Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Protector starring Tony Jaa (Ong Bak) Sept. 8th

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Protector starring Tony Jaa (Ong Bak) Sept. 8th

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i also think he can have a solid direct to video career, but jaa shouldn't act because he's not an actor, just throw a plot of some evil corporate guys, triad gangs, greedy foreigners, etc. and let them beat the shit out of each other for the rest of the movie.
Old 09-20-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I did like him bumping into Jackie Chan .. was that in the original version?
Yes but it isn't really Jackie.
Old 09-20-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
Yes but it isn't really Jackie.
really? looked just like him .. good casting, then
Old 09-20-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Orndorf
The changes (as far as I could tell):

Spoiler:

- Here’s a huge change: all references to Madam Rose’s transsexuality have been excised.
I think this is a misconception caused by a imperfect translation of a tricky piece of dialogue.

Spoiler:
In the scene where Rose asserts herself as the new leader, someone makes a comment in Chinese about how people would be confused about whether she's a man or a woman. This isn't a reference to her physical sexuality though. In the original Chinese, he's actually commenting about her social behaviour, how she acts more like a man, wanting to take charge of the business and all, then all demure and shy like a woman should be. So he's accusing her of being a feminist, not a transsexual.

Also, in this scene, it's pointed out she has a 3-year old son, whom she kills to become boss. So she's obviously biologically a woman.
Old 09-20-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by cornyt
As far as I could tell, there were no tricks (like in Panic Room) or, like in Rope, moments where a camera focuses on something black that allowed for a seamless cut.
I saw a few places where a cut could've possibly be inserted. In one place, the camera follow's Jaa into a room, then does a quick 180 spin to look back at the doorway. Such a spin could conceal a cut. Also, there were a few moments where the camera panned down to look down the center to the first floor, which disconnects from the action on the current floor, meaning a cut could be hidden there if they could meld two pans together.