Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which movie supprised you the most....ever

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which movie supprised you the most....ever

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-06, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Action Hero and Josie and the Pussycats. Neither movie may be a masterpiece but after seeing both movies cut to shreds by critics I was surprised how much I enjoyed them.

I also remember not expecting much from Braveheart back in the day and being completely blown away by it.
Old 08-23-06, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I refused to see Napoleon Dynamite in the theaters because it looked stupid. My wife bought it blind and I dreaded watching it so it stayed on the shelf for months. Finally watched it because everyone I know kept telling me too and was very pleasantly surprised that it was so entertaining. I've seen it many, many times since.
Old 08-23-06, 10:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by antennaball
I refused to see Napoleon Dynamite in the theaters because it looked stupid. My wife bought it blind and I dreaded watching it so it stayed on the shelf for months. Finally watched it because everyone I know kept telling me too and was very pleasantly surprised that it was so entertaining. I've seen it many, many times since.

even though I really didn't care for this when I did see this in the theatre, I recently rewatched this on DVD and liked it a little more.
Old 08-23-06, 10:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
fixed... just in case someone wanted to look it up
d'oh! Thanks for catching my typo.
Old 08-23-06, 11:23 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
...as for a surprise ENDING, I'd have to say "Jacob's Ladder" is up there for a good mindfuck of an ending.
Old 08-23-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pulp Fiction - Saw this in theaters the first week it opened knowing nothing about it other than four critics gave it **** in the small 3x4" add in the daily paper. I convinced my three other friends to see it only because there was nothing else showing that looked interesting that weekend and we were all blown away.

Donnie Darko - Had heard that this was a cult classic, but knew absolutely nothing about the plot.

The Professional - I knew it was an action movie about a hitman and a young girl. I didn't have a clue how good it would be. I can only imagine what I would have thought if I'd seen Leon first.
Old 08-23-06, 05:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Apone
Se7en - One of those endings that really makes you appreciate the film.

Up until that point I thought filmed makers could be fined and/or imprisoned if they didn't tie up every loose end in a cheerful and happy way for the protagonist. I was slackjawed. I didn't feel like even talking for about 20 minutes to half an hour after I left the theater. I am soooo glad that ending didn't get spoiled for me. And, no, I did not see it coming. I feel like I realized what was going on right when the director wanted me to.

Blew me away. I still contend that this is an absolutely perfect movie with A+ work by every single person on board.

Also, gotta note: Anyone else notice that it was at least as influential, if not more so, than the first Star Wars? It started a sub genre that persists to this day. Also: Most Imitated Credits Sequence Ever.

Last edited by Kudama; 08-23-06 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Moulin Rouge
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
True Romance
Brokeback Mountain
Titanic

It's a Wonderful Life - I avoided it for years while it was still playing 20 times a day. Finally watched it and it's one of my all-time favorites. Only those with evil in their hearts dislike this movie.
Old 08-23-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boiler room
Fight club
Deep blue sea
WaterWorld
Old 08-23-06, 06:38 PM

Galaxy Quest (thought it was gonna be a Tim Allen-Santa Clause in space ...)
Sky High (which is kind of a teeny bopper Galaxy Quest)
Old 08-23-06, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lawyer goodwill
Galaxy Quest (thought it was gonna be a Tim Allen-Santa Clause in space ...)
Sky High (which is kind of a teeny bopper Galaxy Quest)
Good call. While I wasn't blown away, like SE7EN, I was definitely surprised and enjoyed both of them. Thank you Netflix (no, I do not work for them) for making it easy to take a big chance now and again.

Originally Posted by Mordred
The Professional - I knew it was an action movie about a hitman and a young girl. I didn't have a clue how good it would be. I can only imagine what I would have thought if I'd seen Leon first.
I wasn't surprised, but my friend who I dragged to theater was flattened. That's because he hadn't seen La Femme Nikita.

Last edited by Kudama; 08-23-06 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-23-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Shawshank Redemption-- didn't care much for prison movies, saw it on dvd 12 years after it came out in theatres. Became one of my favorites

Forest Gump-- Wasnt interested in seeing this one at all but my friend wanted to see it so I went along and enjoyed it.
Old 08-24-06, 08:15 AM

I'll second Forrest Gump. I absolutely was turned off by the trailer and was determined not to see it. I was blown away and saw it twice in the same weekend.

The same for The Fugitive. A movie about an old TV show? Tommy Lee with this "dog house, hen house" rant in the trailer which got on my nerves? I absolutely loved it and also saw it twice in the same weekend.

Yes, for Shawshank as well. I didn't think it would be one of my top 10 movies.

The Matrix. I had zero expectations. Didn't know a thing about it. Top 5 movie and movie going experience.
Old 08-24-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Napolean Dynamite- Only reason I saw this was because of my wife, and I really liked it.

Batman Begins-I was pretty down on this before it came out, and when I finally watched it, its one of my favs over the last few years.

Xmen 3-Had no interest due to all the "issues", but I was pleasantly surprised at the final product. Masterpiece? Not hardly, but enjoyable summer action flick.
Old 08-24-06, 10:52 AM

Agreed. I had no intention of seeing Napolean and really enjoyed it.

Batman Begins, I just didn't understand what I saw. I didn't understand the desconstructed, pared down bat signal on the posters. Didn't understand the picture of the costume I saw in various boards. Didn't get the new "batmobile". I was at a loss and thought it would be horrible. Was I wrong, one of my favorite movies of that year.

Also: Anchorman -- I had no desire to see this. My brother rented it and it took us 4 hours to finish it because we kept rewinding and missing parts it was so laugh out loud funny. Top 10 comedy on my list.

Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle -- Much better than I expected

Cinderella Man -- I thought it would be another Rocky-esque fight movie. My brother bugged me to check it out. I didn't know it would be about a man strugging to keep his family together. I didn't think I'd be bawling either.
Old 08-24-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fight Club is my definitive pick. I went to the theater on a lark thinking it was just a movie about guys picking fights with strangers. I had no idea idea it would evidential turn into what I consider one of the best films of the past ten years.
Old 08-25-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I agree with X3. I got sick of reading all the crap that people were talking about it months before it had even come to the cinemas. I went in with an open mind and i thought it turned out pretty damn good. I had little hope for Ratner and the more characters that i heard were going to be appearing in the film the more dread grew within me. But i enjoyed it overall. Sure it had some downsides...but most films do. All i can say is that i want more X-men films (and not the New Mutants or whatever bullshit X-men 90210 idea they might try and give us).
Old 08-25-06, 01:00 PM

Spartan - Aparently David Mamet friggin' rocks!
Narc - Wam bam thank you mam!
Endless Summer 2 - 2nd best doc I've ever seen.
Touching the Void - Blown away by this one.
Vinilla Sky - Looked wierd, and it was. It was awsome too.
Old 08-25-06, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The Matrix - Aside from the Superbowl ad, I knew absolutely nothing about it. LOVED IT.

Office Space - It looking amusing in the trailer, but I was literally rolling up and down the aisle in fits of laughter.