DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Hey! That's my _______ in the movie! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/470082-hey-thats-my-_______-movie.html)

The Bus 06-27-06 12:06 PM

Hey! That's my _______ in the movie!

Have you ever seen a movie and noticed something you own in it? I was watching some movie recently and I noticed my Ikea lamp was in the background (one of the cheap ones that's like $7). The set was supposed to be some sort of fancy-schmancy place so that really made me :lol:.

Also, in Charlie's Angels 2, Bernie Mac has the same remote control I do.

Have you noticed something like this?

Nesbit 06-27-06 12:15 PM

The quilt on Wendy's bed on the Peter Pan ride at Disney World. I'm such a rube I must have ridden that thing 4 or 5 times to point it out to people.

taa455 06-27-06 12:17 PM

In one Seinfeld episode George wears a shirt exactly like one I have.

echo725 06-27-06 12:17 PM

I tell my wife everytime Terminator is on that I had the exact same sneakers Reese steals and wears throughout the movie.

raven56706 06-27-06 12:17 PM

for some reason, in all the movies i have seen... all the guys are wearing my socks

Fielding Mellish 06-27-06 12:31 PM

I remember seeing Tony Soprano use my universal remote (back-asswards, BTW).

In the same episode, the Feds swept his basement using my Radio Shack SPL meter.

Michael Corvin 06-27-06 12:53 PM

I've seen my clock in numerous films and tv shows:

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/5...arburst6xp.jpg

das Monkey 06-27-06 12:56 PM

That's my shoulder in <i>Remember the Titans</i>. Oh, and my answering machine is used in countless films (and doesn't sound at all like the audio used).

das

TheStoicPaisano 06-27-06 05:35 PM

I used to have the Panasonic phone from the scene in Zoolander where Mugatu and Derek first meet in Mugatu's building.

Mondo Kane 06-27-06 05:40 PM

I used to have one of the toy robots seen in Carol Anne's posessed room in Poltergeist.

josuff247 06-27-06 05:40 PM

I have will smiths "Old school" CD player from I Robot.

TomOpus 06-27-06 06:18 PM

One of the guys in Jeepers Creepers 2 was wearing the exact same style t-shirt that I had (and I had mine way before the movie came out). If I had the movie, I do a screen cap. It's a gray t-shirt with a thin black/white raised line going across the chest.

Alan Smithee 06-27-06 06:36 PM

In High Fidelity John Cusak has the same Panasonic 8-track deck I have. In the movie they have the Record button taped down so the machine stays lit up.

My parents had the same kind of toaster that was in the contraption in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, when the movie came out.

I got a Halloween mask at Toys-R-Us at the last minute that looks very similar to the one the killer wears in the "Scream" movies, but I bought it about 3 years before the first movie came out.

visitor Q 06-27-06 07:10 PM

You're all so cool .. I only get a shot of my Paradigm 7's (speakers) in some crappy phone commercial :(

Peep 06-27-06 07:30 PM

I see my cell phone (Moto RAZR) all the time. :)

Filmmaker 06-27-06 09:09 PM

I own the exact same bed that Ray and Debra sleep in on "Everybody Loves Raymond".

In a more humorous vein, everytime I see Naomi Watts, I always say, "Hey! That's my sex slave in the movie!"

Lone Wolf 06-27-06 09:22 PM

I've seen the answering machine we used to have in a lot of movies.

PopcornTreeCt 06-27-06 10:20 PM

I saw my Ryan Adams CD in Elizabethtown. And my old doorbell ring is used in a lot of TV/Movies.

Rockmjd23 06-27-06 10:21 PM

Yes when I saw the end of Boogie Nights, I said "Hey! That's my penis!"

MrStayPuft 06-27-06 10:28 PM

I have the EXACT MrStayPuft Rotocast figure that Andy has in 40 Year Old Virgin (and I'm proud to own it!)

tanman 06-27-06 11:51 PM

Seen my old cordless phone a couple times. But one funny thing was in a video game where you could customize your tennis player they had my exact same shirt that I wore somewhat frequently. Thought it was funny.

CKMorpheus 06-28-06 12:38 AM

In Road Trip, the main character has the same exact phone I used to have in high school, with a completely different ringer though.

Giantrobo 06-28-06 12:40 AM

Soapdish: There's an ugly shirt that the English Director wears that I owned at one point in my life.

Link_182 06-28-06 10:12 AM

Not a movie but one of the terrorists on 24 had my cell phone last year. Now I got a new one and Tony Soprano has my cell phone. What does that say about me?

