Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies have scenes of financial traders or commodity traders working?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 06:31 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

obviously "rogue trader" is one. i just watched "25th hour" and there was a scene in it. anything else?
Old 06-21-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wall Street
Ferris Bulluer's(sp) Day Off
Trading Places
Boiler Room
Old 06-21-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
It's only on Region 2, but one of the tales in Subway Stories: Tales from the Underground deals with this.

Try looking for the video.
Old 06-21-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Speaking of which.. can someone explain the end of Trading Places for me.

Murphy & Ackroyd sell shares at a moderate price and later buy them back when it's at the lowest price? How did they make money?

Last edited by devilshalo; 06-21-06 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo

Murphy & Ackroyd sell shares at a moderate price and later buy them back when it's at the lowest price? How did they make money?
You sell what you got, make $, then pout a small portion of the $ back into rebuying the same stock. So, you end up with cash PLUS the same shares you started with. This assumes, of course, that the stock will be worth something in the future, otherwise you should have kept the money and ran

btw, somebody beat me to it, I was gonna say Wall Street and [b]boiler room]/b] as well.
Old 06-21-06, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Dukes think that FCOJ is going to be in short supply because of the fake Dept. of Agriculture report. So they start off trying to buy the future contracts of FCOJ, driving up the price, which is OK because they think prices will be even higher in the future. Ackroyd and Murphy wait until the price goes up, then start selling the future contracts at the high price, meaning someone will have to pay them the high price in the future. When the real news about the FCOJ breaks (there will be plenty available), everyone committed to buy FCOJ at the high price realizes they're screwed, and everyone tries to sell, driving the price down. Now Ackroyd and Murphy buy the contracts at the low price, and pocket the difference between the sell contracts at a high price and the buy contracts at a low price.

Short version: They sold high first, then bought low later, and made a killing.
Old 06-21-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I kinda figured out that they sold high then bought low, but I'm trying to think of how did they keep track of everything?

How many shares did they sell in order to buy back the same shares at a lower price? I'm assuming that in the end after all is said and done, they were paid for buying shares of FCOJ?

In terms I can try to understand; I sell you a lamp for $8, but I buy it back for $2. So now, I have the lamp and a profit of $6.
Old 06-21-06, 03:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can't remember, does Other People's Money have scenes of traders actually working?

Wall Street was the first one that came to mind for me, but Rogue Trader is an awesome film.
Old 06-21-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where The Heart Is (1990)
Old 06-22-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo

BTW, what Louis and Billy Ray did at the end of Trading Places couldn't actually happen. Then again, it's a movie featuring a gay gorilla in love with a dude in a monkey suit, so I guess suspension of disbelief is key to enjoying it.
Old 06-22-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
BTW, what Louis and Billy Ray did at the end of Trading Places couldn't actually happen. Then again, it's a movie featuring a gay gorilla in love with a dude in a monkey suit, so I guess suspension of disbelief is key to enjoying it.

Ahhhh.....Trading Places. They don't make them like that anymore.

Can we start a new thread discussing the sheer greatness of TRADING PLACES?
Old 06-22-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Doughboy
The throwaway gag when the bell rang and all the traders got out of the toilet stalls at the exact same time took me out of my suspension of disbelief.
Old 06-22-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Quicksilver