Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

smallville the movie vs superman returns sequel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-06, 08:26 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which do you think would do better at the box office? Which movie would fans rather see hit the movie screen?

tom welling becoming superman, lex as a billionaire, lana, erica durance as lois lane

or brandon routh, kevin spacey, kate bosworth, lois's boyfriend james marsdsen and the kid weigh in bryan singer (X2) directing the sequel

personally i liked but didn't love superman returns,
too much plot taken from the original superman, kevin spacey's lex not that great (michael rosenberg's lex is more interesting), the kid, i don't like the whole idea of the kid and lois's committed relationship with michael madsen

i liked brandon routh as superman, kate bosworth was okay as lois lane, (i actually like erica durance as lois lane more though)

But could Tom Welling carry a movie, would lana lang whine through the whole film? Smallville has a more interesting plot set up, but Tom Welling is no christopher reeves or brandon routh. Interesting to consider, drop superman returns sequel and go with a smallville based superman film

Last edited by sabre; 08-18-06 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-17-06, 08:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This thread is essentially flamebait, especially since a Smallville movie is not happening, while a Superman Returns sequel may very well happen. That being said, I'd pay WB not to make a Smallville movie.
Old 08-17-06, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd like to see a Smallville movie. He does look young so I'd say that it could be the story of him having just become Superman & the first time the public has seen Superman. Have the season of Smallville before the movie end with him finally getting flight powers and getting the suit.
Old 08-17-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Not a fan of Smallville but loved SR. On top of that, Smallville really doesn't have the fan base to re-restart Superman.
Old 08-17-06, 09:19 PM
Suspended

Erica Durance as Lois > Kate Bosworth (by a longshot)
Tom Welling as Clark > Brandon Routh (Sorry, but I still see Tom Welling as Clark now. Too use to seeing him play the role.)
Michael Rosenbaum as Lex > Kevin Spacey (or anyone else for that matter. Nobody comes remotely close to Michael's protrayal of Lex.).
Chloe > Pretty much anyone on Superman returns

I'm more invested in the characters so I'd rather see a movie featuring the characters I already know and have spent a lot of time watching.

If they made a Smallville movie I'd honestly prefer he never do the tights thing and never fool people around him with freakin glasses, a suit, a weird hairdo and acting all clumsy. That's just not Smallville.
Old 08-17-06, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lack of acting talent on Smallville should reserve it for TV only. I've seen the show a few times and can't understand the hype. None of the characters change their facial expressions.

Not to say that I thought Superman Returns was brilliant in contrast.
Old 08-17-06, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think Welling looks more the part than Routh does. Routh reminds me too much of Reeve. During SR, I'd swear he was "channeling" Reeve. It was almost creepy.

I like Smallville and I think a movie-of-the-week type of series ending would be great. It could be released overseas as a feature. A common occurance for some series. Show Clark becoming the wiser and responsible for his actions, dispassionate and yet beneficent adult Superman who has all that "power" contained within him just underneath the surface. And I'm not talking about the portrayal of special effects "super feats" we've all seen.

I haven't seen anyone portray the character this way, but I think Welling could do it. There seems to be a hint of it in episodes where the "Kal-El" persona has surfaced.

I'm thinking it would be kind of the way Alex Ross portrays him, only with "humanity." Ross's Superman is the only portrayal of the character (or anyone) I've seen that would scare the bejesus out of me if I met him in real life.
Old 08-17-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Prefer SR in just about every way. Wouldn't have minded seeing Erica Durance as Lois, and the more serious billionaire Lex (still played by Spacey though).
Old 08-17-06, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smallville, just to get rid of the stupid nerdy, glasses-wearing Clark.
Old 08-17-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are still fans of "Smallville"?

