Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Monster House

Old 07-19-06, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monster House

Saw this on a preview screening this past Saturday. Loved it. It is a lot my scary and intense for what i believed to be for a PG Movie. My 6 yr old jumped and he loved every second of it. If you have children who get scared easy definitely consider taking them to see something else.
But for those who want a good animated feature with a good story I give a positive endorsement of this movie.
Old 07-19-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was the preview the Digital 3-D version or the flat version?

MONSTER HOUSE is being shown in Digital 3-D (clear glasses DLP) on roughly 215 screens starting Friday. Of course a flat 35mm version will be in wide release as well, but I can't imagine seeing this one flat!

The 215 3-D screens is quite a jump from the 85 that showed CHICKEN LITTLE in 3-D. With theater chains taking the plunge more and more each month (Cinemark just committed with Real D for 150 additional screens by the end of 2006!) this is only the beginning.

Next up in Digital 3-D: A 'dimensionalized' Tim Burtons' NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS in October.
Old 07-20-06, 09:19 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I am sooo stoked about seeing this tomorrow (and in 3D)...
Old 07-20-06, 09:30 AM

I personally saw the flat 2-d version. I was not aware of it being offered 3-d till after I got home.
Old 07-20-06, 01:28 PM

according to Fandango, it looks like Regal installed another REAL-D system over at Potomac Yards in Virginia for this engagement.
Old 07-21-06, 12:04 AM

How do you find out where it is being played in 3-D?
Old 07-21-06, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where it's playing in 3D
Old 07-21-06, 01:42 PM

Hmmmppph! I saw this at REGAL - Sawgrass 23 - Ft Lauderdale
And they did not show it in 3-d!
Old 07-21-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got back, seen it in 3D, they showed a 3-D ad for nightmare before christmas looks pretty good in 3D. Monster House looked great in 3D but things didnt really pop out or the field of depth wasnt as good as chicken little. Still better then normal 2D though. the intro for the 3D cinema is always impressive though.

the movie was very good, felt like a live action movie and felt like something from the 80's which is a very good thing, felt like monster squad, Goonies and ET alittle. Fun movie and creepy for a kids movie. 8/10
Old 07-21-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CaptStormy
Hmmmppph! I saw this at REGAL - Sawgrass 23 - Ft Lauderdale
And they did not show it in 3-d!
Then it looks like you didn't go to the correct showtimes. They're listed separately like here on Fandango
Old 07-21-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't get to see the movie in 3D, but I enjoyed it all the same. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was fun and was a flashback to the kid movies I grew up on. I am not sure how that will go over with the kids of today, but for me, it was a good time. I am not at all sure why this isn't coming out in the Fall though. Strange timing.
Old 07-21-06, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be checking this out in 3-D over the weekend. Can't wait.
Old 07-21-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
That was great! My 6-year-old and I both loved it, although she was downright terrified at the beginning by Mr. Nebbercracker, the character that Steve Buscemi plays.
Old 07-22-06, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by maingon
Just got back, seen it in 3D, they showed a 3-D ad for nightmare before christmas looks pretty good in 3D. Monster House looked great in 3D but things didnt really pop out or the field of depth wasnt as good as chicken little. Still better then normal 2D though. the intro for the 3D cinema is always impressive though.

the movie was very good, felt like a live action movie and felt like something from the 80's which is a very good thing, felt like monster squad, Goonies and ET alittle. Fun movie and creepy for a kids movie. 8/10
the 3D effects really popped out during the chaotic finale as well as a number of the actual house scenes.
Old 07-22-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw it in 2D, but had a fun time with this film. Both the story and the animation are pretty good, and Chowder had me rolling throughout most of the first half and finished up well, and DJ was a nice straight foil to play off.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
Old 07-22-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it. Didn't love it, but thought it was extremely fun and certainly well made. I think my enjoyment was diminished by the chattiest kid on the planet sitting behind me and his mother who kept insisting "that's the voice of Chris Rock! I can tell, definitely Chris Rock!"...I had to bite my tongue to stop from shouting "Just because the character is black doesn't mean it's CHRIS ROCK! It's Nick Cannon - get over it!" I saw the 2D version but will try to check out the 3D in the next week or so...I'll be sure to go to a late show on that one, to avoid a repeat.

MATT
Old 07-22-06, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
the 3D effects really popped out during the chaotic finale as well as a number of the actual house scenes.
yeah it did, the smoke at the end seemed to come out of the screen too, but still didnt have the depth that Chicken Little had still was fantastic though
Old 07-22-06, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
and Chowder had me rolling throughout most of the first half and finished up well
Same here, I was not expecting that at all. I went in thinking there would be stupid cheesy lame humor mainly focused on pop culture, but he was just straight up hilarious!
Old 07-24-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Myself, I thought the film was far more stereoscopic than CHICKEN LITTLE's Digital 3-D verson was.
Old 07-24-06, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Saw it in 3D and it looked amazing. I wish I could view every film like that. Pretty decent movie too.
Old 07-25-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I guess I'm the only naysayer here. The movie looked great but the plot contrivances and characters were terrible. Not too mention very little/no comic relief. Even my six year old thought it sucked.
Old 07-31-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 390 Posts
Caught the movie with my mom and sister (in 3D) tonight.

Had a blast. Good story, quick pacing, great visuals, and it was just overall hugely entertaining. It did remind me of some of the flicks I grew up on, but was still surprised to see it being more of a horror flick. Overall though, greatly entertaining flick, highly recommend it. See it in 3D if you can.

Oh, and yeah, I also enjoyed the humor in the movie.
Old 08-07-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it over the weekend. Some interesting camera work for an animated movie and great direction. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The CGI was perfect for the type of story they told.
Old 08-23-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got to see this a few days ago ..

side rant: why the hell does the fact that the movie is in 3-d mean that the theater has to 1) charge me $2 more per ticket, on top of 2) charging regular base prices instead of matinee prices for a 3:30 pm showing? Seems like a ripoff to me. Taking my wife and 2 kids should have been $24 but instead was $36 ..

I really enjoy this film. Certainly spookier than I was expecting for a PG film. Great visuals and a nice story that made good use of the medium. Buscemi was awesome!

I was shocked at how mean and nasty all of the grownups were in this movie. It seemed like anyone who wasn't a kid was just a plain butthole.
Old 08-23-06, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by achau9598
I finally got to see this a few days ago ..

side rant: why the hell does the fact that the movie is in 3-d mean that the theater has to 1) charge me $2 more per ticket, on top of 2) charging regular base prices instead of matinee prices for a 3:30 pm showing? Seems like a ripoff to me. Taking my wife and 2 kids should have been $24 but instead was $36 ..

I really enjoy this film. Certainly spookier than I was expecting for a PG film. Great visuals and a nice story that made good use of the medium. Buscemi was awesome!

I was shocked at how mean and nasty all of the grownups were in this movie. It seemed like anyone who wasn't a kid was just a plain butthole.
out of curiostiy which theatre did you see it at? I think the inflated price is ploy to defray the cost of the glasses.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.