Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin DEAD!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin DEAD!!!

Old 09-04-06, 01:21 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,040
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin DEAD!!!

I'm still in shock about this... I just can't believe it. I feel so sad for his wife and kids!!!

"Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Dead
bwsmom is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 01:36 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
CKMorpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,023
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow.


RIP
CKMorpheus is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 01:42 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,856
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a very active thread in Other:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=476562
Buford T Pusser is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 01:46 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,040
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
There's a very active thread in Other:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=476562

Whoops! My bad.... I figured with him being in movies and all, this would be the place to post it.

Mods, feel free to combine this with the other.
bwsmom is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 01:50 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,803
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bwsmom
I'm still in shock about this... I just can't believe it.
Ditto.
Maxflier is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 02:28 AM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm totally shocked! Wasn't he wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) while filming this documentary to prevent such an fatal accident from occuring?
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 02:36 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,443
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I'm totally shocked! Wasn't he wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) while filming this documentary to prevent such an fatal accident from occuring?
Since he's dead, my guess would be:

No.
The Infidel is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 05:11 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Perkinsun Dzees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 3,029
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Krikey!
Perkinsun Dzees is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 06:34 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I'm totally shocked! Wasn't he wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) while filming this documentary to prevent such an fatal accident from occuring?

Considering that only two people on record have died of this down under, It wouldn't be some high risk danger move.

This is a freak accident even for Steve Irwin's line of duty.
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 07:59 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crikey
matome is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 08:56 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 716
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dam a Stingray. Arent the barbs on those long like a long knife when used as a weapon. Crazy. Messed up he had no chance. His heart was punctured on impact.
BBEANLPHIE is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 10:00 AM
  #12  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Considering that only two people on record have died of this down under, It wouldn't be some high risk danger move.

This is a freak accident even for Steve Irwin's line of duty.
Yes! This may be true, considering Steve Irwin's profession. Being precautious when performing such dangerous task, your safety should always be top priority, regardless what the level of risk may be. Anything is possible, and unpredictable, especially when concerning underwater species. This appears to be a case of negligence on the producers behalf, which they obliviously did not mandate a rule of requirement for Mr. Irwin to wear PPE, during the filming of this project for his own protection. Such a prevention, may have saved his life.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 10:03 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,598
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
I'm totally shocked! Wasn't he wearing PPE (personal protective equipment) while filming this documentary to prevent such an fatal accident from occuring?
Seriously, all the times I've watched Steve do water stuff he was wearing his khaki shorts outfit with breathing gear. I always wondered why he did that.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-04-06 at 10:07 AM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 01:36 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Yes! This may be true, considering Steve Irwin's profession. Being precautious when performing such dangerous task, your safety should always be top priority, regardless what the level of risk may be. Anything is possible, and unpredictable, especially when concerning underwater species. This appears to be a case of negligence on the producers behalf, which they obliviously did not mandate a rule of requirement for Mr. Irwin to wear PPE, during the filming of this project for his own protection. Such a prevention, may have saved his life.

Let me repeat. prior to this, Australia had only ONE death by stingray/manta ray in their history. This is like saying Jay Leno should wear a full fledge rubber suit every night because he is working under some lights that run on huge amounts of electrical current. Not doing so would be neglect on the producers part! FOR SHAME!!

Such prevention wasn't thought so because as the police report, THIS WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT. You really shouldn't be prepared for freak accidents. This is like wearing a hard hard while walking down the street incase the very unlikely case that a piano falls on your head.

Freak accidents like this just really can't be expected to happen. It's tragic that it occured but look at his track record. This man should have been dead a long time ago considering the things he has done.
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 03:21 PM
  #15  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Let me repeat. prior to this, Australia had only ONE death by stingray/manta ray in their history. This is like saying Jay Leno should wear a full fledge rubber suit every night because he is working under some lights that run on huge amounts of electrical current. Not doing so would be neglect on the producers part! FOR SHAME!!

Such prevention wasn't thought so because as the police report, THIS WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT. You really shouldn't be prepared for freak accidents. This is like wearing a hard hard while walking down the street incase the very unlikely case that a piano falls on your head.

Freak accidents like this just really can't be expected to happen. It's tragic that it occured but look at his track record. This man should have been dead a long time ago considering the things he has done.
Like i've stated before, anything can happen unexpectedly. With all been said, would you allow yourself to be in close contact with a deadly, venomous parasite when being provoked, that can result in a fatal accident, without being protected? nothing should be taken for granted, no matter what.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 03:42 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And like I said, you might as well walk out everyday in your daily life wearing a flak jacket for any random potential of being shot, a helmet in case some large objects fall on you when you take the chance of walking around an area with anything above your head.

Your "warning" is also made moot when you consider the fact that he did not see this coming at all because he didn't even know their was a stingray below him. He was diving near the bottom and the stingray, who was hidden, felt he was being attacked and by the small chance, the stinger went through his heart.

Lets put it this way, your suggestion should also be on the terms of suggesting that someone walking in a park should wear a protective face gear because who knows when a dog will randomly fly out of the bushes and bite your face off.

