Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Raiders Of The Lost Ark: The Adaptation

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone see this before? Can't decide if I should go to Alamo to check this out

In 1982, Eric Zala, Jayson Lamb and Chris Strompolis began filming a shot-for-shot remake of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. They were twelve years old. Six years later, the film was in the can. Eighteen years later still, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is proud to announce RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK: THE ADAPTATION with the filmmakers live in person, telling the amazing story of this legendary movie. No other film experience will prepare you for this. The Adaptation is like no other film you have ever seen (except of course RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK). This trio of filmmakers showed more tenacity, originality, heart, courage and skill than ten independent production teams put together, and all before puberty! SEE Indiana Jones grow six inches, drop into a baritone and grow facial hair! SEE Marion Ravenwood develop breasts! SEE the meanest pack of prepubescent nazis ever recorded on film! PLUS! Stick around for a special midnight screening of Spielberg’s version of the movie!

THE HISTORY: RAIDERS: THE ADAPTATION had its World Premiere at the Alamo Drafthouse in 2002, after a copy of the film fell into the hands of Alamo pal director Eli Roth (Cabin Fever). Roth loved its whimsy and ingenuity, and brought it to the attention of Steven Spielberg. A much-read piece in Vanity Fair ensued, and a Hollywood bidding war broke out. The three signed their life rights to producer Scott Rudin for a reported mid-six figures, and a feature film about these boys’ lives is due in 2006.

Though there has never been a cease and desist order, the three filmmakers have agreed that they will not financially benefit from showing the film. Instead, Raiders: The Adaptation plays only at non-profit venues or fundraisers. Piracy is a huge concern, and one of the three travels with the film to all locations. Advance copies are not made available to the press. "Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Lucas have given us a strange and silent endorsement and we’re not going to exploit it," says Strompolos. "We want to stay true to the spirit in which it was created."
Old 07-27-06, 12:58 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I remember reading about this some time ago. It's an interesting story to be sure.

I hope that my shot-by-shot remake of Britney Spears's "Toxic" video goes over as well.
Old 07-27-06, 01:23 PM

If they are not looking to make a profit, then why is piracy a concern?
Old 07-27-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg613
They don't want bootleggers to make a profit.

I'd be willing to see this if it came nearby.
Old 07-27-06, 02:37 PM

Haven't they made fun of this on South Park?
Old 07-27-06, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe this actually caused buzz and they sold the rights to their lives. It doesn't sound all that interesting.
Old 07-28-06, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It'd probably be interesting to watch a couple of clips from it but the whole thing would probably be pretty painful.
Old 07-28-06, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Greg613
You probably should've read the sentence before the piracy comment: "The Adaptation plays only at non-profit venues or fundraisers. Piracy is a huge concern..." They may not be making a profit, but proceeds do go to a good cause, so naturally you'd hope that people paid to see the film.

I've toyed with the idea of checking it out at the Alamo as well, but I don't think it'd be worth the effort. Don't get me wrong, it sounds amazing...and from what I hear these guys went to great effort to parallel the film. I just haven't viewed the original enough to be able to appreciate the adaptation. So, I'm sitting it out.

-JP
Old 07-28-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
. I just haven't viewed the original enough to be able to appreciate the adaptation. So, I'm sitting it out.

-JP
that's my thought also.. they are doing a double bill at alamo of the original and this one, but they are playing this one first and then the real one.. i think i would go if it was the other way around
Old 08-02-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
that's my thought also.. they are doing a double bill at alamo of the original and this one, but they are playing this one first and then the real one.. i think i would go if it was the other way around
I think most everyone else would, too. I guess they're trying to imprison folks in their seats for an extra couple of hours so they are more likely to see the other version first.
Old 08-03-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen this, and yes, this piece of shit is amazing.
Old 08-03-06, 03:10 AM

I saw it at the Northwest FilmForum in Seattle (sold out screening no less).

It's... interesting. A tribute to endurance and love. Best seen with a bunch of people.

Worth a trip to the Alamo.
Old 08-03-06, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
In 1982, Eric Zala, Jayson Lamb and Chris Strompolis began filming a shot-for-shot remake of RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

This trio of filmmakers showed more tenacity, originality, heart, courage and skill than ten independent production teams put together, and all before puberty!

How is making a shot for shot remake of someone else's work original?
Old 08-04-06, 07:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Seen it. Loved it.

It's like peering into another dimension where Raiders is suddenly totally different but unmistakably the same. It's a truely strange experience. Being familiar with the original you know damn well what's going to happen next, but you're on the edge of your seat wondering how these kids will do it. Then you're blown away to discover just how close they've adheared to the original. A kid goes under a moving truck and another kid does get lit on fire. It's low rent, but it's really well done. The Draft House's promotion makes watching them grow up and mature before your eyes some kind of joke. In fact it's endearing and in a way a little too intimate a look at the kids growing up. Making the film took 8 years. Watching the film is like looking through the childhood mementos of a stranger.

Highly recomended

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-11-06 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Raiders Of The Lost Ark: The Adaptation

I just watched this and it was a thoroughly impressive shot for shot, line for line remake. Highly recommend checking it out
Old 06-17-10, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I walked out of it, because after 15 minutes I didn't think there was going to be anything new to it, + it bored the shit out of me.
Old 06-17-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

sarcasm noted