Seriously?
Old 08-17-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 189 Posts
If they did a film now would the characters be radically changed from what we've seen in previous adaptations of the characters? I only saw the first season so I don't know how different Superman would be. To be honest I've never been that into Superman so as long as the characters and relationships aren't a complete departure I'd rather see a new cast try. I'll keep trying until I find a cast & creator that make a Superman that doesn't bore me most of the time.
Old 08-17-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to see Welling as Superman but Durance does nothing for me. Lana is written too annoyingly but I like Krueck (sp?).I'd much rather see Rosenbaum instead of Spacey too.
Old 08-18-06, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would watch, and definitely enjoy either/both. I don't see this fanboy mindset of having to "choose". Star Wars vs. LOTR vs. Matrix vs. Spiderman vs. Pirates bullshit.

Newsflash: You CAN like and enjoy all of them equally.
Old 08-18-06, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would much rather see A Smallville movie. The show might suck some times but the writers kind of have their hands tied on what they can do. All bets would be off if they did a movie and I think they would come through.

I would also love to see a Lex/Clark 'friend turned enemy' dynamic where Lex knows that Superman is Clark but still has enough respect for him not to out his secret identity.
Old 08-18-06, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Puzznic
The show might suck some times but the writers kind of have their hands tied on what they can do.
What are you talking about? They took so much liberty with the Superman backstory. Bringing in Lois, the Daily Planet and moving Metropolis to the mid west just to name a few. Taking out Pete Ross, who was a constant in Clark's life. Now, their bringing in Jimmy Olsen for the new season. I don't mind though, I just tell myself it's set in a different reality than the Superman that everyone is used to.
Old 08-18-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a 0% chance that a smallville movie would do better at the box office than the big budget version of Superman.
Old 08-18-06, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
There's a 0% chance that a smallville movie would do better at the box office than the big budget version of Superman.
Signed, but...

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I'd much rather see Rosenbaum instead of Spacey too.
That is my gripe with the film. You'd think an Oscar winner would knock your socks off. Sad to say, Rosembaum runs circles around Spacey as Lex.

Welling & Durance(while not a great actress) have great chemistry together, where Routh and Bosworth had none. Not to mention Welling and Rosenbaum also work great off each other, while again, Routh & Spacey had no chemistry.

I'll give everyone Kruek, her acting sucks, but there would be no need for her to be in a Superman movie. Leave her ass back in Smallville. I liked SR, but I'd love to see a big screen Smallville or at least a grand 2 hour big budget movie finale to the show introducing the world to Superman.

Makes me wonder if those putting down Smallville have even seen it or seen more than a handful of episodes.
Old 08-18-06, 07:20 AM

If I had the choice before the fact I would have preferred a Smallville movie instead of all new actors. It would still be interesting to see a Smallville movie. We're getting a new Hulk movie, why not another Superman one too.
Old 08-18-06, 07:39 AM

I love "Smallville", but that doesn't mean I need to see it in theaters. I think it is perfect on the small screen, the media it was inteneded.
Old 08-18-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Michael "Mr. Blonde" Madsen was in Superman Returns? I don't remember seeing him anywhere in that movie.
Old 08-18-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Here's the bottom line on this debate:

Smallville: The Movie would be a better film.

Superman Returns Again would make more cash (by far).
Old 08-18-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
After being so dissapointed and underwhelmed by Superman Returns, I'd gladly take a Smallville movie.
Old 08-18-06, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Michael "Mr. Blonde" Madsen was in Superman Returns? I don't remember seeing him anywhere in that movie.
Are you going to bark all day, little Krypto, or are you gonna bite?
Old 08-18-06, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
I love "Smallville", but that doesn't mean I need to see it in theaters. I think it is perfect on the small screen, the media it was inteneded.
i have to agree...i think that taking the show to the big screen isn't necessarily what it is meant to do. plus, i don't know how popular it would be to the general public?
at the same time, i have to also say that i wasn't too impressed with SR...so if they make another one, then they should work on the story more...
Old 08-18-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RocShemp
He's not in it; apparently the OP has a hard time telling him and James Marsden apart.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.