Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Quiet'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of The Quiet at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23543 and...

I have to say, this movie looks like absolute crap. I appreciate your excellent review Jamie, but I am of the opinion that your review is 10x better written than the actual movie.

Not only that, but if the twist isn't
Spoiler:
the girl is not deaf or mute
then I'll eat my shoe.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 09-01-06 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
But does she and Elisha get naked with each other at some point?
Old 09-01-06, 03:33 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You aren't wrong about the twist, Josh. If I recall, the trailer even kind of makes it obvious. It's not the last twist, though, and the discovery is handled really well. Maybe give it a chance when it's on DVD, because I really think it's worth it.

Thanks for the nice words, too.
Old 09-01-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jamieoni
You aren't wrong about the twist, Josh. If I recall, the trailer even kind of makes it obvious. It's not the last twist, though, and the discovery is handled really well. Maybe give it a chance when it's on DVD, because I really think it's worth it.

Thanks for the nice words, too.
Your review gives you more than enough credit with me. I'll add it to Netflix whenever it gets released, then report back (8 months from now).
Old 09-01-06, 03:57 PM

I just caught a matinee of this... i'm a HUGE fan of "But I'm A Cheerleader" (despite its few flaws) and am now also a fan of "The Quiet." It's an entertaining film and a nice little summer surprise (I hadn't heard of it until today). However, it is different from "But I'm A Cheerleader" in every way possible. There is VERY little nudity in this film (being gay, I'm not interested in that anyways). The only nude scene involves
Spoiler:
the mother
(who does have a surprisingly decent bod.

The "twist" you metioned is there, but isn't really a twist as it is hinted pretty heavilly throughout. [

I would give it 3 out of 5 stars on content. Probably 2.5 stars on replay value- would want to see this again on HD-DVD.
Old 09-01-06, 04:43 PM

if you saw the movie, check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5gcDn0NS7E
Old 09-03-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was only playing at one theater near me for a couple of shows. I thought it was fairly creepy and well-acted. Elisha's lunchroom confession was pretty entertaining
Spoiler:
Would it really be possible to fake everyone at being deaf/mute for 10+ years? That's stretching it a bit.
Old 09-08-06, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
This was only playing at one theater near me for a couple of shows. I thought it was fairly creepy and well-acted. Elisha's lunchroom confession was pretty entertaining
Spoiler:
Would it really be possible to fake everyone at being deaf/mute for 10+ years? That's stretching it a bit.
Spoiler:
Dot mentioned that the only person who didn't previously know she was deaf was her father. I could see someone talking to only one person for 10+ years and nobody else.
Old 09-08-06, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this last night and have to say we really enjoyed it. Pretty depressing stuff. Couple of questions:

Spoiler:
Did the mom know her husband was sleeping with Nina? It would be pretty risky to do that shit in the same house with your wife sleeping right downstairs or down the hall. Also, was Nina a lez as well? Her friend definitely seemed pretty up for it and they were always shown in bed together.
Old 09-08-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ianholm
Saw this last night and have to say we really enjoyed it. Pretty depressing stuff. Couple of questions:

Spoiler:
Did the mom know her husband was sleeping with Nina? It would be pretty risky to do that shit in the same house with your wife sleeping right downstairs or down the hall. Also, was Nina a lez as well? Her friend definitely seemed pretty up for it and they were always shown in bed together.
My friends and I brought up this conversation last night:

Spoiler:
We were assuming the mom knew about it the entire time and that's the reason why she was addicted to the prescription drugs and seemed to be miserable. We don't know why she confessed to Dot's murder, but the only thing we could come up with was she wanted to protect her daughter or she wanted to get the hell out of that miserable life.

I just think Nina was a slut.
Old 09-08-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ianholm

Spoiler:
Yeah pretty much what Matt said.
Spoiler:
You can see in one scene where she's faking sleeping when the Dad gets out of bed to sneak up to Nina's room. I think she took the rap for Dot's murder because she felt guilty for not ever doing anything about it. As far as Nina goes, she seemed totally disinterested in sex with either gender because her father probably pretty much spoiled it for her (guess her friends would be happy to know she wasn't a virgin after all LOL). I'm actually wondering more why Dot gave it up to the perv-o Iceman
Old 09-13-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, I guess I missed some stuff. I actually wanted to see it again, but it's already gone from the theater
Old 02-24-07, 09:33 PM
Banned

I liked this a whole lot more than I expected. Not really a repeat viewing movie (unless you really like the color blue) but very good nonetheless.
I remember seeing the preview and it was marketed as a cookie cutter thriller. It actually gave me the same feel as The Hunger but with no vampires. Maybe it was the piano motif. In the end I know that wasn’t wasted time and I am totally impressed with all the actors involved (as well as the production staff). A very good, if a little “artsy”, film.
Not at all what I expected.