Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite blockbuster-driven decade

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Blockbuster-driven decade
1980s
77.78%
2000s
22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 12:26 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1980s or 2000s? These two decades are the most effects-minded, 70s and 90s were both more character-driven dramatic type decades of the post-cultural revoultion era while 80s and 2000s had a primary reliance on blockbusters: actioners, scifi, fantasy, horror. There is only 3.5 years left in this decade so we already have a good idea of the overall tone of it and can pretty much predict what's to come after 7.5 years.

I pick 80s because a lot of those imaginative young directors from the 70s didn't just dissapear on the onset of the decade but continued along with the tone of the time to work their magic, Indiana Jones trilogy, 2/3 of Star Wars OT, 2/3 of Mad Max trilogy, Blade Runner, Back to the Future, The Terminator, Aliens, Das Boot, Conan 1+2, Superman 2-4, Princess Bride, Legend. Arnie, Ford, Ridley Scott, Cameron, Spielberg, Scorsese at the top of their games.
Old 06-12-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
At the moment, I have more fondness for the 80's. I think that has more to do with my familiarity to the films and characters.

On the other hand, there has been some pretty awesome blockbusters come out this decade. Not to mention, we are only 6 years into it, with plenty more films to come out. Then, in another 15-20 years, after I have had a chance to forget about the crappy movies coming out this decade, and have focused on the "classics", these 10 years could be awesome.

It's a really difficult question to ask, given that we aren't even through this decade, and I was a kid during the 80's. I didn't really get to see all of the movies, both good and bad, during that time period.

Overall, I'm giving it to this decade.
Old 06-12-06, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say the 2000s... but it's not in a good way. We're all about blockbusterrs, so much so that unless a movie is a sequel of a hit, or a best selling book, no one will produce it. Thus the decline in sales each year, people are getting bored of the "blockbusters."

In the 1980s, the same mentality was there yes, except the blockbusters were actually good.
Old 06-12-06, 09:29 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
A shout-out to the 70s needs to be called out. IMO, 2 words identify it as arguably the decade that solidified the modern blockbuster: Irwin Allen