Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Superman Returns a box office dissapointment ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

According to boxofficemojo,
Production Budget: $260 million
Worldwide gross as of 23 July: $256 million

Its hardly breakin even ??
Old 07-24-06, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, it's had a disappointing run. It has not been released in all markets though.

It's getting released here in the Czech Republic on Thursday this week.

With DVD returns, however, they'll more than make back the budget and it will probably get a sequel since the DVD revenue will be pretty high. Or, at least, that's my guess.

Austin Powers didn't do too well in the theaters but when it was a huge hit in the after market they decided they could afford to do a sequel.

*shrug*

-ringding-
Old 07-24-06, 07:18 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supposedly, Warner has announced it will not greenlight a sequel unless SR's domestic gross hits $200 million (which it won't), but that seems a foolish pronouncement to make considering they don't yet know how the title will fare on DVD...
Old 07-24-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not only that, but the international box office numbers haven't been updated since the 16th. IT only opened on the 14th in a number of larger markets, and has opened in other smaller markets since then.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's up another 25 million internationally by now.
Old 07-24-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its international take is now $110 million + $178 million US = $288 million

It's still ahead of Batman Begins by about $7 million at this point, although Batman held a little better during its weekends.

This title will sell a ton of dvds too. I have a hard time believing there won't be a sequel, regardless of what WB has supposedly said. This film has taken years to develop, gone through several changes, etc. I don't think they'd go to all that trouble to make one movie and quit.

Part of the problem was Pirates 2. Superman has definitely suffered the most from the film. I would say Superman would have done better its second weekend had Pirates not earned a whopping $135 million. Any other superhero movies had to face that opening for their second weekend? nope.

I still think it can reach $200 million.

Keep in mind that about $50 million of that budget, Bryan Singer had nothing to do with. That was sadly used to pay salaries to McG, Tim Burton, and whomever else attempted to make the movie.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-24-06 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-24-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Yes, it is a disappointment right now. However, if it makes enough to get a sequel, it will be a success, and after DVD sales I think it will happen. I just hope the sequel has better luck getting to the screen than this one and less obstacles.

Also, I predict that the HD DVD release of this movie will not only sell like gangbusters, but be the title that moves a lot of HD-DVD players as well. Just me!
Old 07-24-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disappointment? Nope. This film will easily top $300,000,000 when international ticket sales are included in the final theatrical (DVDs and rental not included) tally. Domestically, the film could easily hit $200,000,000. At this point it will reach at least $185,000,000 by the end of its fourth week in theaters. That's not an Entertainment Tonight headline, but it's still called success.
Old 07-24-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, definitely a dissapointment.
Old 07-24-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know the first thing about how much money it made, but it was damn sure a "box office disappointment" for me. Blech.
Old 07-24-06, 12:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Fans will try and spin the numbers, but from the studio's point of view, it's absolutely a disappointment (they were expecting a PTC type-reaction).
Old 07-24-06, 12:48 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thing about DVD sales is that they are pretty much a given at this point. They have already been factored into WB's "this movie needs to make this much for us" scenarios. The Austin Powers-type scenarios only work when a midrange movie does so-so at the box office but turns around and makes a killing on video.

The other problem is that the "break even" point isn't about the film's gross passing the budget. For one, studios don't get 100% of the gross... a chunk of that goes to the distributors and the theaters. Plus the budget doesn't factor in the cost of prints, advertising, and other publicity expenses (flying the actors around to talk shows, press junkets, etc.)

And frankly, even if it does end up turning a profit by the time all is said and done, it may not be a big enough profit to justify a sequel for WB. But then again, if another Hulk movie can get a greenlight it's definitely possible. They might have to pare down the budget, though.
Old 07-24-06, 12:48 PM

WB's strategy failed miserably... I guess one major factor why it did not meet the budget was Superman's Costume... Man, its way too OLDSCHOOL at present time.

