Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that were overrated because of the twist.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that were overrated because of the twist.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Yeah, Slevin was predictable from the beginning. That said, the movie was still fairly entertaining despite that.
Old 09-05-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re:saw
Originally Posted by cruzness
I will also call BS. Absolutely nothing tells you the twist.
I disagree. I won't claim I called the twist, but use your ears. I knew something was up from the voice acting. I knew the voice and the face/actor that went with it & it didn't go with any of the actors in the movie that the director gave us
Spoiler:
(i.e. the janitor).
Of course they never show the guy's face on the floor, otherwise it would have sealed it for me.

Of course it still floored me when it was revealed.

Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Matchstick men
Which part?
the fact that
Spoiler:
the protagonist got conned himself by his partner & fake daughter?
I thought that was quite telegraphed and easy to predict. Kinda similar to Palmetto.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it's been a while since I saw that one.
Old 09-05-06, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hapgilmore
The Sixth Sense and every other movie Shyamalan has made...he sucks
I was scanning the thread to see who was going to be the first to slam Shyamalan's movies.

We have a winner.
Old 09-05-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I was scanning the thread to see who was going to be the first to slam Shyamalan's movies.

We have a winner.
He's far from the first.

I like Night. He just needs to ground himself and get back to basics.
Old 09-06-06, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Crying Game is the hands down winner. I have never seen a more boring movie be so highly praised. By the time the twist came I didn't care in the least what happened to anyone remotely involved in the plot.

As for Suspects, and Saw, I think these are great movies with or without the twist endings. With Suspects, I also believe part of the idea of the twist is to make you question everything you just heard. Mr. Kint undoubtedly knew who Agent Cujan was and of his relentless quest for Kaiser Soze. All he had to do was give him a story he could believe until he let him go. He didn't have to corraborate any facts or evidence other than who was dead or what property was damaged.

I don't think you can call the way a film is structured a twist really and therefore I throw Pulp Fiction out of the discussion. It has entertaining stories woven together in an entertaining way. It doesn't rely on any twist to wow audiences. It is just well put together. Don't hold that against it.

As for The Sixth Sense, I watched the entire movie knowing the twist as one of my friends blurted it out before I saw it and I still enjoyed it.
Old 09-06-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not really overrated per se, but since this thread has predictably turned into 'Movies that sucked because of the twist' I submit:

High Tenson
Old 09-06-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Which part?
the fact that
Spoiler:
the protagonist got conned himself by his partner & fake daughter?
I thought that was quite telegraphed and easy to predict. Kinda similar to Palmetto.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but it's been a while since I saw that one.
Spoiler:
Not just by his partner and fake daughter, but getting everyone else in on the con... basically everyone except Cage's character was in on it, right down to the guy who realized he'd been conned and chased them in the parking garage and the fake therapist and cops. Thought it was a pretty good twist, personally.
Old 09-06-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by whaaat
Not really overrated per se, but since this thread has predictably turned into 'Movies that sucked because of the twist' I submit:

High Tenson
Agreed. Worst twist ending ever. Not sure why it took three pages of posts before someone mentioned it. And I did like much of the rest of the movie until the completely gratuitous "surprise" which had absolutely no credibility within the context of the prior plot.

Also, I have to say that whatever someone might have thought about the The Sixth Sense overall, the twist was the most predictable ever. Anyone who was 'startled' by the big reveal in that one must also be thrown for a loop every morning when the sun rises in the east.
Old 09-07-06, 09:02 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whaaat

High Tenson
If we're going that route I'd like to add Hide & Seek and Secret Window, two more films I thought had decent momentum going on until the twist.