Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin DEAD!!!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still in shock about this... I just can't believe it. I feel so sad for his wife and kids!!!

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Dead
Old 09-04-06, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow.

RIP
Old 09-04-06, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
There's a very active thread in Other:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=476562
Old 09-04-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
There's a very active thread in Other:

Whoops! My bad.... I figured with him being in movies and all, this would be the place to post it.

Mods, feel free to combine this with the other.
Old 09-04-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by bwsmom
I'm still in shock about this... I just can't believe it.
Ditto.
Old 09-04-06, 01:28 AM
Banned

I'm totally shocked! Wasn't he wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) while filming this documentary to prevent such an fatal accident from occuring?
Old 09-04-06, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I'm totally shocked! Wasn't he wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) while filming this documentary to prevent such an fatal accident from occuring?
Since he's dead, my guess would be:

No.
Old 09-04-06, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Krikey!
Old 09-04-06, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering that only two people on record have died of this down under, It wouldn't be some high risk danger move.

This is a freak accident even for Steve Irwin's line of duty.
Old 09-04-06, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Crikey
Old 09-04-06, 07:56 AM

Dam a Stingray. Arent the barbs on those long like a long knife when used as a weapon. Crazy. Messed up he had no chance. His heart was punctured on impact.
Old 09-04-06, 09:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Considering that only two people on record have died of this down under, It wouldn't be some high risk danger move.

This is a freak accident even for Steve Irwin's line of duty.
Yes! This may be true, considering Steve Irwin's profession. Being precautious when performing such dangerous task, your safety should always be top priority, regardless what the level of risk may be. Anything is possible, and unpredictable, especially when concerning underwater species. This appears to be a case of negligence on the producers behalf, which they obliviously did not mandate a rule of requirement for Mr. Irwin to wear PPE, during the filming of this project for his own protection. Such a prevention, may have saved his life.
Old 09-04-06, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Seriously, all the times I've watched Steve do water stuff he was wearing his khaki shorts outfit with breathing gear. I always wondered why he did that.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-04-06 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-04-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yes! This may be true, considering Steve Irwin's profession. Being precautious when performing such dangerous task, your safety should always be top priority, regardless what the level of risk may be. Anything is possible, and unpredictable, especially when concerning underwater species. This appears to be a case of negligence on the producers behalf, which they obliviously did not mandate a rule of requirement for Mr. Irwin to wear PPE, during the filming of this project for his own protection. Such a prevention, may have saved his life.

Let me repeat. prior to this, Australia had only ONE death by stingray/manta ray in their history. This is like saying Jay Leno should wear a full fledge rubber suit every night because he is working under some lights that run on huge amounts of electrical current. Not doing so would be neglect on the producers part! FOR SHAME!!

Such prevention wasn't thought so because as the police report, THIS WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT. You really shouldn't be prepared for freak accidents. This is like wearing a hard hard while walking down the street incase the very unlikely case that a piano falls on your head.

Freak accidents like this just really can't be expected to happen. It's tragic that it occured but look at his track record. This man should have been dead a long time ago considering the things he has done.
Old 09-04-06, 02:21 PM
Banned

Let me repeat. prior to this, Australia had only ONE death by stingray/manta ray in their history. This is like saying Jay Leno should wear a full fledge rubber suit every night because he is working under some lights that run on huge amounts of electrical current. Not doing so would be neglect on the producers part! FOR SHAME!!

Such prevention wasn't thought so because as the police report, THIS WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT. You really shouldn't be prepared for freak accidents. This is like wearing a hard hard while walking down the street incase the very unlikely case that a piano falls on your head.

Freak accidents like this just really can't be expected to happen. It's tragic that it occured but look at his track record. This man should have been dead a long time ago considering the things he has done.
Like i've stated before, anything can happen unexpectedly. With all been said, would you allow yourself to be in close contact with a deadly, venomous parasite when being provoked, that can result in a fatal accident, without being protected? nothing should be taken for granted, no matter what.
Old 09-04-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And like I said, you might as well walk out everyday in your daily life wearing a flak jacket for any random potential of being shot, a helmet in case some large objects fall on you when you take the chance of walking around an area with anything above your head.

Your "warning" is also made moot when you consider the fact that he did not see this coming at all because he didn't even know their was a stingray below him. He was diving near the bottom and the stingray, who was hidden, felt he was being attacked and by the small chance, the stinger went through his heart.

Lets put it this way, your suggestion should also be on the terms of suggesting that someone walking in a park should wear a protective face gear because who knows when a dog will randomly fly out of the bushes and bite your face off.