It may be appealing to Kids.. but for the older one.. why is there a need to stick with a red brief over a blue spandex.
Old 07-24-06, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
No doubt it's a disappointment. Not a bomb, or a disaster, but defintiely did not live up to the box office everyone thought it would.

The problem Warners faces is do they greenlight a sequel when they know that the next movie probably won't break $150 million domestically, even if Singer (or someone else) goes out an makes a PERFECT film? That means Warners isn't going to invest much more than $75 million in a sequel - and that means a much more streamlined special effects budget.

A much better idea would be for Warners to COMBINE their Batman/Superman franchises in a team-up movie with Bale & Routh (which might make as much as $400 million domestically if done right), but no one at Warners seems to have that kind of vision (they don't want to risk destroying TWO potential franchises in one shot).
Old 07-24-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
That's ridiculous. The costume is Superman. Change it and less people would have went.
Old 07-24-06, 12:56 PM

I don't think the costume made one bit of difference to the film's box office.
Old 07-24-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
A much better idea would be for Warners to COMBINE their Batman/Superman franchises in a team-up movie with Bale & Routh (which might make as much as $400 million domestically if done right), but no one at Warners seems to have that kind of vision (they don't want to risk destroying TWO potential franchises in one shot).
I would practically pay them NOT to make this movie.

Of course, I'm one of those poor saps that still wants to see a $100M budget Superman flick with the leads from Smallville...perhaps called "Metropolis".

Then I can just forget this turd ever happened.
Old 07-24-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow!

Routh eclipses Reeve in this spectacular film. I'm amazed there are so many negative comments in this thread. I haven't spoken with anyone who saw Superman Returns and didn't think it was great. Rest assured, this movie will stand the proverbial test of time (and money).

Last edited by Duality; 07-24-06 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chess
I would practically pay them NOT to make this movie.

Of course, I'm one of those poor saps that still wants to see a $100M budget Superman flick with the leads from Smallville...perhaps called "Metropolis".

Then I can just forget this turd ever happened.
Trust me, a SMALLVILLE-themed movie wouldn't have broke $100 million. Ask SERENITY fans (and that movie was damn-near perfect).
Old 07-24-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Yep, a lot of people seemed to have really hated it. Not me though, so far it's the best movie of the summer (easily eclipsing the terribly disappointing Pirates 2 and X3).

Trust me, a SMALLVILLE-themed movie wouldn't have broke $100 million. Ask SERENITY fans (and that movie was damn-near perfect).
Sounds about right, I would dread a Smallville-themed Superman movie. Just have to be in the right mindset I suppose.
Old 07-24-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Duality
Routh eclipses Reeve in this spectacular film.
Okay, now we're just getting silly. Routh doesn't even eclipse Tom Welling.
Old 07-24-06, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Duality
I haven't spoken with anyone who saw Superman Returns and didn't think it was great.
Which suggests to me that your circle of friends are probably not the best people to call on for a representative sampling of the populace as a whole.
Old 07-24-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Never...Going...To...Happen.
Old 07-24-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Groucho,

We're not in SLC - we must have some taste! Seriously, I have quite a varied group of friends and the only complaint was something about the film omitting "the American way" from the description of Superman.
Old 07-24-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
You're certainly correct, but your comparison to Serenity is wrong.

Firefly: 13 episodes
Smallvile: 6 seasons

Also, it's Superman, who everybody knows about. I have friends who love sci-fi, but had never heard of Firefly even after Serenity had come and gone.

Besides, I wouldn't expect it to be driven by the Smallville crowd. They just frame it as the new Superman for the uninitiated and let the spectacular leads carry the film.

Anyway, I'm obviously aware that it's a pipe dream...just making a point.
Old 07-24-06, 01:16 PM

Okay, now we're just getting silly. Routh doesn't even eclipse Tom Welling.
Okay, now you are pushing it. I'll give you that the movie wasn't perfect, but Routh done a great job and bringin the Man of Steel to back to life on the silver screen. Something I don't think Welling could of done.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.