Tracer Bullet 06-28-06 10:13 AM

I saw my salt and pepper shakers in an episode of Gilmore Girls.

mmconhea 06-28-06 10:21 AM

In Napolean Dynamite I noticed actors wearing the exact same shirt I have. Says "Vote for Pedro"

mllefoo 06-28-06 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by taa455
In one Seinfeld episode George wears a shirt exactly like one I have.

Adam Savage of Mythbusters shops at Target and buys the same shirts I do. I have the "I do all my own stunts" shirt.

costanza187 06-28-06 10:37 AM

Other than the obvious "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt... I have a lamp like Buffy the Vampire Slayer does.

BravesMG 06-28-06 11:29 AM

I guess there's only one kind of wireless headset, it's necessary for what I do, but anytime I see anyone on a wireless phone headset, it's always the same one I use. It's most prominently displayed in Two for the Money on all the bookies.

The Infidel 06-28-06 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Super J
I've seen the answering machine we used to have in a lot of movies.

That's the one I was thinking of. I don't own it anymore, but for a long time we used the exact same answering machine that eventually showed up in Uncle Buck, when he makes the joke about "Felix". I remember saying "Hey! That's our machine!" :lol:

ShallowHal 06-28-06 12:24 PM

My VTech cordess phone has been on so many shows I lost count. I first saw it on 24, everyone had one. Until this past season (when VTech gave them a new model) it was on Two and a Half Men. It's been in so many movies I'm sure they had a warehouse full of them shipping them to every studio and producer's house.

The Bus 06-28-06 12:36 PM

NBT: rotfl

SPiRAL 06-28-06 02:50 PM

Suburbia ( 80's ) , Hey that's my parent's neighborhood and house. The scene where they go " shopping " for food and beer in people's garages.

devinjc 06-28-06 03:45 PM

I had the couch from Raising Arizona in my dorm room in college. The one from the trailer.

Snowmaker 06-28-06 03:53 PM

My wife and I were watching Firefly the other day and she noticed a vase that Inara had on a table was the exact same as one she got from Pier 1.

Back when Hellraiser III came out, I noticed one of the guys in the crowd of people running in the streets from the Cenobites had the exact same god-awful, long-sleeve, button-down shirt I had.

In Poison's Every Rose Has Its Thorn video, Bret Micheals had the same Harly Davison T-shirt that I had with an eagle fighting a Japanese dragon.

story 06-28-06 04:05 PM

The mini-Godzillas in the sports stadium are dipping their snouts in the same popcorn tubs the movie theater I worked at in high school had. We used it as a promo, somehow, as I recall. Probably my stupid idea.

chowderhead 06-29-06 02:46 AM

I own the alarm clock in Marty's room from Back to the Future - the brown 80s style one from Panasonic with the large numbers. I probably still have it somewhere.

NatrlBornThrllr 06-29-06 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
The Vote for Pedro shirts don't count, they are movie merchandise that was bought after the movie reached a certain level of popularity. My question was regarding things you owned before you saw this movie --- that is, coincidences that were due to happenstance as opposed to buying a shirt from a movie at the mall.

:(

The way you totally missed the clever humor in claiming to have owned a shirt that read "Vote for Pedro" prior to the release of Napoleon Dynamite makes me wonder whether I read too much into your post here. I assumed it was tongue in cheek wit, and I laughed like a schoolboy on the playground during recess. Please, tell me I was right and the humor was intentional. Hell, tell me you got the "Vote for Pedro" quip and replied with an even more subtle, tongue in cheek response. Just, anything to salvage the very little bit of joy that's left in my life.

-JP

The Bus 06-29-06 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
:(

The way you totally missed the clever humor in claiming to have owned a shirt that read "Vote for Pedro" prior to the release of Napoleon Dynamite makes me wonder whether I read too much into your post here. I assumed it was tongue in cheek wit, and I laughed like a schoolboy on the playground during recess. Please, tell me I was right and the humor was intentional. Hell, tell me you got the "Vote for Pedro" quip and replied with an even more subtle, tongue in cheek response. Just, anything to salvage the very little bit of joy that's left in my life.

-JP

Fixed. :)

cupcake jesus 06-30-06 12:43 PM

I have the same GE portable phone that is in Lindsay Lohan's kitchen in Mean Girls. That extremely uncomfortable handset is identifiable from a mile away.

cheers,

-the Jesus