Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only XMEN the Last Stand REVIEW Thread SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only XMEN the Last Stand REVIEW Thread SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-06, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok.. how about this.. give Kitty the "cure" and let her go after Jean. Kitty's not going to get turned to ash because she's phasing through any heat and so is the "the cure" since she would be holding in. Once at jean she will stop with the phasing for just a brief second while she smacks jean with a needle.

That work for the whole going around the untouchable jean situation?

I agree about wolverine. He should have been turned to bones ala days of future past blast from sentinel.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-04-06 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
I just saw this flick for the 2nd time today, on someone else's dime, and I like this movie even more than the 1st time. I'm ok with the deaths, the changes, and fuck alla uze...HALLE BERRY'S Hips. Beast/Grammer Kitty/don't know her name Magneto/Ian

I would like Angel more because hey, wings are cool. But he was a pansy ass pretty boy in this movie. He's no manly man asskicker like DC's HAWKMAN.

I joke with you guys who hate this movie but to be honest, I'm really sorry that it didn't meet up with your expectations.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-04-06 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
That's the thing.. unleashed how? Oh, we have generic mutants with generic powers who die generic deaths for no reason other than to show wolverine slice someone cool. Big whoop.

Give me substance over flash any day. Magneto's actions go against his general character. That's the major problem behind it. He's trying to stop a cure for mutants and he does this by needlessly sending out tons of mutants to get cured? If he didn't care about them he would have let them get ambushed when he pulled the multiple man trick.

When i read Marvel stuff years ago I had always understood that one of Magneto's -major flaws- was his "at any cost" mentaility in getting a world ruled by Mutants? So letting minor suckers die to get to that goal makes sense doesn't it?
Old 06-04-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree about wolverine. He should have been turned to bones ala days of future past blast from sentinel.
Dude, you missed a major plot point that goes back to X1...Logan's Love for jean kept him whole. It's so obvious....

Old 06-04-06, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
When i read Marvel stuff years ago I had always understood that one of Magneto's -major flaws- was his "at any cost" mentaility in getting a world ruled by Mutants? So letting minor suckers die to get to that goal makes sense doesn't it?

Again. If he's willing to let those minor sucka's die, lose their power and become "normies" or get captured, why didn't he just leave them behind in the camp and flee with the few mutants he saw as worthy when he felt the heat coming on him from raven snitching. He used Multiple Man to make sure all of them got away and were headed to S.F. He could just as easily used Multiple Man to create that "army" feel when marching to the destination point... mind you, how did they get across the country so easily?

Even in the comics he's fighting for "mutant kind" and well.. I somehow doubt he would easily lead and move those he sees as fellow mutants and evolved beings get de-evolved all when he could have done a whole lot more to take care of the threats.

is all i'm saying.
Old 06-04-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PJsig08
This movie is trash. I am average Joe who went to see the movie (and liked the first two) but this movie is absolute garbage. Numerous points throughout the movie where the script/dialogue had me and my friends LAUGHING. I can't remember the last time I laughed that much when I wasn't supposed to. Those who disliked it have already touched upon all my points, but if you really are calling this the "BEST MOVIE EVA" you are a tool.

Anyone who likes this movie should be ashamed of themselves. This is the reason the movie industry is in the trouble it is. Since this piece of shit got made, there goes another quality movie that we'll never see. Brett Ratner should be ashamed of himself. Let's hope bad word of mouth drops this movie's gross down, but it'll still make a fortune somehow.

This was Michael Bay/Armaggeddon bad, people.
I guess I should be ashamed of myself then.
So you didnt like it, fine but to insult everyone that doesnt agree with is pretty juevenile.
I thought it was a fun movie and it was much better than say movies like F4 and Daredevil with their loud rock soundtracks and dumbing downto attract an audience of under 13.
The third movie expanded upon the universe and gave me a fun time. That's all I was looking for. It could have used another 15 minutes to flesh out characters like Kitty and the Winged Angel but I enjoyed them non the less.
Now I know why James Marsden had time to do this movie and Superman. Sheesh. I agree with the above poster when he said that Cyclops was given the short shrift in all the movies in favor of pumping up the Wolverine character.
I'd like to see another movie with some of the minor characters. perhaps we will in a few years.

Last edited by riley_dude; 06-04-06 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Even if Kitty phased, I don't think she can "fly" or levitate while in phase-mode, so Jean would just levitate to avoid Kitty's attempt to "cure" her.

Then again, Kitty's phase abilities make me scratch me head as to how she can still move about in phase-mode, or does she just maintain some momentum in the direction she was moving towards before going into her phase-mode.

Last edited by Patman; 06-04-06 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-04-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

She's not walking on any surfaces but walking on air molecules. She can control going up and down like an elevator. So she wouldn't actually be flying, but stepping on air molecules to go up and down. Anywhere Jean goes she can.

