Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that were overrated because of the twist.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that were overrated because of the twist.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crying Game, IMO.
Old 09-04-06, 11:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The Sixth Sense was an excellent film, with or without the twist. Ditto The Crying Game.

As for Saw, if somebody had told me there was a twist before I saw it, I might have guessed it...but it would have been just a guess since, as others have said, there's no clues or tipoffs.

Last edited by Groucho; 09-04-06 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-04-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Inverse
The Usual Suspects. Everyone raves about the twist but nobody ever stops to think that the twist makes the rest of the movie vastly less interesting ... pointless, in fact. It's the modern day equivalent of "Oh, it was all just a dream after all!"
Did you not stop to think that without the rest of the movie, there would be no twist at all? That's the whole point of the twist.

Anyway, for me, even though the movie wasn't that great, the twist in The Forgotten made it worse for me. I had high hopes for that movie too. Freedomland was also made worse by the twist. I guess Juliana Moore doesn't twist that well.
Old 09-04-06, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ummm...all of the above?

Name a movie that wasn't overrated because of the twist.
Old 09-04-06, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Smithers
Ummm...all of the above?

Fight Club, Usual Suspects, Sixth Sense, etc., all made the movies better for me.
Old 09-04-06, 12:36 PM

Ummm...all of the above?

Yeah, I tend to not care for twist movies. Even the ones I enjoyed on first viewing, none of them have any replay value to me. I don't think I own one movie on DVD that has the big twist ending, like those mentioned above.

I guess the big "twist" in the Empire Strikes Back is more of a big "revelation" (during its original theatrical release, of course) ...

Last edited by lawyer goodwill; 09-04-06 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-04-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Additionally, I go for Uzumaki - people seem to love it, I got kind of bored despite all the twists. Some neat visuals though.
Old 09-04-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I've never believed a single person that said they predicted the twist in Saw, and I'm not about to start. There is NOTHING to suggest that would happen, nothing to base that on, except sheer guess. If you are saying you "guessed" randomly and with no basis that he was xx xxx xxxx, then fine, but that's it.
Okay. I guessed something randomly early on as an idea in my head and stayed with my guess since it seemed workable. I suppose that's not a prediction because I didn't know for a set fact since there was a lack of evidence.
Spoiler:
I had a feeling that the guy in the center of the room was still alive, had something to do with the events unfolding, and would eventually get up near the end of the flick. What did give me a jolt was that he was the antagonist himself.
So yeah, I'll retract a portion of my statement that I saw the complete ending from a mile away.
Old 09-04-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The Usual Suspects. Everyone raves about the twist but nobody ever stops to think that the twist makes the rest of the movie vastly less interesting ... pointless, in fact. It's the modern day equivalent of "Oh, it was all just a dream after all!"
It wasn't a dream or fake story, the events shown in the film happened as told by Verbal. Only some names had been changed.
Old 09-04-06, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It wasn't a dream or fake story, the events shown in the film happened as told by Verbal. Only some names had been changed.
And you know this because ....
Old 09-04-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I always thought The Sixth Sense was very overrated...I just didn't buy it. How did Bruce Willis go on all that time without noticing anybody but the kid ignoring him?

Best twist ever? scruoc fo ,otnemem
Old 09-04-06, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Okay. I guessed something randomly early on as an idea in my head and stayed with my guess since it seemed workable. I suppose that's not a prediction because I didn't know for a set fact since there was a lack of evidence.
Spoiler:
I had a feeling that the guy in the center of the room was still alive, had something to do with the events unfolding, and would eventually get up near the end of the flick. What did give me a jolt was that he was the antagonist himself.
So yeah, I'll retract a portion of my statement that I saw the complete ending from a mile away.
Spoiler:
"wouldn't it be cool if the guy was in the room
is worlds away from "I saw it coming from a mile away".
Old 09-04-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Spoiler:
"wouldn't it be cool if the guy was in the room
is worlds away from "I saw it coming from a mile away".
Okay.
Old 09-04-06, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
And you know this because ....
Because certain elements of the story would've been able to be corroborated by outside evidence, and we see the cops doing this in the film. The intro of the film is also outside of Verbal's story and corroborates parts of it.

Now...
Spoiler:
I can understand why the revelation of an unreliable narrator can throw in doubt everything about the story; and certainly, certain details about the story may be untrue. However, to assume that the entire story was fabricated is to assume that Verbal constructed on the fly a story that was completely different from what happened but still fit any facts the Police may or may not know or find out. Also, this completely different story would still have the explain the creation of the alternate identity of Verbal and his inclusion in the initial roundup if it wasn't to do exaclty as the story plays out, to infiltrate and manipulate the gang from the inside.

Also, from a storytelling perspective, it'd be a bit much for the filmmakers to intend for the audience to discount everything in the film up to the ending as false. It would cause a rejection of the movie, as you yourself have done. Rather, it's clear that they intended for everything about Verbal's story to be viewed as true with the exception of certain names and the true identity of Keyser Soze.
Old 09-04-06, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Matchstick men
Old 09-04-06, 04:06 PM

Ummm...all of the above?

Primal Fear. I think that is a great movie and the ending is icing on the cake. Fight Club is another one that would be just as good without the twist ending. Saw was a pretty good movie too and the end just made it better.
Old 09-04-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Empire Strikes Back
Old 09-05-06, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All i can think about are those M. Night Shyamalan skits on "Robot Chicken".

"What a twist!"
Old 09-05-06, 05:18 AM

I agree with The Usual Suspects.
Old 09-05-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DVDsAreMyLIFE
Matchstick men
Wow, if you saw that one coming, I bow to your twist-spotting ability. It caught me by surprise and I thought it was extremely well handled. Matchstick Men is a under-appreciated little movie, IMO.

Also, The Usual Suspects is a overrated movie but I'm not sure it's because of the twist. To me, it's more because the movie is almost completely one-dimensional and superficial and is totally lacking in any sort of emotional impact. As a narrative it does have an interesting structure, but I didn't find it very involving.
Old 09-05-06, 12:30 PM

I have to agree with the others Sixth Sense was entirely about the twist, without the twist (or for those who saw through it) the movie was dull and boring. When I saw it I had not yet heard there was a twist so I was watching it the entire time thinking
Spoiler:
that he was dead
so when the big reveal came I was left with a meh reaction.

Crying game was 100% shock value to people and a horrible movie other than that.
Old 09-05-06, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Crying Game, IMO.
I second that. I Hated this movie.
Old 09-05-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Lucky Number Slevin

I could see the twist coming from 52.67 miles away.

Old 09-05-06, 12:49 PM
Banned

I'm wondering if you got it then. The twist has HUGE implications on the rest of the film.
Old 09-05-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Lucky Number Slevin

I could see the twist coming from 52.67 miles away.
Spoiler:
if they would've found a kid that didn't look EXACTLY like Josh Hartnett, i would've been fooled for a good chunk of this movie. I saw the kid and immediately knew who he was supposed to be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.