Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman Begins 2 (The Dark Knight) + Ledger confimed

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batman Begins 2 (The Dark Knight) + Ledger confimed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
Still, the Scarecrow is a big villian in Batman lore and Ra's Al Ghul was the main villian in the film I suppose.

I definately count Scarecrow in the "big villain" category, it's Ra's Al Ghul who I consider one of the second tier ones.
Old 08-01-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
However, Hoffman has not confirmed he will do it.
I'm not so sure he would want to be a comic book villain. Plus, he just played an arms dealer in MI3. Hoffman carefully chooses roles. He likes playing different characters. However, The Penguin is definitely a different character. If he does do it, I'd like to see a 100% non-campy Penguin. At least one that actually appears scary/threatening.
Old 08-01-06, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the Penguin plays his role of underworld arms/drug/art/anything illegal dealer, and not a proper foe for Batman I have no problem with that. Ledger as Joker I can see, though I haven't really liked him in any movie I've seen him in. He does have a naturally huge smile, so that's working in his favor.

I can't help but be cautiously optimistic about the movie. Great title though.

I like how the latest batch of super hero movies are more serial in nature than stand alone. With that in mind I think Nolan dropped the ball with not having a Harvey Dent/Bruce Wayne relationship established in the first movie. Harvey's story could have been told over all three (or however many) movies. That would have been cool to see.
Old 08-01-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i would love to see scarecrow again... he was great...

Thank god for Nolan
Old 08-01-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Yeah, I like the idea of having multiple villains in smaller roles or even cameos. It's the only way some of them will ever be realized in this series...which will no doubt give us three with Nolan and company....but after that it's up in the air.
Old 08-01-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lets hope they go with no love interest. I hate how every superhero film needs a girl to love the alter ego, get kidnapped, and saved in the final act.
Old 08-01-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
Love the title but the casting of Ledger doesn't sound official but, from what I get after reading the first post, close to official. It all boils down to if Ledger says yes. Although I don't see why he'd say no. Anyway, I too hope the Penguin is in a Falcone type role. Given Falcone is out of the game, there's a big hole in the underworld that the Penguin is the right guy to fill.

Any word on who will be Harvey Dent?
Old 08-01-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I like how the latest batch of super hero movies are more serial in nature than stand alone. With that in mind I think Nolan dropped the ball with not having a Harvey Dent/Bruce Wayne relationship established in the first movie. Harvey's story could have been told over all three (or however many) movies. That would have been cool to see.
I always felt that if you removed the kiss and "man I loved" dialog from the tail end of the film, Rachel Dawes could have easily been re-written as Harvey Dent. And, although Nolan and Goyer claim the role was written with Katie Holmes in mind, I often wonder if it wasn't originally meant to be Harvey and some studio exec insisted on a love interest for Bruce.
Old 08-01-06, 01:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
For a while, no kidding, the rumor was Jake Gyllenhal.
Old 08-01-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
I remeber that. I just wondered if anything official ever turned up. I've been hoping Liev Schreiber would be cast as Harvey.
Old 08-01-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I have enough faith in Nolan that Hedger is the right person for the role.
Old 08-01-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have faith in Nolan but not blind faith. We musn't forget that, prior to Christian Bale wowing Nolan during his screen test, Nolan's #1 choice for Batman was Jake Gyllenhal. I have nothing against Jake Gyllenhal but he would have been a terribly misscast as Batman.
Old 08-01-06, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Liev Schreiber would be the BEST Dent, no question. I also think Peter Sarsgaard would be a good choice. Just don't bring back Billy D. Williams.
Old 08-01-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the Scracecrow won't be in this one?

If there's going to be a Penguin in this, it needs to be David Suchet. Bob Hoskins would be cool too.
Old 08-01-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two things:

In the comic books, what does penguin play? A mob boss, weapons dealer, etc...?