Just think, if she didn't have that sort of control to pretty much walk on molecules she would have phased all the way to through the world the first time she did so
Old 06-04-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I just saw this flick for the 2nd time today, on someone else's dime, and I like this movie even more than the 1st time. I'm ok with the deaths, the changes, and fuck alla uze...HALLE BERRY'S Hips. Beast/Grammer Kitty/don't know her name Magneto/Ian

I would like Angel more because hey, wings are cool. But he was a pansy ass pretty boy in this movie. He's no manly man asskicker like DC's HAWKMAN.

I joke with you guys who hate this movie but to be honest, I'm really sorry that it didn't meet up with your expectations.
I'm sorry, I had to laugh at that comment!!
Old 06-04-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i liked the movie, the first two werent the greatest movies, the first one wasnt any better then this one infact its probably worse. I thought this was an excellent popcorn movie
Old 06-05-06, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Went today and enjoyed the film. Highlights were Logan and Jean, Kitty Pride, Morlocks. What a great franchise! I hope they just keep making these and I hope Jean and Scott come back. My least favorite parts were Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut (although I love the character, I thought he was a poor casting choice) and the dickhead/bitch lines.

I did think the film tried to cover too much/too many, however it's a fine line between skipping characters completely and including them but leaving them underdeveloped. I guess all things being equal, I'd rather have them in the film as tertiary characters than not have them in the film at all. No doubt that I would have loved another 30 minutes of character development. I would also rate it as my least favorite of the 3 films, but I liked it.
Old 06-05-06, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Again. If he's willing to let those minor sucka's die, lose their power and become "normies" or get captured, why didn't he just leave them behind in the camp and flee with the few mutants he saw as worthy when he felt the heat coming on him from raven snitching. He used Multiple Man to make sure all of them got away and were headed to S.F. He could just as easily used Multiple Man to create that "army" feel when marching to the destination point... mind you, how did they get across the country so easily?

Even in the comics he's fighting for "mutant kind" and well.. I somehow doubt he would easily lead and move those he sees as fellow mutants and evolved beings get de-evolved all when he could have done a whole lot more to take care of the threats.

is all i'm saying.

Ok, fair enough. I still don't think it was way out of characer or most importantly, out of the character created in the movie universe.
Old 06-05-06, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it recently, wasn't impressed too much by it. I liked it and all but was expecting more.

My favorite is still number two.
Old 06-05-06, 08:29 AM

is all i'm saying.
In these 3 movies, he has consistently put his cause ahead of his feelings for fellow mutants. That was a big point in the first one when he was willing to kill Rogue in that machine to further his cause.
Old 06-05-06, 09:56 AM

Ok.. how about this.. give Kitty the "cure" and let her go after Jean. Kitty's not going to get turned to ash because she's phasing through any heat and so is the "the cure" since she would be holding in. Once at jean she will stop with the phasing for just a brief second while she smacks jean with a needle.
Kitty still has a mind even in phase form and isnt immune from telepaths. Jean would stop her dead in her tracks
Old 06-05-06, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

2nd guessing comic books isn't any harder than 2nd guessing this movie. Even Chris Claremont (or John Byrne or Neal Adams or anyone else) comics.

Wolvie says he's the only one who could do it. I think he is indicating that his emotional ties with Jean will allow him a chance that Dark Phoenix wouldn't give anyone else. That's consistent with the original stories too - Jean was able to assert a modicum of influence on the omnipotence of the Phoenix. The way Phoenix was set up, an average superhero, mutant or no, wouldn't be anywhere near in her league as far as brute power - certainly not Wolvie. Remember, Prof X is one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel Universe and he was dispatched in the film with relative ease. No one else in the film had anywhere near the power to destroy Phoenix unless she was being held back. (IMO)
Old 06-05-06, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Yet, the story arc they are lifting come from 1980. Just going thru the synopsis of Uncanny X-Men 135 - 137 should have been more than adequate for the story to be told (with the slight changes I mentioned in this post).
Don't get me wrong. The fact that they didn't do a proper telling of the Phoenix story did piss me off a bit. I didn't think this movie was great and I'm not excited about X-Men 4 (unless Singer returns) but I'm not about to launch a Fanboy Crusade against it, or participate in one.
Old 06-05-06, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't we just concentrate on the good things like Mystique?
Old 06-05-06, 01:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Havok83
Kitty still has a mind even in phase form and isnt immune from telepaths. Jean would stop her dead in her tracks
Stop her how? If she's phasing, there's nothing to stop. Unless you mean she'd fry her brains, which I could see.
Old 06-05-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Havok83

Then that same answer goes against wolvie. If Magneto could easily hold him back holding his metal, Jean should have easily held him back. The only thing that was holding him back was what seemed like air.

Besides that, Kitty would be in phase form, she wouldn't be able to get tk'ed because their's no solid mass to tk away.

