Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Enjoy a good Western? Go see The Proposition.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on The Proposition yet. It's not like we get an overabundance of kick ass Westerns these days. I caught it over the weekend and would have to say it's the second best movie I've seen this year, after United 93.

The movie starts out with the capture of two outlaw brothers. The local sheriff (Ray Winstone) makes a proposition to the older of them (Guy Pearce) and then sets him free. If he finds and kills his much more savage and notorious older brother, he and his youngest brother will be granted pardons. If he fails, the youngest will be hung in a little over a week.

The performances, cinematography and writing are all top notch throughout the whole of the movie. Ray Winstone gives a performance that made me want to go rent more movies with him in them and the rest of the cast steps up to the plate as well.

While most of the violence is very brief, it's also very gruesome, with several glimpses of things that would give most recent horror movies a run for their money. Also, the movie's about as dirty as any I've ever seen, as most of the people are filthy to the point that you can almost smell the stink coming off them.

The only thing that bothered me at all was the score, which was done by Nick Cave, who also wrote the script. He uses distorted guitars and some slightly annoying whispering throughout the score, which IMHO didn't always fit with the tone of the film. If that hadn't drawn me out of the movie at times, I would've given it 4/4 stars. As it stands, I'd give it 3.5/4. If you like gritty, well-written, well-acted Westerns, you should make an effort to see this.

Trailer for The Proposition
Old 06-07-06, 09:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I've been hearing great things about this -- have been meaning to check it out.
Old 06-07-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I got the Aussie dvd of this great film a while back, but sort of regret it because it needs to be seen projected from flim onto a big screen.

A good mix of Pecinpah & Leone with it's own brand of originality - but it is a slow-burn of a movie with a measured, methodical pace.
Old 06-07-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those guys sure were dirty. the flies buzzing and just being all over just made my skin crawl.
Old 06-07-06, 11:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
those guys sure were dirty. the flies buzzing and just being all over just made my skin crawl.
yeah, it was quite gnarly... one of my friends was falling asleep during the movie at numerous points, my other friend couldn't stand the film, I on the other hand was quite floored by it... recommended in my book
Old 06-07-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the reminder - planned on seeing this when the reviews came out, then forgot about it. Fortunately, it's still playing theatrically here in NYC/
Old 06-07-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, a vicious and exciting film in the vain of Aguirre: Wrath of God (which just popped in my head as a comparison as I wrote this post).

Danny Huston is one of my favorite actors; great to see him in it.
Old 06-07-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish the film would have focused more on the brothers and not so much on the law enforcement guy and his wife. It was great. saw it at the Philly film fest and picked up the australian dvd and will more than likely catch it again this weekend down here too.
Old 07-11-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just caught this at a small indie theater by surprise. Great flick, very gritty and dirty.

= J
Old 07-12-06, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The new Video Business mag arrived today and it's on the cover.

It will be out on DVD 9/19 for $26.99 list.

Extras listed:

Director & writer commentary
5 behind the scenes featurettes
5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound
Previews
Spanish Subtitles
Close Captioned

I'll definitely check it out.
Old 07-12-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
The new Video Business mag arrived today and it's on the cover.

It will be out on DVD 9/19 for $26.99 list.

Extras listed:

Director & writer commentary
5 behind the scenes featurettes
5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound
Previews
Spanish Subtitles
Close Captioned

I'll definitely check it out.
You had me at "writer commentary". Tear.
Old 07-12-06, 02:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've wanted to see this since I heard Nick Cave was writing it. Unfortunately, it's not playing anywhere near me. This may be one movie I pick up on DVD, unless they're talking about an HD-DVD of it. Who owns First Look Pictures?
Old 09-22-06, 07:42 PM

I've tried looking for this DVD as described in the review but it don't seem to exist. Amazon and all other retailers list it as 1.85:1, whereas the reviewer has it at 2.35:1. Canadian copies, as usual, have a different cover, and are listed on the box only as "letterbox/1.85", not as anamorphic/2.35. Amazon US doesn't have a cover illustration, and the Oz version is $40, which is ridiculous. Can anyone tell me whether US disc is 2.35/anamorphic, or whether Cannucklehead disc is anamorphic at all???
Old 09-22-06, 08:51 PM

I love westerns, and I was a huge Nick Cave fan when I was younger, so I was really looking forward to this. I have to say that I was a little disappointed. It is worth seeing, but it's not great. It probably could have used more character development.
Old 09-22-06, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by theonemacduff
I've tried looking for this DVD as described in the review but it don't seem to exist. Amazon and all other retailers list it as 1.85:1, whereas the reviewer has it at 2.35:1. Canadian copies, as usual, have a different cover, and are listed on the box only as "letterbox/1.85", not as anamorphic/2.35. Amazon US doesn't have a cover illustration, and the Oz version is $40, which is ridiculous. Can anyone tell me whether US disc is 2.35/anamorphic, or whether Cannucklehead disc is anamorphic at all???
I picked up the US disc yesterday, and it is labeled incorrectly - both on the slipcover and on the case - as "Anamorphic 1.85:1 Widescreen," but the disc itself is anamorphic 2.35:1.
Old 09-23-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have it from Netflix and hope to watch Saturday night.
Old 09-23-06, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by theonemacduff

It's 2.35:1 anamorphic, I just watched it. It says 1.85:1 on the box but it is 2.35:1.
Old 09-23-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
I got this through Netflix the other day...

I have to say I was somehwat disappointed. I was hoping for more character development. I don't know what they did or why from the first frame to the last. I guess that was intentional (at least the 'what they did' portion) but I couldn't invest myself in either side (the sheriff's or the bad guys'). Perhaps I was just expecting too much.

On the plus side the atmosphere the film portrayed was great. I felt like I needed a shower after watching it.
Old 09-24-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i am interested to see this. will need to pick up the dvd at the next ddd sale.
Old 09-24-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone recommend this as a good blind buy? Is it a fantastic film that might lose its steam after the first viewing?
Old 09-24-06, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
Anyone recommend this as a good blind buy?
Only if you love westerns enough that you enjoy "lesser" westerns. I think it has some replay value (I will definitely watch it again). But IMO, it's just not too great. It's ok. The IMDB rating of 7.6 is about what I would expect, for whatever that is worth (I assume that rating will eventually drop a little). I would say that I probably like The Proposition a little less than Open Range and a little more than Tombstone.
Old 09-24-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought it was excellent. There was a short dip in pacing in the middle that had me worried, but then it all came good again as the film built to a wonderful crescendo. I liked the whole idea of the proposition at the start and the gentle poetic build that it conjures. Great characters too, although I would've liked Guy Pearce (and Danny Huston) to not have gone with Irish accents. Though they didn't sound bad to my non-Irish ears, I couldn't see the point?

Old 09-25-06, 05:20 AM

I watched this film last night, and it was definitely good, but not amazing. I'd give it 7-8 stars. The main disappointment for me was that they never gave an indication of what made the older brother so depraved & inhuman. I'm not saying I wanted to be told exactly what he'd done, but they could have at least made his character more bizarre, like a Colonel Kurtz, to make the whole story more believable.
Old 09-25-06, 05:35 AM

Like a few of you, I too was pretty dissapointed with this movie. There was almost no sense of coolness to any of the characters, which is something that I really like in my westerns. I'd be willing to overlook that, if the rest of the movie had anything interesting to offer. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, It was just 2 hours of time.
Old 09-26-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was great. I picked it up on DVD yesterday and have to admit, it looks a hell of a lot better on DVD than it did in the theater. So much more cleaned up (the picture quality...the movie itself is still dirty as hell

= J

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.