Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil: Extinction

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Resident Evil: Extinction

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-06, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
The first one was decent...but the second one is one of the worst movies I've ever seen (not an exaggeration).

Can't say that I'm looking forward to this.
Than you are not watching enough crappy movies, friend.

Ultraviolet was absolutely awful. The second Resident Evil wasn't as good as the first, but it was a great 2 am flick. I will definately be in for the next.
Old 07-30-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It atleast had Jill. I'll give it that much. Just having the game references made it more enjoyable than the first one.
Old 07-30-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first one was good the 2nd was ok.

Zombies + hot ladies + fan service = I'm in.
Old 07-30-06, 12:09 PM
Banned

How does this third movie get made after the godawful second one? And where does Paul WS Anderson keep digging up these has-been directors who never had talent to begin with?
Old 07-30-06, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The budget for the second film was 45 million. It grossed $129 million worldwide.. yeah, I can see why they go back to that well.
Old 08-14-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 188 Posts
Exclusive Interview: MILLA JOVOVICH KICKS ZOMBIE ASS AND TAKES NAMES IN RESIDENT EVIL EXTINCTION

Alice is back for more living dead and big guns in the third installment of this video game to movie franchise

It’s hot and humid in Mexico City, the biggest city in the world with over 15,000,000 people and most of them, sadly, living in complete poverty. In the Northern part of the city the third installment of the famous game franchise: RESIDENT EVIL is being shot. This time director Russell Mulcahy was hired to be the man behind the kick ass stunts, which almost 100 percent are done by Milla Jovovich. Mulcahy directed HIGHLANDER and RAZORBACK as well as a bunch of music videos for AC/DC, Queen and Duran Duran. After a few hours observing the climax of the film iF Magazine interviewed Jovovich. She is dirty, sweaty, maybe even covered with a thin crust of blood, but she still shines in a sexy and dangerous way. I love Femmes Fatales!

iF Magazine: So, what is worse, shooting RESIDENT EVIL 2 in below zero temperatures in Toronto or this one in triple digit temperatures in Mexico?

MILLA JOVOVICH: In both cases it’s totally insane. We just finished shooting lots of scenes in the desert of Mexico in the area of Mexicali in Baja and the temperatures were unreal, at least around 120 degrees! The heat is worse than the cold because when it’s hot, unless you have air conditioning, you can’t remove much from your body but you know, when it’s cold at least you can add several layers of clothes to warm up. In any case it was a rough shoot but it’s really cool, it gives you a very MAD MAX feeling…

iF: How is it to be back as “Alice”, were you happy to be that character again?

JOVOVICH: I was so happy to be back as “Alice”. It comes with a mix of fun, challenge, and pressure to do better than in the previous films. This time around I think Alice is more mature, she has experienced so many things that she has indeed changed. She has learned to take not all of this so seriously, she kind of gave up fixing the problem and focuses more on just surviving. She is also lonelier in this movie, because she has run away. But the Umbrella Corporation is going to hunt her and find her. In the process she will meet a convoy of humans also trying to escape the fate of the rest of the planet. There is much more vulnerability shown about her. But at the end I guarantee you she will kick some asses!

iF: How was it to get back “physically” into the role?

JOVOVICH: Well, it’s funny because you would think that by now, after playing in two RESIDENT EVIL movies and having also done ULTRAVIOLET that it would be easier for me to get back into it and be able to do great stunts. But in fact it’s not! It’s so tiring and so challenging and exhausting! Maybe I’m getting old, but I don’t have the same level of energy and flexibility, so for sure this is a hell of a challenge to play her in a physical way. Also, I notice lately that I'm getting scared to do some of these stunts. There’s a scene where I had to jump off the Eiffel tower in a Las Vegas made “city of the future” and I just couldn’t do it! At least I know how to use the weapons now and I’m quite experienced with all kinds of weird shooting devices. But I really hate the training part between the push-ups, the stairs-masters…

iF: Does gaining self-confidence and fighting skills ever gave you a “Supergirl” complex where you just want to kick the asses of some people in real life?

JOVOVICH: You’re funny! No, not at all…thank God! But I have to admit that physical training stimulates you emotionally and intellectually, it helps you stay in a good mood. You get an endorphin rush and it helps you stay positive with things even if it’s a dark day. I think with me it’s the opposite, I would probably kill people if I wasn’t doing anything and not training to get rid of my excessive energy. When you don’t train for months you do get in some strange moods sometimes. So I need to keep up my training and stay in good shape…

iF: How is it to work with Russell Mulcahy? Can you compare him to the other directors you have worked with on the 2 other RESIDENT EVIL films?