Wolvie says he's the only one who could do it. I think he is indicating that his emotional ties with Jean will allow him a chance that Dark Phoenix wouldn't give anyone else. That's consistent with the original stories too - Jean was able to assert a modicum of influence on the omnipotence of the Phoenix. The way Phoenix was set up, an average superhero, mutant or no, wouldn't be anywhere near in her league as far as brute power - certainly not Wolvie. Remember, Prof X is one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel Universe and he was dispatched in the film with relative ease. No one else in the film had anywhere near the power to destroy Phoenix unless she was being held back. (IMO)
Why's that. Kitty seemed pretty good under pressure in getting a job done in finding leech. It's not an emotional thing. No more than sticking FOUR cures into magneto. Kitty could have easily done the same to jean by getting past her defense in phase mode. No brute power needed.
Old 06-05-06, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kitty seemed pretty good under pressure in getting a job done in finding leech.
maybe I wasn't paying attention but didn't she just happen to run (phase) into his room when running away from Juggs?!
Old 06-05-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, she lost Juggy first. She stopped phasing and while Juggy kept going through walls she just phased around to find him.
Old 06-05-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Why run away from Juggy in the first place?
Old 06-05-06, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts
Wow, just read through the entirety of this thread (well, I'll be honest, I started skimming near the end). Wife and I went with some friends, and my friend remarked that the "comic book geeks" at his work were at an uproar over the changes made in this movie. Being a comic book geek myself, I was a little offended, but I didn't realize the depths of hatred this movie invokes on fans. Maybe it's because I've recently been reading Ultimate X-men, which is basically a retelling of core X-men stories, but in an entirely different universe, and thus with many changes. There, Juggernaut is a mutant, and seemingly not related to Xavier. Phoenix is not some otherworldly being, but part of Jean. And yes, there was a love triangle with Iceman, Rogue, and Kitty Pride. I guess I can appreciate that comic being different takes on a core concept, much as I can appreciate the deviations this movie takes from the original comic book continuity. Otherwise, even the much beloved X-men cartoon is miles and miles away from the comic book. Heck, different writers have drastically altered the X-men to suit their styles... most recently, Morrison and Whedon.

I can't really judge the movie as a non-comicbook fan, but as a fan of the comics, I liked it as an action packed summer flick. Yeah, there were plotholes, and there were nods to the fanbase that were a little cutesy, but I liked it.

As far as some of the arguments in this thread:

It's true that one of the ongoing themes for the X-men is being "hated and feared" by normal people, the analog being discrimination and racism. But Rogue became a part of the X-men because she had no choice but to accept her powers. As someone else said, her power is a curse... in her case, it was a disease. It's not like "a black man deciding to become white." I thought the movie set up her longing to be with her boyfriend, her jealousy that someone else could be with him as she could not, quite well. And I thought they did a good job with Beast bringing up the point to Storm that not everyone has a power that allows them to be seen as normal. It's easy for Storm to argue that mutants shouldn't be cured... she looks normal and has a great power. She's not covered with fur, or afraid to touch people. Magneto had a MUCH better point that the real fear is that they would force them to be cured against their will.

I thought they also established that Wolverine teamed up with the X-men for one reason... to get to Jean and help her. He couldn't do it alone, and he tried. He even says at the end he didn't do it for them, he did it for her. Sure, they have to soften him up because hey, he's the main protagonist and he has to be likeable and toned down (the speech was a little much), but I didn't think it was that much of a departure for him to go with them in the end.

They also presented Magneto's side quite well... in fact, some of the earliest posters in this thread almost sided with him over the X-men. Especially with the hypocrisy the X-men displayed when they callously "cured" Magneto. If anything, they should have been more conflicted about that. I would have also preferred that there wasn't so rosy and ending, with McCoy getting that ambassador gig... if anything, the whole conflict should have heightened mutant/human tension, with humans fearing mutants more than ever.

The whole bridge thing was a little ridiculous, but it did show off Magneto's power to the audience, and to the military. Still, they didn't need the bridge to connect to the island, since his army was on the bridge, not on the mainland, and it just helped the backup troops get to the island easier. It gave Magneto extra ammunition, but really why just throw car fireballs? The day to night transition was terrible, and poor Madrox probably got the crap beaten out of him, not to mention being cured many, many times over by the frustrated soldiers.

Marsden's Cyclops was not a strong enough character in either of the first two films to be the love interest that the audience would root for in the battle with Jean Grey. When they didn't show him die outright, it left hope that he would come back later on, which is why I don't think Marsden is totally divorced from this franchise... otherwise, why not just off him onscreen?

Angel was left with nothing to do, but he did was a convenient plot point in
a) establishing the reason behind creating the cure
b) giving the X-men a reason to keep the school open
Old 06-05-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

cause don't you know, he's the Juggernaut, bitch......

worse line ever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.