Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the worst Deus Ex Machina in film in your opinion?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's the worst Deus Ex Machina in film in your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Jurassic Park ending is pretty damn good compared to what was originally conceived (Grant picks up a rifle and blows away the 2 raptors) I think the ending to War of the Worlds was pretty bad. All of a sudden they just stop killing people and die. It's like Spielberg yelled Cut! and then the aliens stopped acting and let Tom Cruise save the day. Oh, the Matrix Revolutions had to have the worst ending in all of movie land.
Old 07-03-06, 01:35 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Both Signs and The Village suffered from major suckage due to DEM, seems like Shyamalan has been watching too many Twilight Zone episodes. Let's the Lady in the Water isn't as bad but I'm not hopeful.
Old 07-03-06, 02:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Signs technically IS deus ex machina since the implication is that God himself ordained all this stupid shit to happen. I mean, if that isn't the definition of deus ex machina, I don't know what is.
Old 07-03-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
I think the Gandalf character in LOTR is completely a DEM. He can come in at any time and wipe out entire armies and yet only does that at the last minute i.e. LOTR:TTT.

The ending of the Bone Collector was ridiculous as well.
Old 07-03-06, 02:15 PM
Banned by request

Tolkien was always loathe to use Gandalf for that exact reason.
Old 07-03-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xraybies
Both Signs and The Village suffered from major suckage due to DEM, seems like Shyamalan has been watching too many Twilight Zone episodes. Let's the Lady in the Water isn't as bad but I'm not hopeful.
What was the deus ex machina in The Village? There was a twist, but a twist doesn't equal deus ex machina.
Old 07-03-06, 02:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The giant eagle as much of a DEM in Lord of the Rings as Gandalf.
Old 07-03-06, 02:40 PM
Banned

I never read the LOTR books, but weren't both Gandalf and Saruman lesser gods or something? I thought I read that somewhere. That would explain why Gandalf is so powerful and why he didn't die against the Balrog.
Old 07-03-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Signs technically IS deus ex machina since the implication is that God himself ordained all this stupid shit to happen. I mean, if that isn't the definition of deus ex machina, I don't know what is.

Huh? What? I never took it as "God" doing that and I don't think it was ever implied that it was God or any other diety doing it. Just like Forrest Gump, it was "shit" that happened or worked out in the grand scheme of things.
Old 07-03-06, 02:48 PM
Banned by request

Well, the ending of Signs is left vague but the impression I got was that all this "random" shit wasn't really random at all. Frankly, I thought it was laid on rather thick. I was waiting for Jesus to show up and kick some alien ass.
Old 07-03-06, 02:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The impression I got from Signs was that:
Spoiler:
God was speaking to Mel Gibson through his dying wife
Old 07-03-06, 02:53 PM
Banned by request

Yes, I got that, as well. But more than that.
Spoiler:
The girl always leaving cups of water around, and the kid having asthma while the alien used an aerosol poison, it all seemed far too contrived to be simple coincidence. And, of course, it wasn't coincidence, it was all carefully planned by God....sorry, I mean, carefully planned by Shyamalan, who thinks he is God.
Old 07-03-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Bad Seed - original from the 50s.
Spoiler:
Rhoda is a little girl who kills anyone who doesn't give her what she wants. She dies at the end when struck by lightning.

That is an example of DEM.
Old 07-03-06, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Great example! Still, I love that movie.
Old 07-03-06, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
The impression I got from Signs was that:
Spoiler:
God was speaking to Mel Gibson through his dying wife
Yea. The little girl who leaves waterglasses laying around. The little boy who has asthma. The "Swing Away" stuff. And the movie is called SIGNS. The ending is, by no means, DEM.

I wouldn't even say that the solution was WATER. It was like all of those things, put together. The water was just a small part.
Old 07-03-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In Demons,
Spoiler:
where all the characters are trapped in a cinema with a bunch of demons with no way out. A helicopter randomly crashes through the ceiling of the cinema, giving them a way out.

Old 07-03-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
At the end of Jurassic Park, when the T-Rex saves the day.
Actually I think JP3 is a better example.
Spoiler:
Calling the military on the phone and having them sweep in to the rescue out of the blue in a matter of minutes
was a rather lousy and cheap ending to an otherwise enjoyable flic. Why end it that way when the movie only ran 90 minutes or so? There was plenty of time to set up a better and more satisfying ending than that. Pretty lazy writing if you ask me.
Old 07-03-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
House on Haunted Hill (1999) -
Spoiler:
"I'm Adopted!!"
Old 07-03-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
The ending of Dodgeball... in large part to the chest saying "Deus Ex Machina" on it.
I actually found it to be funny.