Yeah, stupid impractical advice, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-04-06 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 02:55 PM
Banned

And like I said, you might as well walk out everyday in your daily life wearing a flak jacket for any random potential of being shot, a helmet in case some large objects fall on you when you take the chance of walking around an area with anything above your head.

Your "warning" is also made moot when you consider the fact that he did not see this coming at all because he didn't even know their was a stingray below him. He was diving near the bottom and the stingray, who was hidden, felt he was being attacked and by the small chance, the stinger went through his heart.

Lets put it this way, your suggestion should also be on the terms of suggesting that someone walking in a park should wear a protective face gear because who knows when a dog will randomly fly out of the bushes and bite your face off.

Yeah, stupid impractical advice, wouldn't you say?
All of those were just a waste of words. Were not speaking of pianos, dogs, goldfish, cats, birdd, cows, bats, guppies, rats, hamsters, or whatever else you may come up with. This accident could have been avoided if he was wearing PPE...Case close!
By the way, your the one who's appearing to be stupid, and impractical, not me.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 09-04-06 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ha ha ha ha. "CASE CLOSED!!1111". Your "He should have known" is such bullshit because of the whole freak accident label of what occured.

This is exactly like saying that any random driver doing daily runs should have been wearing nascar protective gear while driving to avoid the potential of crashing and burning to death in an accident.

The park statement still stands, why don't people have chainmail under their cloths while walking in the park? I mean, you never know when a rabid squirrel will jump out of the tree feeling threatened and bite them.

It was a FREAK ACCIDENT. They call them that for a specific reason. They are pretty much out of no where and by some small chance, the sting went through his rib cage. That also goes without saying, even with PPE gear, who knows if the stinger went through his front or his back. Hell, even getting the stinger in the head would have killed him. So should he have been wearing a full head piece?

You can't make a statement that he would have been safe with one piece of eqiupment because as stated.. FREAK ACCIDENT.

By the way, your the one who's appearing to be stupid, and impractical, not me
I'm not the one suggesting that he should have expected a FREAK ACCIDENT to occur. Not sure how many times you go out wearing a flak jacket if you are going to a bank.. Just incase a bank robbery occurs. But this sort of thing happens even less than that.
Old 09-04-06, 03:16 PM
Banned

Ha ha ha ha. "CASE CLOSED!!1111". Your "He should have known" is such bullshit because of the whole freak accident label of what occured.

This is exactly like saying that any random driver doing daily runs should have been wearing nascar protective gear while driving to avoid the potential of crashing and burning to death in an accident.

The park statement still stands, why don't people have chainmail under their cloths while walking in the park? I mean, you never know when a rabid squirrel will jump out of the tree feeling threatened and bite them.

It was a FREAK ACCIDENT. They call them that for a specific reason. They are pretty much out of no where and by some small chance, the sting went through his rib cage. That also goes without saying, even with PPE gear, who knows if the stinger went through his front or his back. Hell, even getting the stinger in the head would have killed him. So should he have been wearing a full head piece?

You can't make a statement that he would have been safe with one piece of eqiupment because as stated.. FREAK ACCIDENT.

I'm not the one suggesting that he should have expected a FREAK ACCIDENT to occur. Not sure how many times you go out wearing a flak jacket if you are going to a bank.. Just incase a bank robbery occurs. But this sort of thing happens even less than that.
You are a big JOKE. Your future imbecilic replies on this thread will be completely ignored. I refuse to reduce myself to your level.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 09-04-06 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 04:31 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Being precautious when performing such dangerous task, your safety should always be top priority, regardless what the level of risk may be.
Swimming is dangerous? Perhaps oxygen tanks should be mandated too!

Public Service Announcement: Make sure you are properly grounded when posting on the interweb.
Old 09-04-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I think it's time I dusted my furniture. Better put on my full haz-mat suit and order an evacuation of the area, just in case there's some kind of dangerous microbe hidden somewhere in my living room.
Old 09-04-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like i've stated before, anything can happen unexpectedly. With all been said, would you allow yourself to be in close contact with a deadly, venomous parasite when being provoked, that can result in a fatal accident, without being protected? nothing should be taken for granted, no matter what.
irwin wasn't filming a documentary about stingrays. apparently they were just in the area.

it really was a random thing.

i would say if he knew he was going to be dealing with them, it'd make sense to wear something protective i suppose. but you might as well put him in a shark cage, because you never know ...
Old 09-04-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 09-05-06, 03:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

You are a big JOKE. Your future imbecilic replies on this thread will be completely ignored. I refuse to reduce myself to your level.
SINGLE104, personal attacks are against forum rules. In the future, please avoid making insulting comments like this.