first title listed was Imprint.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/searc...horror&ic=20_0

Rubix 10-17-06 02:22 AM

august underground mordom was not very good in my opinion. i wish i didn't spend like $30 on it. the only disturbing thing about this movie was how much floppy dick they kept showing of some guy in it. all they did was laugh like dumb hyenas throughout the movie and stare into the camera while pretending to stab girls and stuff. it was like wwf-league acting or something.

this is offtopic, but since it was mentioned here i don't want anyone else wasting money on this thinking it's super violent or something. it was just boring.

DVD Josh 10-17-06 09:19 AM

Any chance SHO is replaying this soon? Is On Demand?

Richard Malloy 10-17-06 10:17 AM

I'd posted this in the "general" Masters of Horror thread, but more apropo here I think. "Imprint" is the worst Miike film I've seen. And I've seen lots. And liked most of 'em.

I do tend to prefer the earlier works - Nostalghia, Ley Lines, Rainy Dog, Bird People in China - but I also really love Audition, Visitor Q, Gozu, and Box. I thought "Imprint" had some elements in common with "Box" and "Gozu", with a bit of "Audition" to boot, and so it's especially sad that it does. not. work. at all.

But sickest thing ever? I can't even agree with that. The torture scenes left me a bit squeamish, to be sure, but even these were lesser horribles than "Audition" (and very similar with respect to the needles), and were highly aestheticized, with elements of traditional Japanese bondage. There were some fetuses and associated grue, but this again was highly aestheticized and lacked any of the bone-crunching squeam inducement of a film like "Dumplings", for example. I can't for the life of me understand how Showtime felt they couldn't show this based on content alone.

On the other hand, if Showtime pulled it based on quality... that I would understand.

My god man... Billy Drago is painfully bad, at least in a role that requires believable emoting. The man was out-acted by non-English speaking actors reciting their lines phonetically. And they sucked. I can only imagine that Miike's limited English prevented him from perceiving how laughable these performances are, and how utterly they destroy the mood he tried to create. I'm a Miike fan, but this film is a total disaster.

Jason Bovberg 10-26-06 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
This film is a total disaster.

Agreed. It's embarrassing and stupid. Too bad. Oh, and the big reveal at the end? Laughable.

firteen88 08-20-07 11:08 AM

Sorry to revive this topic, but I saw Imprint yesterday...

I've never seen or have even heard of this Masters of horror series but my girlfriend likes it and decided to pick this movie up.

WOWOWOWOW it was the most disgusting movie I've ever seen. I tried closing my eyes at parts so i didn't get sick but the damn sound effects were just as bad. I never felt so sick watching a movie as I did with this. I guess that's why it's called imprint. This movie will def leave an imprint in my mind.

Seantn 08-20-07 01:33 PM

In reality the Masters Of Horrors creators should have issued a warning with this movie.
What, did they need to warn you that this Masters of Horror episode would have some horrific elements in it?