Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Edmond - William H. Macy's new flick

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-21-06, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.apple.com/trailers/indepe...dmond/trailer/

Looks fascinating. It's based on the play by and adapted by David Mamet, the writer of such greats as Glengarry Glen Ross, The Edge, The Untouchables, Hoffa, Ronin, and Wag The Dog. I love William H. Macy and I can't wait to see this!
Old 08-21-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it opened here in NYC at two theaters and disappeared almost immediately - I think after just one week. The reviews were decent enough, and indeed it was on my short list of movies to catch - but it snuck away before I had a chance.
Old 08-21-06, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like William H. Macy as much as the next guy...but directed by Stuart Gordon and co-starring Jeffrey Combs -- I'm there.
Old 10-04-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised there isn't much talk about this one on these boards.

I love David Mamet, and I just saw Edmond tonight. I thought it was pretty good...I thought the last half kind of went...well...too talky. Not bad though. Pretty tense at times.

Macy's performance however...outstanding. Some of the best acting work I've seen in a long, long time. And what a daring role.

= J
Old 10-05-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now that this is out on DVD, I'm curious what people have to say about it.

I just watched it last night and loved it. Very brutal, tense, well written, and well acted. Frightening to see Macy's character staring into this dark abyss and then trying to get out of it.
Old 10-05-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Now that this is out on DVD, I'm curious what people have to say about it.

I just watched it last night and loved it. Very brutal, tense, well written, and well acted. Frightening to see Macy's character staring into this dark abyss and then trying to get out of it.
Spoiler:
he doesn't exactly get out of it

I found the movie to be too dark and depressing for my tastes, but I can see why it got great reviews.
Old 10-05-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Spoiler:
he doesn't exactly get out of it

I found the movie to be too dark and depressing for my tastes, but I can see why it got great reviews.
Spoiler:
Doesn't mean he didn't try
Old 10-05-06, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I like William H. Macy as much as the next guy...but directed by Stuart Gordon and co-starring Jeffrey Combs -- I'm there.
I was surprised to see Macy's name here.
Old 10-06-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like Macy, but I didn't care much for this movie. The trailer I saw made it look like a thriller, but it was far from that. The first half was interesting, and then it just fell badly I thought. It was worth seeing it, to see him act, but the story was very lacking.
Old 10-06-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by saoirse
I like Macy, but I didn't care much for this movie. The trailer I saw made it look like a thriller, but it was far from that. The first half was interesting, and then it just fell badly I thought. It was worth seeing it, to see him act, but the story was very lacking.

That is pretty much how I felt after watching it last night. Great performance though...
Old 10-06-06, 06:33 PM
Banned

I was looking forward to this because of Mamet and Gordon, but Combs... ! I am there.

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
Macey as the re-animated Commander in Chief? Holy Cow! I hope this hits theaters.
Old 10-25-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love David Mamet and for me, this is really up there with House of Games and Glengarry Glen Ross. I absolutely adored it from start to finish. It felt like Mamet's homage to After Hours.

With Stuart Gordon in the director's chair, I was worried that Mamet's trademark rhythmic dialogue would be dropped in favour of more traditional delivery, but thankfully my fears were unfounded and Gordon's direction was exquisite.

The punctuations of black comedy were superb and I was almost in tears at

Spoiler:
his repeated complaining about prices and being ripped off, especially when he banged on the window at the peep show to insist on his $10 change

William H. Macy was as great as always (he always seems to just totally 'get' Mamet) and Joe Mantegna, Julia Stiles, Rebecca Pidgeon, Denise Richards and Mena Suvari were all brilliant in support. I didn't realise George Wendt had been in it until the credits scrolled at the end!

Re the DVD, did anyone else notice a silence in the 5.1 track for a few seconds, right at the start, as Macy is about to enter the lift? Stereo track seemed to play fine.

Last edited by Squirrel God; 10-25-06 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-26-06, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
I love David Mamet and for me, this is really up there with House of Games and Glengarry Glen Ross. I absolutely adored it from start to finish. It felt like Mamet's homage to After Hours.

With Stuart Gordon in the director's chair, I was worried that Mamet's trademark rhythmic dialogue would be dropped in favour of more traditional delivery, but thankfully my fears were unfounded and Gordon's direction was exquisite.

The punctuations of black comedy were superb and I was almost in tears at

Spoiler:
his repeated complaining about prices and being ripped off, especially when he banged on the window at the peep show to insist on his $10 change

William H. Macy was as great as always (he always seems to just totally 'get' Mamet) and Joe Mantegna, Julia Stiles, Rebecca Pidgeon, Denise Richards and Mena Suvari were all brilliant in support. I didn't realise George Wendt had been in it until the credits scrolled at the end!

Re the DVD, did anyone else notice a silence in the 5.1 track for a few seconds, right at the start, as Macy is about to enter the lift? Stereo track seemed to play fine.
There's no reason he shouldn't get Mamet... They've been buddies and have worked together since the 70s...

From wikipedia :

It was at Goddard College that he met the playwright David Mamet, who was only a couple of years older than Macy. He moved to Chicago, Illinois, after graduating in 1971 and got a job as a bartender to pay the rent. Within a year he and Mamet, among others, founded the successful St. Nicholas Theater Company, where Macy originated roles in a number of Mamet's plays, such as American Buffalo and The Water Engine.
Old 10-27-06, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Squirrel God
Yep - there was about 5 seconds of silence for me too.

Anyway, I watched this flick last night and for the most part, enjoyed it. Macy was great and I enjoyed all his escapades. Was even more enjoyable when the supporting characters popped up.
Old 10-27-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
There's no reason he shouldn't get Mamet... They've been buddies and have worked together since the 70s...

From wikipedia :

It was at Goddard College that he met the playwright David Mamet, who was only a couple of years older than Macy. He moved to Chicago, Illinois, after graduating in 1971 and got a job as a bartender to pay the rent. Within a year he and Mamet, among others, founded the successful St. Nicholas Theater Company, where Macy originated roles in a number of Mamet's plays, such as American Buffalo and The Water Engine.
Well that explains it then!

Yep - there was about 5 seconds of silence for me too.
Thanks for confirming. It's disappointing that a studio could make such a big screw up, but I guess we should be grateful that at least it's only background noise anyway during those few seconds.
Old 10-28-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MechanicalMan
Weird...Gordon, Macy, Combs, & Wendt all together again.
Old 08-20-09, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Edmond - William H. Macy's new flick

I watched this last night on IFC. Macy was great as always. I enjoyed the cameos as well. I was a bit nervous seeing Denese Richard's name, but thankfully, she only has the one brief scene. I was wondering though
Spoiler:
after he kills the Julia Stiles character, it almost seems like there was supposed to be a shot showed her remains, but they never did, maybe a ratings cut?
Old 08-20-09, 12:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Edmond - William H. Macy's new flick

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
I watched this last night on IFC. Macy was great as always. I enjoyed the cameos as well. I was a bit nervous seeing Denese Richard's name, but thankfully, she only has the one brief scene. I was wondering though
Spoiler:
after he kills the Julia Stiles character, it almost seems like there was supposed to be a shot showed her remains, but they never did, maybe a ratings cut?
i too watched this the other night on IFC. didn't like it at all. the beginning was promising and the Mamet dialogue was as usual crisp and great. after Mantegna left it descended into that seedy sexual under-world that i lost interest in. the story and Macy's quick character transformation didn't do anything for me and became quickly disinterested.