Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Thin Red Line vs Saving Private Ryan

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which do you like more
The Thin Red Line
37.76%
Saving Private Ryan
62.24%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

The Thin Red Line vs Saving Private Ryan

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The Thin Red Line vs Saving Private Ryan

Originally Posted by covenant
My vote for worst war movie ever? Pearl Harbor, of course! Honorable Mention goes to Windtalkers....
Were does The Green Berets or Battle of the Bulge fit in?

A few questions:
How is the original Thin Red line compare to the "remake"?
Do you think TRL was good because of Malick's style, the writing, or because of the score?
Will we ever see the longer cut of the movie?
Old 11-24-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout

A few questions:
How is the original Thin Red line compare to the "remake"?
Do you think TRL was good because of Malick's style, the writing, or because of the score?
Will we ever see the longer cut of the movie?
The Battle of the Bulge gets a pass simply because of the Panzerlied!
Old 11-24-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

THE BATTLE OF THE BULGE (1965) is pretty silly on most counts, but it's got such a great cast that it remains highly watchable:

Henry Fonda and Charles Bronson: future co-stars of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

Robert Ryan, Telly Savalas and Bronson: future co-stars of THE DIRTY DOZEN

Plus: Robert Shaw, James MacArthur, George Montgomery, Pier Angeli
Old 11-24-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Panzerlied is the only part of the movie that is even remotely accurate.

I like TRL because it reminds me of laying in a position and just thinking, which you end up doing alot of. Watching insects and the terrain and just thinking about the women in your life. SPR was ok but it is just a Hollywood war movie. It reminded me of Combat. or A walk in the Sun(which is better).

Last edited by arminius; 11-24-10 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-24-10, 07:04 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battle of the Bulge does get a pass for how magnificent Robert Shaw is. Even though they could have just filmed the whole thing in the forest instead of parts taking place in a freakin desert later on.
Old 11-24-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
Name one that's better, other than Full Metal Jacket.
This is like a vicious circle. There are several war movies better than "SPR".
Old 11-24-10, 07:57 PM
En vacance

Originally Posted by Trout
Green Berets is good cause even though whatever message its doing its still fascinating for being one of the first or first Nam movie actually made when it was going on. Those northern trees in that movie conicidentally are more accurate since there is a region in Vietnam like that btw. Also woulda been interesting to see Coppola shoot Apoc Now in 1969 like he originally intended. Really it could have been pulled off except there would not be as much of the hanging corpses or screaming leg soldier.
Old 11-24-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I love SPR. I've started TTRL 3 times and have never been able to finish it, due to boredom. I'll try again sometime.
Old 11-24-10, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
This is like a vicious circle. There are several war movies better than "SPR".
I wouldn't call Full Metal Jacket one of the best war movies, either. Paths of Glory is much better.
Old 11-24-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tommyp007
I love SPR. I've started TTRL 3 times and have never been able to finish it, due to boredom. I'll try again sometime.
I gave it another shot tonight just because of this thread. I got an hour and twenty minutes in and gave up. It's just not interesting enough to keep me engaged. And I've finished some long slooooow movies before, Shoah being one of the most notorious. I may go ahead and buy the book to see whose fault it is, James Jones or Terrence Mallick.

I love this quote from Ebert's review: "My guess is that any veteran of the actual battle of Guadalcanal would describe this movie with an eight-letter word much beloved in the Army." I'm guessing Bullshit.

Last edited by covenant; 11-24-10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-26-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I gave it another shot tonight just because of this thread. I got an hour and twenty minutes in and gave up. It's just not interesting enough to keep me engaged. And I've finished some long slooooow movies before, Shoah being one of the most notorious. I may go ahead and buy the book to see whose fault it is, James Jones or Terrence Mallick.

I love this quote from Ebert's review: "My guess is that any veteran of the actual battle of Guadalcanal would describe this movie with an eight-letter word much beloved in the Army." I'm guessing Bullshit.
Blame Malick, not Jones. The book is easily the greatest war novel I've ever read. The best parts of the movie come right from the book. The worst parts were made up by Malick. E.g. the scenes of Caviezel's character "going native" in the fishing village. There's nothing like that in the book. In fact, Caviezel's character, Pvt. Witt, was an unrepentant racist in the book, as well as a minor character. And Penn is all wrong as Sgt. Welsh, who didn't talk much in the book but made his feelings known through action. Penn talks--and thinks--way too much. Fife (played by Adrien Brody) was a major character in the book, and a very angry one. Seen only briefly in the film, Brody plays him as quiet and timid.