Also, I once thought that multiple villians were bad, but I can't wait for Spiderman 3, which has three villians, not to mention Peter fighting himself. I think that the smaller roles some villians play should develop through the story and proceed into the next movie, i.e. green/hobgoblin saga.
Old 08-01-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Guy Pearce for Dent I say. He would kick ass. But Liev Schreiber is a good follow up.

As far as Scarecrow, a SWEET cameo would simply be him in the asylum. That would make me happier than hell.
Old 08-01-06, 02:29 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by naitram
If there's going to be a Penguin in this, it needs to be David Suchet.
I know you are being serious, but I just had to at this idea.
Old 08-01-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Virtually anybody with some chops and a good profile can play Dent...so I'm not really sure what the fuss is about there.

I can also see Ledger as the Joker...sort of. At very least, I trust that Nolan saw something in his reading that worked for him...and it will probably work for me too.

Ultimately, I think it will all work out fine...just keep the tone and don't fuck with the tumbler.
Old 08-01-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I could see Gyllenhal as Two-Face, especially after seeing the sequence in Jarhead where he loses his self control. He definitely has the ability to appear a little crazy on film.
Old 08-01-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder if there'll be any tension on the set should Philip Seymour Hoffman get cast as the Penguin. He did beat out Heath Ledger for that Best Actor trophy a few months ago.
Old 08-01-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
the inclusion of the Penguin makes 100% complete sense for this film- assuming they are going to be attempting straight continuity with the first one (which probably more than anything else, I do hope they do).
As someone else mentioned- in this uinverse, Falcone is now out of the picture and a void like that is going to be filled - and that void is probably going to be addressed in the film (maybe people are reluctant to step in, because everytime a new 'boss' is speculated on in the media, the Batman pays them a call and spooks them off- which in Batman language means leaving them tied up by their ankles and dangling off the ledge of a 20 story building). If Nolan is doing the Penguin, I'm looking forward to seeing it- because that means he will be a real character with a real (story) purpose- and thats always fun to watch.

The Joker may or may not be the 'main' character after all- at least in terms of the plot of the film. Its possible that he could be appreheded fairly early in the film and the rest of the movie is Batman labouring to first deduce and then prevent some cataclysmic catastrophe that Joker may have set into motion.

Or its possible they will attempt to follow a Silence Of The Lambs type structure.

Its possible the Joker may be bump off someone close to The Penguin which means he wouldn't only have the police and Batman after him.

Lots of interesting new ways to go with this material, and I can't wait to see where Nolan takes.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 08-01-06 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-01-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From the same source as the original post:

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

I got wind of this rumor (and that’s all it is right now, OK?) not long ago from one of my industry friends. At the time, he himself said I should sit on it as it was nothing more than scuttlebutt and couldn’t be confirmed. So that’s exactly what I did -- I sat on it and didn‘t mention it on BOF. Then today, I got an email from an emailer who has absolutely nothing to do with my insider amigo, but dropped the same bit of info the former had previously.

Both mentioned a name of a soon to be 32 year old actor who may, according to what both these guys heard, be being considered for the part of D.A. Harvey Dent. He’s an actor similar to 27 year old Heath Ledger to a certain degree, although he’s nearly five years his senior. Who is this actor you ask? Ryan Phillippe.
Old 08-01-06, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ravenous
As far as Scarecrow, a SWEET cameo would simply be him in the asylum. That would make me happier than hell.
Except that Gordon said that Crane hadn't been caught. He's still out there. I would love to see a teaser sequence or a brief unrelated cameo to remind the audience that a whole slew of loonies are still on the loose since the events of Batman Begins.

Originally Posted by ToddSm66
Who is this actor you ask? Ryan Phillippe.
Hmm. Can't say if I think that's good or bad.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-01-06 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-01-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm. Can't say if I think that's good or bad.
I can say that it is bad quite easily.
Old 08-01-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by auto
I can say that it is bad quite easily.
I just think it's weird.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.