Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about "Infamous" trailer

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-03-06, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this trailer before watching The Illusionist this weekend. It looks like essentially the same movie as Capote, so does anyone know why it was made? Just curious if I'm missing something here.
Old 09-03-06, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe that this is a classic case of Hollywood producing two similarly-themed movies at the same time(see Deep Impact/Armageddon, Volcano/Dante's Peak, et al). Capote came out last year and, so as not to compete, the studio pushed the picture back to this fall so it could have a chance at some Oscar gold.

That being said, I must say that the movie does look interesting. I absolutely loved Capote and thought it was one of the best movies of last year, but I do think that the actor who portrays Capote in Infamous, Toby Jones, looks and sounds much more like Truman than Philip Seymour Hoffman did.
Old 10-02-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

starting to see this trailer more now. do you think it has any oscar chances since hoffman won last year? it seems weird that they make two movies about the same guy with different lead actors, but that's just me.
Old 10-03-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Would it seem less weird if they made two movies about the same guy with the same lead actor?
Old 10-03-06, 12:15 PM

Whoa. I misread the first post and thought you were saying that The Illusionist looked like Capote. I was like until I figured it out.
Old 10-03-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It happens. Kind of like when Without Limits and Prefontaine came out in successive years. Loved Capote, and the cast alone makes me interested in seeing Infamous, but judging from the trailer, doesn't look as good as Capote. Hopefully I'm wrong.

cheers,

-the Jesus