JOVOVICH: Well, Russell is very different from the other directors I worked with. I love his energy so much, he is like a ball of energy on the set and he is so on top of everything, he is so detail oriented. He really knows what he wants, so he is totally hands-on with every aspect of shooting this film. Also, he has such a stylish visual sense; you’ll see some amazing shots in RESIDENT EVIL 3. There are some great epic wide shots that you have not seen in the 2 previous movies, as I said, it gives you a real MAD MAX adventure feeling. With him we’re back to a “classic” sense of filmmaking, it’s not just about the special effects but it’s about the emotions, the characters, the sets, and the scenery.

iF: Are you trying to be very faithful to the game and are you a gamer yourself?

JOVOVICH: We try to stay close to the game…but at the same time you need to take some liberties because we are not shooting a game, we’re shooting a real movie. If it were only like a game it would be repetitive and boring. The main change that we have had is in setting most of the film during daytime! We have not done that before and it was a great call from Russell to go ahead and make this crucial decision. It gives you a real sense of how hard it is to survive in this post apocalyptic world because you can see the environment in which we are evolving. You can see and almost feel the hellish heat in the surroundings. It’s even scarier than having the film set during nighttime because Russell is playing with shadows, and sunlight and it’s very creepy.

iF: What about the special effects, how is this different?

JOVOVICH: Well, I think it’s going to be better and more complex because the script is more complex. The characters have more connections with one another. It’s also a film much more family oriented because it’s about a group of people that Alice meets and who have been on the road for 5 years. It has a more intimate feeling.

iF: Do you get very involved beyond being just an actress?

JOVOVICH: Sure, I need to feel like part of the team. I have my opinion and I love to share it and be creative. I just can’t sit without doing anything or saying anything. But I don’t get in the way either. I’m here to play my part and give as much as the rest of team wants to receive from me. I try not to be too much of a distraction but I have questions sometimes that I need answered so I can get a sense of what I’m doing or about to do. It’s easy to lose sight of what’s the dialogue, of what’s my part is about with all of the effects, the explosions, the wires…so it’s important for me to communicate and have people communicate with me. Russell is great about that; he is very supportive and here for you. He gets you to speed and helps you to get in the moment. I love to experiment and it’s great to have somebody so supportive. I love to look in the monitor and I like to understand what’s going on in order to fine-tune my game.

iF: What do you think about the themes of the movies involving politics, genetic manipulation, and man playing God? How is it for you to do a film that has some intelligence behind the action?

JOVOVICH: Well, this movie for sure captures the spirit of good people and shows that in spite of so many bad people there are a few still fighting for a better future and a better planet. We’re not trying to be too political but people can see whatever messages they want to see. For sure for me it’s more enjoyable to be part of a film that says something and isn’t just pure entertainment. But again, these types of films, the action/horror genre are mainly made to allow you to escape, to feel the rush. It’s not really a political platform with a specific moralistic tale. This one is about rising above and beyond the horror. It’s also about being protective with one another and that’s something so relevant in today’s world. We do need to help each other in order to survive. We can’t make it on our own, alone.

iF: So even though this one is called: RESIDENT EVIL: EXTINCTION ; do you think you will be back as Alice and fight more monstrous creatures for a fourth film’s

JOVOVICH: Who knows…I wouldn’t mind…I’m ready to fight anytime

IFMAGAZINE.com
Old 08-15-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts
Russell Mulcahy, eh? That seems promising.

So any word on wether or not Sienna Guillory will be returning?
Old 08-15-06, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All signs point to no, she won't be back.
Old 08-15-06, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That sucks. I couldn't keep my eyes off her whenever she was onscreen during the last RE film.
Old 08-15-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That sucks. I couldn't keep my eyes off her whenever she was onscreen during the last RE film.
from post 24

Sony Screen Gems has announced a September 7, 2007 release date for Resident Evil: Extinction, which stars Mike Epps, Milla Jovovich, Sienna Guillory, Oded Fehr, Iain Glen, Debra Marshall, Ashanti Douglas, Ali Larter and Chris Egan.
Old 08-15-06, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'd see this.
Old 08-16-06, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,142 Posts
<--Loves Milla
Old 08-17-06, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Russell Mulcahy, eh? That seems promising.
That's funny! Thanks for the laugh.
Old 08-18-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
from post 24

Sony Screen Gems has announced a September 7, 2007 release date for Resident Evil: Extinction, which stars Mike Epps, Milla Jovovich, Sienna Guillory, Oded Fehr, Iain Glen, Debra Marshall, Ashanti Douglas, Ali Larter and Chris Egan.
Woo-hoo!

