Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Joker Casting News: Heath Ledger being offered the role

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Joker Casting News: Heath Ledger being offered the role

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
I guess it's a win/lose situation. I'm not thrilled it may be Ledger, but I don't think he would ruin the movie. It's better than the rumor of Robin Williams though, that would have caused quite a violent rage.
I'd take a Robin Williams' Riddler over Jim Carey any day of the week though.
Old 07-20-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Joel Schumacher back in charge again?
Old 07-20-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You have got to be kidding. Robin Williams hasn't been funny in well over 20 years. I thought Carrey was the best thing about Batman Forever and that he did a good job as the Riddler.
Old 07-20-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
You have got to be kidding. Robin Williams hasn't been funny in well over 20 years. I thought Carrey was the best thing about Batman Forever and that he did a good job as the Riddler.
The more I watch Forever now, the more I think he was just playing his normal wacky self, instead of being the Riddler.
Old 07-20-06, 04:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
No no no, he's too stoic not animated like a crispin glover would be.
I actually hope the Joker isn't overly animated. Batman Begins set a more dark and serious tone for the series, and I hope the sequel keeps that going, and doing so would require a less animated/over-the-top Joker than what we got from Nicholson.
Old 07-20-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Robin Williams for the Ventrilaquest (spelling?) would be cool...

I like Ledger, tho if Jake is cast as Harvey Dent it'll be a bit distracting....the Brokebat jokes will never stop.
Old 07-20-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yep, I would certainly agree with that. I always thought Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face really got lost in that movie, I wish they had him as a stand alone villian, I really thought he did an excellent job.
Old 07-20-06, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I actually hope the Joker isn't overly animated. Batman Begins set a more dark and serious tone for the series, and I hope the sequel keeps that going, and doing so would require a less animated/over-the-top Joker than what we got from Nicholson.
That's why in my mind Bettany would be the right choice. I can already picture him with a wide grin on his face emerging from the shadows, hair slicked back wearing a black fedora and black suit, giving an evil glare. That'd be one menacing looking mo-fo. Nothing over the top, just a real subdued psychopath
Old 07-20-06, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I'll second it - Latino Review?
Shit. And here i expected to see hot latino men oiled up in speedos...and all I get is Heath? What a letdown.
Old 07-20-06, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Agreed.

I actually like the casting of Heath just because it is so far out of left field. Nobody saw it coming.
Old 07-20-06, 05:24 PM

The Best Person for Joker

Sorry, Heath, Paul, Robin, Crispin and others. The best choice to play Joker is Johnny Depp.
Old 07-20-06, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cornbetts
Sorry, Heath, Paul, Robin, Crispin and others. The best choice to play Joker is Johnny Depp.
Savvy?
Old 07-20-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Paul Bettany as the Joker.

Heath Ledger as the Joker.
Old 07-20-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
This is awful news. Should have been Crispin Glover. I watched Willard the other day and his side profile is identical to the Joker from 'The Killing Joke'. It's amazing. Plus that guy can play crazy and would immerse himself in that role like noone else. Heath Ledger? I havent seen him act yet and the Joker needs a crazy over-the-top personality that I can't see Heath Ledger give him.
Old 07-20-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by james2025a
And i disagree about Oldmans character....i thought it was well done in BB and the whole film was well directed.
We'll have to disagree then. Oldman's character added NOTHING to the movie. Holmes actually worsened it. I've seen them both considerably better elsewhere, especially Oldman (obviously).
Old 07-20-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the new Batman movies are supposed to be about pulling performances out of actors rather than letting the obvious choice in actor just play himself. While Cripsin is a good choice for A joker role, I don't think he's a good choice for THIS joker role.
I agree on Bettany being a good choice but I have a feeling Ledger will surprise us.

I agree on Holmes not working right in the first movie though. All the other characters in the movie had a lot of texture and were complex, except for her.
Old 07-20-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No one here even knows what Joker's arc or persona will be in the film and already Ledger is a bad choice? There's nothing to indicate that this will be Burton's Joker.

I had my doubts about Bale, Murphy, and Neeson in their roles in BB, but Chris Nolan knew what he was doing when he cast these guys. The only truly bad performance in BB was Katie Holmes....maybe Nolan decided to steer clear of Americans this time, go with a strictly foreign cast (save Freeman).
Old 07-20-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Heath Ledger would be a bad choice because he doesn't know what a character arc is. He hits his mark and drawls his lines. I havent seen him in one movie where I didn't think he was awful and none of them are as lofty of a role this is sure to be (it's the Joker. We all know he shouldn't be inanimate and talk like he has 3 testicles no matter what his character arc is).
Old 07-20-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oldman's character was at least more developed than the Gordon from the Burton Batmans, and some of the scenes actually mirrored Miller's "Year One". Ledger for The Joker will hinge upon the story arc of the Joker. If they go DKR, maybe it'll work. Killing Joke, not so sure. Based upon Nicholson, no one can go over the top like that. Ledger, if accepting of the role, will have to make it his own, much like Bale has made Batman his own.
Old 07-20-06, 09:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I give a based on Ledger's past work. But who knows, maybe Nolan is planning something none of us could have expected.

Meanwhile, I still say Justin Theroux could be great as The Joker.

As for Oldman, I can't believe you guys are ragging on him. He gives one of his most restrained performances in years, and I loved it. I always cringe when I see him in The Professional. Now that is overacting.
Old 07-20-06, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think they should consider Andrew Koenig from the short Batman Dead End.

http://www.collorastudios.com/mp17.htm
Old 07-20-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I too, loved Oldman's performance. It was understated, even in the limited time he was on screen. He really played Gordon as world weary, tired and when Batman finally shows up there is ever so slight the glimmer of hope in him.

Anyhoo, no to Ledger. I just don't think he has the acting chops. Glover, too obvious. Bettany...perfect choice.
Old 07-20-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Meanwhile, I still say Justin Theroux could be great as The Joker.
Didn't think about that one. Good call.
Old 07-20-06, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Ledger was amazing in Brokeback, so I can see him doing a good job as The Joker. I do think Bettany would be a better choice though.

I can't see Glover in the role. Joker is supposed to be evil, not just weird.
Old 07-21-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
No no no, he's too stoic not animated like a crispin glover would be.

I think going "less over the top" would work well with the new direction the series has gone. Frankly, I'd rather see a scary psycho Joker than a Goofy psycho one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.