Yes its still a DEM moment, but the writers were aware of it and poking fun of it.
Old 07-03-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
House on Haunted Hill (1999) -
Spoiler:
"I'm Adopted!!"
Now THAT is a good example! That movie went SOOO downhill in just the last five or ten minutes. Then he said that, and the ghosts are like "oh, I'm sorry, pardon me, sir".

It's still lot of fun. And I still like to watch it. Great sets. Fun, twisted storytelling. Lots of geniunly 'freaky' moments - which really hit my senses. I just really phase-out during those last few minutes.
Old 07-03-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
The Bad Seed - original from the 50s.
Spoiler:
Rhoda is a little girl who kills anyone who doesn't give her what she wants. She dies at the end when struck by lightning.

That is an example of DEM.
Sorry, Charlie.

(I really am sorry, but I couldn't resist using that line. I hope Starkist doesn't sue me.)

It depends. The original 50's version I saw, didn't end that way. In the one I saw, it was the
Spoiler:
mother who dies, killed by her daughter.[/i].

The funny thing is that either ending could be considered a DEM as a DEM plot device isn't restricted to happy or upbeat endings.

And, I'll agree that Signs sucked, but it's not a DEM ending.

Forrest Gump, on the other hand, was filled with DEM plot devices.

Last edited by Jon2; 07-03-06 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-03-06, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
The second Harry Potter film, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, has at least two Deus Ex Machina scenes in it:

- Once when Harry is stuck in the forrest about to be attacked,
Spoiler:
the flying car from earlier just happens to show up in time to save him.

- And the ending, when
Spoiler:
the phoenix(?) flies in at just to right time to give Harry a sword.
Old 07-04-06, 01:53 AM
Banned

I've only seen Signs once, in the theater, but I seem to remember the ending just coming out of nowhere.
Unless we're thinking of other things, the continual emphasis on water (almost annoyingly so) from beginning to end, even the opening shots of the window implied it. Other stuff throughout was implied pretty heavily as well.
I don't understand the people who claim the "Signs" thing came out of nowhere. Now, don't get me wrong, I really liked "Signs". When I was a kid, I wasn't scared of ghosts or monsters under the bed, I'd read books about alien abduction (not your typical childrens-section fluff, I was reading the books written for adults around the time I was 10 or 11) and that's always terrified me. Coming from a kid who slept with his head under the covers to prevent alien abduction (because aliens have mastered intergalactic travel but would shrug their shoulders and give up when they reached the inpenetrable shield that is a quilt my grandmother made) and had nosebleeds and headaches and a bunch of other "abductee symptoms", I thought the movie was really spooky.

I'm not a huge Shyamalan fan (still haven't seen "The Village") but I like him as a writer, but the whole time I watched "Signs" for the first time, I was like "all this water is the setup for some payoff". I don't think I guessed that the water would be the weakness of the aliens but it was certainly set up throughout the whole movie and defintitely not even subtlely.

I agree about "Jurassic Park III". Once again, I like the movie, I don't think there's a huge variance in quality among all three "Jurassic Park" movie, but the ending of "JPIII" is lame. It's somewhat set up but I still think it's definitely deux ex machina, but the worst thing about it is that you think "wow, we're at the 90 minute mark, that leaves us 20-30 minutes of dino vs. military action" but no, it just ends.
Old 07-04-06, 02:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
At the end of Jurassic Park, when the T-Rex saves the day.
Now, it's been a while since I read the book, but doesn't the ending of the book involve poisoning some eggs and the raptors dying after eating them? Or an I completely remembering that wrong?

Anyway, I thought the ending in the film was far better and gave us the slam-bam ending that most people want in a summer blockbuster.
Old 07-04-06, 10:10 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
The thing I liked about JURASSIC PARK's deux ex machina is that it succinctly visualized the theme of the entire film, that a) recreating a past species is an inherently ill-advised undertaking, b) Man and dinosaur were not meant to share the planet and c) Man is unprepared to handle the chaos this genetic engineering hath wrought; therefore, logically, only dinosaurs can effectively handle the threat of dinosaurs. The entire species of Man and our gross collective hubris is brought low in that final scene.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.