Originally Posted by veloce
That's funny! Thanks for the laugh.
To each his own. I'm a fan of the original Highlander, I thought the sequel was enjoyable in "so bad it's good" sort of way (mainly due to the ridiculous script) and I though Ressurection wasn't half bad. All in all, he's a better director than the previous two.
Old 08-22-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to imdb.com, Sienna Guillory isn't listed in the cast.
Old 09-07-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Resident Evil Round-Up

Caught up with the always gracious Chris Durand - some say he was the best Michael Myers of the Shatner masked bunch - of "Halloween H20" fame, who tells me has a nice role in "Resident Evil : Extinction".

Durand, whose now going on to feature in "Vantage Point" with Dennis Quaid and Matthew Fox, is one of the film's foremost villains - and looks like his character is going to be a hard peach to squash. Saw some piccies, and it looks like this one's going to be a hoot and a holler, good zombie fun. Oded Fehr is apparently great in this one - but ain't he always great? Something tells me CD won't be back for the next one though.... just an inkling...

Speaking of both "Evil" and going on to bigger and better things, TV fave Jensen Ackles - he's the slightly cooler of the brother coupling on "Supernatural" - is about to make a splash on the long white screen that's usually surrounded by burgundy curtains. (He's getting some good word for his role in the upcoming "Ten Inch Hero", a film that's said to be along the lines of - and this is a good thing, for me anyway, cos I've got a largie for the film - "Empire Records". Linda Cardellini and Sean Patrick Flannery are among the cast.) Anyway, that's not the best part for the young actor - and probably not the biggest payday he's going to see in the next year or so, either. [I]He's in talks to play a main character in the fourth "Resident Evil" movie - yep, the third isn't even in theatres and they're a rushing a third into production - which starts filming next year.

Ackles would play the popular character of Leon Kennedy - the wisecracking copper from the last couple of games - in the film. He's one of couple of young guns being mentioned for the role, but I've a feeling his soaring star may just see him snag it.

MOVIEHOLE.net
Old 09-08-06, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 170 Posts
I loved the first two. I'll watch this one.
Old 09-28-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

'Resident Evil: Extinction' Gets Bumped Back Further

Sony Screen Gems has just announced that they've pushed back the release date of Resident Evil: Extinction even further! Originally announced for a September 7, 2007 release, Russell Mulcahy's film will now hit theaters September 21st.

BLOODY-DISGUSTING.com
Old 09-29-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Ackles actually looks a lot like Leon.
Old 12-20-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Co-star talks Resident Evil 4 rumours

Rumours are circulating that a planned fourth installment of the “Resident Evil” series – the third has just been completed, and the fourth was set to go up shortly after – has been put to sleep before its even escaped the studio womb.

Checked in with one of the stars of “Resident Evil: Extinction”, due out next year, who says as far as he knows plans for a “Resident Evil 4” are still very much alive.

Actor Chris Durand (Michael Myers in "Halloween H20") tells Moviehole that there was plenty of talk about a fourth film whilst they were filming the movie and he’s yet to hear otherwise. “I understood that 4 would take place in Alaska in the extreme Winter”.

What could be happening here is that the studio is announcing the next film as the final part of a trilogy – meaning “Resident Evil 4” will be the start of something new; a spin-off perhaps with one of the other characters. One little rumour that has been doing the rounds is that the character of Leon Kennedy could be the hero of the next movie – which would fit in nicely with these other rumours.

"Resident Evil: Extinction" is set in between 3 - 5 years after the events of "Apocalypse", the Umbrella Corporation has failed to control a series of T-Virus outbreaks and the U.S. has been almost wiped out. With very little humanity left, a handful of survivors are travelling around the remnants of the world in heavily armored convoys that go to the least populated parts of the world.

Milla Jovovich returns as Alice, and she's running with a new pack of humans, with Claire Redfield (Ali Larter) leading a convoy (a school bus and a modified ambulance) that's cutting through the wastelands of the United States on a long trek to Alaska. Hunted by the minions of the scheming Dr. Isaacs, Alice has zombies hungry for her flesh and lab rats hungry for her blood, while Alice is hungry for Revenge.

MOVIEHOLE.net
Old 02-16-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Some prints of "Ghost Rider" will have a teaser trailer for Resident Evil: Extinction this weekend.
Old 02-16-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I saw that teaser. It actually looks good. Kinda like Road Warrior with zombies.
Old 02-16-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't even see any zombies in that trailer. I'll pass.
Old 02-19-07, 05:49 PM

You must have seen different trailer.
Old 02-20-07, 08:29 AM

being a fan of the games, i'm looking forward to this myself.... hope that is it better than #2 though....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.