Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars '77 or The Empire Strikes Back, which is your favorite?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars '77 or The Empire Strikes Back, which is your favorite?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts
Empire Strikes Back. It's always been my favorite movie in the trilogy.

Billy Dee Williams.
Old 06-20-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I can't the first to think that this should've been a poll. One with (preferrably) these options:

Which is your favorite of just these two?
- Star Wars (1977 version)
- The Empire Strikes Back (1980 version)
- I Like Them Both Equally
Old 06-20-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As a devout fan of the first two films, Return of the Jedi is a complete step backwards after the progression of The Empire Strikes Back.

I honestly believe after the scene at Jabba's palace, the film goes on a downward sprial. While the Jabba's palace sequence is great and wraps up a bit of the darker moments from ESB such as Han being rescued and Boba Fett meeting his demise, after that segment, the film goes directly to shit. The only scenes I like after that first fifteen minutes are the scenes with Luke, Darth, and the Emperor in the all out final battle of good versus evil.

Everything else in ROTJ is just complete dog shit.
You're being far too kind. Even the Jabba Palace sequence is complete dog shit. From Luke's idiotic rescue plan to the horrid music scenes to the total wasting of Boba Fett for a lame burp joke, the whole Jabba section sucks.
Old 06-20-06, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Empire Strikes Back is a better made film but I enjoy A New Hope much, much more. Ep IV has Obi Wan Kenobi and Grand Moff Tarkin (by far my favorite Star Wars character), and has more "goosebumps" moments (like the original poster said) while I really hate Yoda, Lando Calrissian, find the Imperial March annoying, and hate the ending in Ep. V. I'm also not nearly as big a fan of Han Solo like most other Star Wars fans and dislike the fact that ESB concentrates so much on him.
Old 06-20-06, 05:29 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Empire Strikes Back of course. It's the #1 best sequel of all time.This type of sequel is a true rarity, many others have been called superior than their originals but really are not, T2 isn't better than T1. Aliens is equal to Alien. TESB improves upon its predecessor in every possible way imaginable, another one that is superior to the original that i can think of is Mad Max 2.

I think Jedi has been settled in the Jedi is great thread already folks, no need for escalating it in the recent outburst of Star Wars threads after that topic.

Last edited by FRwL; 09-16-08 at 03:08 AM.
Old 06-20-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Empire Strikes Back, because everything iconic about Star Wars is contained within that film ... The Imperial March, the famous lines: "I am your father", and "I love you" ... "I know". Plus it doesn't cantain any ridiculous singing, dancing, or instrument playing aliens (I cringe everytime the Cantina Band sequence in Episode IV or the Jedi Rocks sequence in Episode VI come on screen - I reach immediately for the remote and skip the chapter)
Old 06-20-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
When I first saw THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK in 1980, I kinda felt unsatisfied with all the loose ends, whereas with A NEW HOPE in 1977, I was on cloud nine, elated, satisfied, complete.
Old 06-20-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing bad to say about Empire, but Star Wars was just such a perfect bolt out of the blue---a whole new universe in a self-contained story. I don't think any other movie experience could possibly compare to seeing that in the theater at age 9, for me at least.
Old 06-22-06, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dhmac
You're being far too kind. Even the Jabba Palace sequence is complete dog shit. From Luke's idiotic rescue plan to the horrid music scenes to the total wasting of Boba Fett for a lame burp joke, the whole Jabba section sucks.
I am going by the original theatrical cut which I haven't seen in over a decade, but I remember it had less music (but can't recall the Fett burp). The Special Edition of ROTJ doesn't exist and never happened in my mind.

Actually, the SE of ESB is the only one that I can tolerate.
Old 06-22-06, 11:31 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ESB for me, holds all the stories together
Old 06-22-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts
Star Wars:

Opening shot of the cruiser overhead
Plus all the "firsts"
Lightsabers
Darth Vader
Obi-Wan is alive
Han is coolest in SW
The DeathStar battle

Love ESB, but come on...I saw SW the first week it was out...
Old 06-22-06, 04:12 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
RETURN OF THE JEDI

Yeah, that's right, RETURN OF THE goddamn JEDI.
Old 06-22-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
RETURN OF THE JEDI

Yeah, that's right, RETURN OF THE goddamn JEDI.
Return of the Jedi, all cuddly ewoks and flappy-skinned masks and alien rock band sequence?
Old 06-22-06, 04:35 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally Posted by hardercore
Return of the Jedi, all cuddly ewoks and flappy-skinned masks and alien rock band sequence?
Nub-nub, yer goddamn right!
Old 06-22-06, 05:47 PM
En vacance

I believe the 1983 original had no such atrocious rock band sequence, nor any CG sarlaac creature, nor any goofy grinning Haydumb Cantactforshitensen.
Old 06-22-06, 06:09 PM

I have always preferred A New Hope to ESB.

However, I just have this feeling that as I get older I'm going to like ESB more. Odd feeling to have, really... I don't like it more yet.