Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Jesus Camp' movie trailer

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'Jesus Camp' movie trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Jesus Camp

here's the playdates/theatrical rollout of the film:

Opening
9/7/2006
Newark, DE: Cinema Center 3 Theatres
Jesus Camp, Mary and Joseph, we're getting the premiere.
Old 09-08-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
More words of wisdom from Dave. (except for Saw, he he...) It would be very interesting to see how the kids are doing in 10 or 15 yrs. Not that kids can't be excited about their faith, but if it's based on pure emotionalism and not solid teaching/principles... they'll get burned out.
Old 09-08-06, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a Christian, but Pentecostal denominations both creep me out and piss me off. I grew up in a Pentecostal church, grandfather was pastor, then I started going to a Baptist for a few years. When in high school I dated someone in a Pentecostal church and I got back into it, then over a year or so I started to see what the church and people were all about, and it made me sick. Now I consider myself non-denominational more than anything else, but I'm most defiantly no longer a part of anything having to do with a Pentecostal church.

For the love of God, please don't watch this movie and think that it is about most Christians, please.
Old 09-10-06, 07:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think the filmmakers are trying to claim that these are representative of all Christian denominations. Rather, they're trying to show that this stuff happens and it's sick to use any religious figure for your own political beliefs. What's even scarier is the idea that these kids don't even have the freedom to disagree.
Old 09-10-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think that's the intention of the filmmakers either, but, well, you know how some people (the viewers) are when they see stuff like this.
Old 09-10-06, 07:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, going off the IMDB review, it sounds like it's in the ballpark of the filmmaker's intentions. No documentarian is agenda-less.
Old 09-10-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except for Michael Moore.
Old 09-10-06, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a Christian and Christians like these kinda freak me out. I've had friends (even my wife) who were very sheltered growing up -- and I would say it did not have positive effects on their upbringing. My wife rebelled and I have one friend who was a culturally ignorant adult for a few years (he's since opened up).

But I do want to see this.
Old 09-10-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
For the love of God, please don't watch this movie and think that it is about most Christians, please.
Even most "Conservative" or "Evangelicals".

My church (http://mosaic.org/) is theologically conservative but nothing like this film.
Old 10-03-06, 07:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I saw a screening of this two weeks ago, followed by a Q & A with the D.O.P. and one of the producers. They mentioned that the people in the film are estatic with how they are portrayed, and that they couldn't be happier with the film.

The film itself was very good. It is scary how easily young kids can be brainwashed into believing anything that adults tell them.
Old 10-04-06, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This trailer is extremely scary and I want to see the film really badly. I have a feeling I will be laughing through most of it. This movie looks to me like republican/conservative propaganda and basically will show why I try to completely avoid religion in my life.
Old 10-04-06, 06:11 AM
Banned

Bingo!
Old 10-04-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, this movie's really going to fuck things up for the normal christians, huh?
Old 10-04-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by freshticles
Wow, this movie's really going to fuck things up for the normal christians, huh?
I think most fair minded people will realize this isn't the norm - even within pentacostal churches. But those that already have a negative view of Christians will no doubt eat this up.
Old 10-04-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You know it's sad when Catholics shake their heads to something and say - "That's fucking crazy!" When did the Catholics stop being the ones who go overboard, and start looking like the sensible ones??

This coming from someone who grew up Catholic.

I seriously think those people read a different bible than the one I read as a child. Either that or I seem to have forgotten the part where we're supposed to make our mulleted children dress up in camouflage and call themselves "God's army".
Old 10-05-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

this might finally get me into a movie theater after a few years

the movie is different enough from the usuall hollywood crap to be interesting
Old 10-05-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
I seriously think those people read a different bible than the one I read as a child. Either that or I seem to have forgotten the part where we're supposed to make our mulleted children dress up in camouflage and call themselves "God's army".
Well, there weren't any admonitions I can recall regarding split-level haircuts or camouflaged attire in the Bible, but there's plenty about that "God's Army" stuff, and what to do about the idolators and heretics in your midst:

"If your brother, the son of your father or of your mother, or your son or daughter, or the spouse whom you embrace, or your most intimate friend, tries to secretly seduce you, saying "Let us go and serve other gods," unknown to you or your ancestors before you, gods of the peoples surrounding you, whether near you or far away, anywhere throughout the world, you must not consent; you must not listen to him; you must show him not pity, you must not spare him or conceal his guilt. No, you must kill him, your hand must strike the first blow in putting him to death and the hands of the rest of the people following. You must stone him to death, since he has tried to divert you from Yahweh your God…” (Deuteronomy 13: 7-11)

“If you hear that in one of the towns which Yahweh your God has given you for a home, there are men, scoundrels from your own stock, who have led their fellow-citizens astray, saying ‘Let us go serve other gods’, hitherto unknown to you, it is your duty to look into the matter, examine it, and inquire most carefully. If it is proved and confirmed that such a hateful thing has taken place among you, you must put the inhabitants of that town to the sword; you must lay it under the curse of destruction--the town and everything in it.” (Deuteronomy 13:12-16)

"[Jesus]: If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." John 15:6

Deuteronomy is not exactly prone to interpretation, but I think Jesus' words can be taken metaphorically. Trouble is, the fundamentalists hew to what they regard as a literal interpretation, and can only interpret Jesus' words as they lay: gather those who do not abide by me, cast them on the fire, burn them. And, of course, Christians dutifully followed that practice for centuries, the "Dark Ages" to most of us, the "good ol' days" I presume for the Jesus Campers.

And as for the harsh punishments for heretics in Deuteronomy (and the Old Testament as a whole), Matthew 5:18 admonishes Christians to fulfill every aspect of Old Testament law. That means that violations of most of the Ten Commandments should result in the death penalty. Take the Lord's name in vain? Death. (Leviticus 24:16) Commit adultery? Death. (Leviticus 20:10) Working on the Sabbath? Death. (Exodus 31:15). Etc.

It's very problematic for "moderate" Christians, as so much of the, ahem, "Good Book" must be jettisoned to correspond with a more liberal interpretation of the Bible. It's why fundamentalists generally win arguments when the ultimate arbiter is "Holy Writ". It's why people who read the Bible cover-to-cover, and study it deeply, tend towards fundamentalism or rejecting the faith altogether. I chose the latter course.
Old 10-05-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

self editing here:

? for Mods: Even though this film is about religion, should it be kept on the film itself or will it go into a full-blown war on Christianity and Biblical interpretation? Cause it's headed there - fast.

Last edited by Artman; 10-05-06 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
This trailer is extremely scary and I want to see the film really badly. I have a feeling I will be laughing through most of it. This movie looks to me like republican/conservative propaganda and basically will show why I try to completely avoid religion in my life.
Just wanted to give you a shout for your sig. I take pride in being the cause of that great characterization of Oklahomans.

Back on topic, damn I wish I would have seen this thread earlier and been able to see the Tulsa showing a few weeks ago.