Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last movie that moved you?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last movie that moved you?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
Nobody Knows
Yup, Nobody Knows.
even I don't know either.
Old 09-22-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United 93
Old 09-22-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also like to add another film, The Life Aquatic. The scene at the end when they are all in the sub and they meet the shark.
Don't know quite way but I started crying at that.
Old 09-22-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nobody Knows

Hopefully that clears things up.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 09-23-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jdslater1
I would also like to add another film, The Life Aquatic. The scene at the end when they are all in the sub and they meet the shark.
100% agree, when they all start putting their hands on him. Very touching scene. I had to add that song to my ipod and I get the same feeling each time I hear it.

Almost Famous has several moments like this. The entire bus scene is incredible, especially when Penny says "you are home". I always get the strangest looks from people when I list almost famous as one of the top 5 films of all time. But to me that is the great thing about films, the so called experts can say what they will but sometimes people just connect with a film or a scene.
Old 09-23-06, 06:13 AM
Banned

King Kong.

And, um, the jail scene of Clerks II. Where their friendship is discussed.
Old 09-23-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
recenty...United 93.
Old 09-23-06, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdslater1
It didn't hit me quite that hard, but I definitely know what you are coming from not fully being able to say why. Part of it is probably the score that played during that scene - Sigur Ros is phenomenal. The name of that song from Life Aquatic is Staralfur and it's from their Agaetis Byrjun album. They did some of the same form of heartbreaking tracks in Vanilla Sky as well, which was another film that "moved" me when I saw it and has remained one of my favorites.
Old 09-26-06, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Very rarely will a movie make me cry, but I did get choked up this year with these...

In the theater: United 93
On video: Millions (the scene with the kid talking to his mom really got me)

But the King of the Waterworks for me is still Big Fish.

The only other movies (and TV shows) that really get me are "Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown", It's a Wonderful Life (when George is at the bar praying), and the "My Screw Up" episode of "Scrubs".
Old 09-26-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
The notebook
Crash
Million Dollar Baby

United 93 ...only had me wishing I had been on the plane. Unlike the other person here I was'nt keen enough to just turn it off early.
Old 09-27-06, 12:10 PM

It isn't a movie, but the 18 episodes of Freaks and Geeks taken as a whole moved me like nothing else ever has before when I watched them for the third time this summer. I have never fallen in love with a group of characters and been moved to tears so many times at something like this (and I never cry during movies). The 18 episodes taken as a whole are actually better than any movie I have ever seen. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

As far as movies go, Paris, Texas was the last film that really moved me. I knew when I was watching it that I was watching something incredible, but when it got the long dialogue at the end (I'm trying not to ruin it for anyone) I had a constant chill up my spine and I tears were welling at my eyes the whole time through the end of the film. It's been a few months since I've seen it but hardly a day goes by when I don't think of this film or at least of the shot where Harry Dean Stanton's character's face is reflected in the window right over the face of Nastassja Kinski's character who is trying to look through the one-way mirror at him. Beautiful stuff.

Last edited by Jackson_Browne; 09-27-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I vote for Mr. Burns' movie. Let's just say it moved me TO A BIGGER HOUSE!

Last edited by majorjoe23; 09-27-06 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-29-06, 05:33 PM

Crash certainly had me crying like a baby, and Hotel Rwanda, too.
Oh, and I recently had another look at Empire of the Sun. Man I love this movie, and of course the last scene had me balling my eyes out.
A movie where I really never expected to cry was Black Hawk Down, but that little speech at the end. Bad.
Old 10-04-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely United 93. I know this thread "ended" a couple days ago, but I blind bought United 93 about a month ago and just now got around to watching it and I remembered this thread and after seeing it I was compelled to write something. Say what you want about it not necessarily being true or what have you, but it was definitely a moving film. In fact this is the ONLY movie that has ever made me cry. I tear up at the end of Rudy and ET and a few others, but this movie caused tears to stream down my face. I swear to God I can't remember the last time I actually cried--I've been to a few funerals in my short life (an aunt and all grandparents) and none of the funerals affected me the way this movie did. I don't really know what that says about me, but it's the truth.
Old 10-04-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Last edited by inri222; 10-04-06 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Definitely United 93. I know this thread "ended" a couple days ago, but I blind bought United 93 about a month ago and just now got around to watching it and I remembered this thread and after seeing it I was compelled to write something. Say what you want about it not necessarily being true or what have you, but it was definitely a moving film. In fact this is the ONLY movie that has ever made me cry. I tear up at the end of Rudy and ET and a few others, but this movie caused tears to stream down my face. I swear to God I can't remember the last time I actually cried--I've been to a few funerals in my short life (an aunt and all grandparents) and none of the funerals affected me the way this movie did. I don't really know what that says about me, but it's the truth.
well said whoop.
Old 10-05-06, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i've only watched the first 20 minutes of Yi Yi (criterion collection), and it has moved me already for some reason. i have good feelings about the remainder of the film.

the last few films i can think of to really move me were Big Fish, Eternal Sunshine, and Elizabethtown.

the film that probably moved me more than any would probably be Requiem For A Dream or American History X
Old 10-05-06, 01:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TheySentYou

the last few films i can think of to really move me were ... Elizabethtown.

oddly I cried tears of joy and exclaimed 'Oh thank the lord, it's finally over'
Old 10-05-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Sea Inside

The last movie the caused me to have a movement was Ultraviolet.