Yeah, stupid impractical advice, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 09-04-06 at 03:45 PM.
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 03:55 PM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
And like I said, you might as well walk out everyday in your daily life wearing a flak jacket for any random potential of being shot, a helmet in case some large objects fall on you when you take the chance of walking around an area with anything above your head.

Your "warning" is also made moot when you consider the fact that he did not see this coming at all because he didn't even know their was a stingray below him. He was diving near the bottom and the stingray, who was hidden, felt he was being attacked and by the small chance, the stinger went through his heart.

Lets put it this way, your suggestion should also be on the terms of suggesting that someone walking in a park should wear a protective face gear because who knows when a dog will randomly fly out of the bushes and bite your face off.

Yeah, stupid impractical advice, wouldn't you say?
All of those were just a waste of words. Were not speaking of pianos, dogs, goldfish, cats, birdd, cows, bats, guppies, rats, hamsters, or whatever else you may come up with. This accident could have been avoided if he was wearing PPE...Case close!
By the way, your the one who's appearing to be stupid, and impractical, not me.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 09-04-06 at 04:03 PM.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 04:07 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha ha ha ha. "CASE CLOSED!!1111". Your "He should have known" is such bullshit because of the whole freak accident label of what occured.

This is exactly like saying that any random driver doing daily runs should have been wearing nascar protective gear while driving to avoid the potential of crashing and burning to death in an accident.

The park statement still stands, why don't people have chainmail under their cloths while walking in the park? I mean, you never know when a rabid squirrel will jump out of the tree feeling threatened and bite them.

It was a FREAK ACCIDENT. They call them that for a specific reason. They are pretty much out of no where and by some small chance, the sting went through his rib cage. That also goes without saying, even with PPE gear, who knows if the stinger went through his front or his back. Hell, even getting the stinger in the head would have killed him. So should he have been wearing a full head piece?

You can't make a statement that he would have been safe with one piece of eqiupment because as stated.. FREAK ACCIDENT.

By the way, your the one who's appearing to be stupid, and impractical, not me
I'm not the one suggesting that he should have expected a FREAK ACCIDENT to occur. Not sure how many times you go out wearing a flak jacket if you are going to a bank.. Just incase a bank robbery occurs. But this sort of thing happens even less than that.
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 04:16 PM
  #19  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 1,718
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Ha ha ha ha. "CASE CLOSED!!1111". Your "He should have known" is such bullshit because of the whole freak accident label of what occured.

This is exactly like saying that any random driver doing daily runs should have been wearing nascar protective gear while driving to avoid the potential of crashing and burning to death in an accident.

The park statement still stands, why don't people have chainmail under their cloths while walking in the park? I mean, you never know when a rabid squirrel will jump out of the tree feeling threatened and bite them.

It was a FREAK ACCIDENT. They call them that for a specific reason. They are pretty much out of no where and by some small chance, the sting went through his rib cage. That also goes without saying, even with PPE gear, who knows if the stinger went through his front or his back. Hell, even getting the stinger in the head would have killed him. So should he have been wearing a full head piece?

You can't make a statement that he would have been safe with one piece of eqiupment because as stated.. FREAK ACCIDENT.


I'm not the one suggesting that he should have expected a FREAK ACCIDENT to occur. Not sure how many times you go out wearing a flak jacket if you are going to a bank.. Just incase a bank robbery occurs. But this sort of thing happens even less than that.
You are a big JOKE. Your future imbecilic replies on this thread will be completely ignored. I refuse to reduce myself to your level.

Last edited by SINGLE104; 09-04-06 at 04:29 PM.
SINGLE104 is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 05:31 PM
  #20  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,958
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Being precautious when performing such dangerous task, your safety should always be top priority, regardless what the level of risk may be.
Swimming is dangerous? Perhaps oxygen tanks should be mandated too!

Public Service Announcement: Make sure you are properly grounded when posting on the interweb.
The Cow is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 05:52 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,443
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's time I dusted my furniture. Better put on my full haz-mat suit and order an evacuation of the area, just in case there's some kind of dangerous microbe hidden somewhere in my living room.
The Infidel is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 06:32 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,197
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
Like i've stated before, anything can happen unexpectedly. With all been said, would you allow yourself to be in close contact with a deadly, venomous parasite when being provoked, that can result in a fatal accident, without being protected? nothing should be taken for granted, no matter what.
irwin wasn't filming a documentary about stingrays. apparently they were just in the area.

it really was a random thing.

i would say if he knew he was going to be dealing with them, it'd make sense to wear something protective i suppose. but you might as well put him in a shark cage, because you never know ...
pdinosaur is offline  
Old 09-04-06, 07:54 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Blake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Orange
Posts: 7,736
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=476562
Blake is offline  
Old 09-05-06, 04:20 PM
  #24  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SINGLE104
You are a big JOKE. Your future imbecilic replies on this thread will be completely ignored. I refuse to reduce myself to your level.
SINGLE104, personal attacks are against forum rules. In the future, please avoid making insulting comments like this.
Dead is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.