I could go on. But it is instructive to read the book and then see both movie versions.
Old 11-26-10, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks Ash, that confirms my suspicions.

So can we drop the whole: "TRL is better because it comes from source material written by someone who went to war" bullshit?
Old 11-26-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thin Red Line was supposed to be this deep sophisticated thinking man's war picture while SPR is overly simplistic. I tried watching Thin Red Line twice and fell asleep both times (in the middle of the day). The back-story to SPR is simplistic however as a war movie buff I'll admit many of the plots are just an excuse to move the characters from one battle to another.

Count me as another vote for thinking Band Of Brothers was better than either of them. ALthough admittedly they started with a strong book of the same name and being a mini-series they had the time to develop multiple stories and characters that a 2.5 hour movie just can't

Last edited by JimRochester; 11-26-10 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-26-10, 04:31 PM
En vacance

SPR's cliched ridden blockbuster style wouldnt be so bad without the flag waving.
Old 11-26-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Meh...the folks that fought WW2 were a patriotic lot....
Old 11-26-10, 10:33 PM
En vacance

Yeah but some movies arent like Hell is for Heroes.
Old 11-26-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
SPR's cliched ridden blockbuster style wouldnt be so bad without the flag waving.
Old 11-27-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
Damn those people who fight for flag and country! Who the hell do they think they are anyway?! Showoffs! Everyone should be there because they were drafted, and they should hate every minute of it, even the part with the hookers.
Old 11-27-10, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno...I feel fine w/ the Flag waving I guess...it was WW2. I think it's ok to do that in THAT context for the most part. Flag of Our Fathers wasn't like that.
Old 11-29-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Cringe inducing is a good term I'd use to describe Saving Private Ryan. I always thought there were too many corny, audience-manipulating scenes in the film. And that was prior to my introduction to indie/foreign films which revolutionized my film tastes which has since rendered Saving Private Ryan utterly impossible to sit through.

To each his own.
Obviously, you forgot the elements that make SPR great. The movie offers a window back in time to get a sense of how it felt to land on Normany and fight in this war. The sound effects alone were amazing like when they hear the monsterous groan of a German panzer tank approaching.

Also, as a sufferer of tinnitus, one scene perfectly renders the ear ringing sound (which I have to hear on a daily basis) when a grenade goes off nearby.
Old 11-29-10, 12:49 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I don't mind the flag waving. You guys don't seem to understand it. The flag is photographed with the sun behind it so it looks paper thin and fragile and the colors are completely bleached out (in keeping with the color scheme of the whole film). The opening and closing flag shots of SPR seem to be indicating the fragility of the flag, not some rah-rah let's have a parade, stars and stripes forever thing.

TTRL is better than SPR by a mile. SPR's first 30 minutes are a landmark, the rest of the film is very cliched war movie stuff. Also, nobody would be comparing these two if they didn't come out in the same year. Where's the Longest Day vs. Saving Private Ryan thread?
Old 11-29-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

saving private ryan
Old 11-29-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Thin Red Line has better cinematography, and better direction. Otherwise, I prefer SPR.
Old 11-29-10, 03:29 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Obviously, you forgot the elements that make SPR great. The movie offers a window back in time to get a sense of how it felt to land on Normany and fight in this war. The sound effects alone were amazing like when they hear the monsterous groan of a German panzer tank approaching.

Also, as a sufferer of tinnitus, one scene perfectly renders the ear ringing sound (which I have to hear on a daily basis) when a grenade goes off nearby.
Again, no one is arguing that the opening sequence is bad. It's the rest of the movie that bogs down an amazing introduction.
Old 12-14-10, 03:13 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
War movies that are better than Saving Private Ryan: Apocalypse Now, The Dirty Dozen, Where Eagles Dare, All Quiet On The Western Front, The Thin Red Line, The Hurt Locker, Patton, The Longest Day, From Here To Eternity, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Stalag 17, The Deer Hunter, The Grand Illusion, Inglourious Basterds, the list goes on.
Because of this thread, I picked up the Kelly's Heroes/Where Eagles Dare Blu-ray double pack, and I've rewatched Where Eagles Dare for the first time in a long time. I forgot how fantastic this movie is. Slow to start, but the tension really ramps up, and Burton and Eastwood are tremendous. Tom Hanks can't touch either of them, and I think Tom Hanks is great. But the movie has stupendous action, hot ladies, real suspense, and iconic actors in awesome roles. I'll take Where Eagles Dare over ten Saving Private Ryans.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.