Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else going to the TIFF this year?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got confirmation for 25 films including the controversial "D.O.A.P." that seems to be all over the press right now. There are some pretty interesting films this year. I'm looking forward to a bunch actually.
Old 09-04-06, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TIFF?
Old 09-04-06, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toronto International Film Festival

D.O.A.P.?
Old 09-04-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Toronto International Film Festival

D.O.A.P.?
I had to look it up.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/wo...bfcd82&k=48667
A controversial mock documentary showing the imagined assassination of U.S. President George W. Bush will debut at the Toronto International Film Festival next week and be aired on a British television channel next month.

The British film, Death of a President, which the festival refers to as D.O.A.P., mixes archival footage and computer-generated imagery to give a chillingly realistic representation of a killing.

In the film, the president makes a speech to business leaders in Chicago and faces a massive anti-war demonstration. He is shot by a sniper as he leaves the venue, and the investigation into his killing focuses on a Syrian-born man.

The 93-minute film acts as an investigative documentary made years after the 2007 killing and features protesters outside the Chicago hotel, suspects in the shooting, the Secret Service men who failed to protect their charge, the press and an array of experts.

"This is easily the most dangerous and breathtakingly original film I have encountered this year," Noah Cowan, co-director of the film festival, wrote in an online description of the film.

"As one might expect, [director Gabriel Range] is ultimately interested in addressing today's political issues through the lens of the future ... The film is never a personal attack on Bush; Range simply seeks to explore the potential consequences that might follow from the President's policies and actions."

The film's producers hope to sell the rights to broadcast Death of a President in the United States after its debut.

Death of a President will be aired on Channel Four's digital channel More4 on Oct. 9 in Britain. Peter Dale, head of More4, said the drama was a "thought-provoking critique" of contemporary U.S. society.

He added: "It's an extraordinarily gripping and powerful piece of work, a drama constructed like a documentary that looks back at the assassination of George Bush as the starting point for a very gripping detective story.

"It's a pointed political examination of what the war on terror did to the American body politic.

"I'm sure that there will be people who will be upset by it, but when you watch it you realize what a sophisticated piece of work it is.

"It's not sensationalist or simplistic, but a very thought-provoking, powerful drama. I hope people will see that the intention behind it is good."

A White House spokesperson told Entertainment Tonight Canada that the film "doesn't dignify a response."

Mr. Range's first experiment with the style -- combining real footage and a fictional storyline -- was a 2003 film called The Day Britain Stopped, which looked at the results of Britain's transit grid shutting down.

The Toronto International Film Festival begins on Sept. 7. It is also screening the film The Prisoner or: How I Planned to Kill Tony Blair. The film uses a comic-book motif to tell the story of an Iraqi cameraman's wrongful arrest and interrogation by U.S. forces.
Old 09-04-06, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, this thread was way more work than it needed to be.
Old 09-04-06, 08:21 AM

I was just seeing if anyone else was going. The films I'm most interested in seeing are "The Fountain" starring Hugh Jackman, Renasance and "Time" by KiDuk. I guess not many people on here attend!
Old 09-04-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
D.O.A.P.?
I thought maybe it was another ripoff of Snakes on a Plane. Dinosaurs on a Plane, maybe.
Old 09-04-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dinosaurs on a plane would be the best movie of all time. I'm waiting to score a few single tix for TIFF.

MATT
Old 09-04-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts
I'm not going this year, but there are a few films I'd like to check out.

One being Herzog's Rescue Dawn.
The film is based on his amazing documentary Little Dieter Needs to Fly and stars Christian Bale, Steve Zhan and Jeremy Davies.
Old 09-04-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
I thought maybe it was another ripoff of Snakes on a Plane. Dinosaurs on a Plane, maybe.

The image of Sam Jackson saying "FUCK YOU!" to a trex crammed in a 747 got me laughin'.
Old 09-04-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by splattii2
I guess not many people on here attend!
The point is, if you had bothered to write a thread title or first post that let people know what the hell you were talking about, you probably would have gotten a better response. TIFF isn't a common abreviation, and neither is D.O.A.P.

Maybe e-mail a mod and ask for a threa title change to "Anyone else going to the Toronto film festival?"
Old 09-05-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm going. I got tickets for pretty much everything I wanted except for Borat. Here is what I'm seeing:

Thursday 7th
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Fido

Friday 8th
Lights in the Dusk
The Prisoner
The Silence
Suburban Mayhem

Saturday 9th
The Pervert's Guide to Cinema
US vs John Lennon
Love and Other Disasters
Rescue Dawn

Sunday 10th
Monkey Warfare
Shortbus

Monday 11th
For Your Consideration
10 Items of Less
Fay Grim
Sleeping Dogs Lie

Tuesday 12th
Coeurs
Outsourced
This is England

Wednesday 13th
Mon Meillieur
Little Children
Golden Door
Jindabyne

Thursday 14th
Trapped Ashes
The Fountain
Invisible Waves
So Goes the Nation
Severance

Friday 15th
Infamous
Hottest State
Death of a President

Saturday 16th
Day Night, Day Night
Un Crime
Paris, Je T'aime
Old 09-06-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pjflyer
I got tickets for pretty much everything I wanted except for Borat.
Tell me about it...I'm pretty devastated I didn't get Borat tix...should have bought the midnight madness pass damn it.

MATT
Old 09-06-06, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
For those attending TIFF, would you care to write a brief summary about your likes/dislikes of the films below (if you are attending the screenings):
- The Host
- The Banquet
- Alatriste
- A Good Year
- Babel
- Big Bang Love, Juvenile A
- Exiled
- Family Ties
- Black Book
- Little Children
- The Fountain
- Pan's Laberynth
- The Last Kiss
- Time
- Volver
Old 09-09-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw Penelope and Borat last night. Two great films. Penelope was charming, sweet, honest and very funny. It's a fairytale that really grabs the viewer, draws you into it's world and entertains the hell out of you. Christina Ricci as great in it, Catherine O'Hara and Peter Dinklage steal most of their scenes and Reese Witherspoon playing slightly against type was nice to see. Just a very fun and inspired movie.

Borat (as I mentioned in the borat trailer thread) was just about the funniest thing I've ever seen and didn't fail to meet my expectations...worth waiting in the rush line for hours (in the rain). I had a very solid day at the fest yesterday. Celeb wise, I saw Paul Haggis, Witherspoon, Ricci, James McAvoy, Richard Roeper, Isla Fisher and Sacha Baron Cohen. Awesome.

MATT
Old 09-09-06, 10:55 AM

I saw a film called "Taxidermia" yesterday. People ending up leaving due to the graphic content of the film. This wasn't a horror or a documentary either, it was an arthouse film. Without ruining anything, it had everything from men ejaculating fire to people removing thier own intestines while still alive and winding them up on firehose wheels. If I listed all of the "bizzare" events (all which were uncensored) that occured in this film I doubt you'd beleive me. What was really impressive was how beautiful it was shot, and how good the movie was above and beyond it's apparent shock value. I will be buying the DVD when it comes out.
Old 09-09-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Id actually attend the TIFF if they were showing Dinosaurs on a Plane