Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If you could magically reverse a movie's boxoffice performance...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

If you could magically reverse a movie's boxoffice performance...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cornbetts
This is exactly what I am talking about. People cannot accept any criticism on The Passion because of it's biblical background. Yes most people who are Christian don't need to know the back story, however I did not feel the film gave much outside of a blood bath.

In order for a film to work and for the audience to care about the characters there has to be "something" there on screen, not something that you are supposed to know through a religion class. I just felt like there was not enough being told on screen for the audience.

You know how you see a sequel to a film and it doesn't make sense because you didn't see the original? That is how I feel about this film. This film should be able to stand on it's own without having to know the bible or even have heard of the bible. To me all I got was 2 hours of watching a man die.

I agree with you on the subtitles. I am not upset about that. In fact, I thought that was actually distracting to the film and could have tolerated the film in it's spoken language.

Sorry, I just hated this movie. Much like some people hate Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Jaws. I mean no offense to people who love it or those who are religious. I just hated The Passion.
You are more than entitled to dislike the movie. However, I believe that your reasoning for disliking the movie is flawed. If you felt that the acting was bad or that it was too long or that it was improperly edited or that it was too violent that's one thing, but from what I know about the Bible (admittedly not much even though I am a Catholic) it was a fairly accurate retelling of the events. Like I said, the story of the Passion is not Jesus' life story. It is simply a story of what happened during his last 12 hours alive. The story was never meant to go too deep into Jesus' life. And honestly did you really need to see Jesus grow up and have an hour long backstory in order to care about him? I'm not saying anything about your faith so don't think that but for MOST Christians it doesn't take much to care about Jesus. And frankly a person that doesn't believe in Christ probably wouldn't like this movie very much, but I don't think Mel Gibson made this movie for anybody other than Christians. There are a couple billion of them out there so that's a pretty large audience.
Old 05-18-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Well i would like to have seen the following do better at the box office, but in some ways it has worked out better in the long run. A lot seem to have ganrned a new life thanks to DVD....but more box office wouldn't have hurt.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (I would love to see some of the other books in the series adapted).
Fight Club (Saw it at the cinema and think it is pure genius).
Bladerunner (Favourite film of all time and stands the test of time better than 99% of other movies).
Constantine (I actually liked the movie and would like to see some sequels).
Dune (I thought Lynch did a great job)
Gattacca
Office Space
Rounders
Sexy Beast
Escape from LA (I thought the film was not very good...not a scratch on the original....but the character of Snake deserves more than this).
Old 05-18-06, 10:52 AM

I'll give a second vote to:
Master and Commander
Sahara
Land of the Dead
I love horror, but sometimes the tastes of horror fans puzzle me. I would have films like High Tension, Shaun of the Dead, and Slither make lots more money, while films like When A Stranger Calls and the Amityville remake would gross a lot less. Scream can stay a hit, but all of the rip-offs that followed would bomb in my world.
Old 05-18-06, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am done debating The Passion. This post was intended to be for films you would reverse the box office on, not to debate whether a movie was accurate or not.

I have said all I need to about my feelings for The Passion. It just did not have any "magic" for me personally and I hated it.

As I have stated before, this film is critic proof because of the subject matter. I did not read one bad review that I can recall. I went in expecting The Godfather of religious films and got what I thought was the Gigli of religious films.
Old 05-18-06, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cornbetts
I am done debating The Passion. This post was intended to be for films you would reverse the box office on, not to debate whether a movie was accurate or not.

I have said all I need to about my feelings for The Passion. It just did not have any "magic" for me personally and I hated it.

As I have stated before, this film is critic proof because of the subject matter. I did not read one bad review that I can recall. I went in expecting The Godfather of religious films and got what I thought was the Gigli of religious films.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/passion_of_the_christ/

Well it wasn't critic proof. 51% isn't exactly a homerun. Like I said, you didn't thave to like the movie, but I still think that the reasons you didn't like it don't make any sense.
Old 05-18-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
The Rundown starring the Rock was a really fun movie (outside of the clunky last battle) that should have crossed the 100 mill mark making it a modest hit.
That's a good one. I agree, I wish the Rundown did far better at the box office.
Old 05-18-06, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
King Kong and Batman Begins deserved to have higher totals...

Ditto
Old 05-18-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I also concur with Sahara.

Furthermore, I would knock down the gross of the Meet the Parents and Analyze This series as DeNiro needs to not ever do comedy. Not ever.
Old 05-18-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That's a good one. I agree, I wish the Rundown did far better at the box office.
Yeah, I love this movie.

Old 05-19-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish Igby Goes Down would have done better. But then, it wouldn't be my own special little secret favorite, would it?

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 05-19-06, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Id make Unbreakable (one of my favorite movies of all time) have a much higher boxoffice so that M. Night wouldve done sequels. Its probably best that it didnt happen though as sequels have usually ruined some of my favorite movies (ex. The Matrix).
Old 05-19-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would decrease the amount made on Spiderman 2, and increase the scratch made on Green Street Hooligans because I cant get enough of English Football movies...
Old 05-19-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm choosing a little differently.

Less B.O. = The Matrix. Loved it, but that might have stopped the 2 worst sequels ever.

More B.O. = BTTF 2/3, Many people don't like these, and I love this trilogy, possibly best of all.
Old 05-19-06, 09:45 PM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Almost Famous- Very underappreciated film.
Old 05-20-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I wish Waterworld hadn't bombed so people couldn't make fun of it as easily.
Waterworld did not bomb. That's a myth. It cost $175 million to make and grossed $264 million worldwide. Of course there were marketing costs but there was also revenue from video rentals and sales plus sales to broadcast, cable and premium channel TV.

The film did not break any records but it did not bomb.

Last edited by movielib; 05-20-06 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-20-06, 01:22 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I would make Conan The Destroyer earn more so there would have been a third movie. Unfortunately, the movie wasn't that good but I wanted a third with the original director.

Oh, and I would make Serenity bomb.....wait a minute, it did. Nevermind
Old 05-20-06, 02:33 PM

I would magically improve box office success for Serenity, Batman and King Kong.

Take away the success for Shrek 2 and Finding Nemo .
Old 05-20-06, 02:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
I wish Igby Goes Down would have done better. But then, it wouldn't be my own special little secret favorite, would it?

cheers,

-the Jesus
it's not a secret. i love it too!
Old 05-20-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Master and Commander
Transporter 2

None of them bombed really, but I wish they had both made a lot more so sequels would be a given. "Master" is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time and the Transporter movies are just fun. Anyone know if another Transporter sequel will see the light of day?
Old 05-20-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
I wish The DaVinci Code would make about 5 million, and then disappear.

I am sick of hearing about it...
Old 05-20-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
I would decrease the box office of Waterworld.

There's only one movie I can think of that deserved a bigger box office take: The Iron Giant. It's still a crime how that movie never got the push it deserved.
Old 05-20-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Anyone know if another Transporter sequel will see the light of day?
I would definately expect a sequel. I read somewhere in an interview with Statham that he and Besson had discussed it and that Besson had a great idea for a third movie.
Old 05-21-06, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by bhk
I would have liked T3 to make more money. I really liked the story and the fact that it had the guts to stick with a down type ending.
Huh?
Spoiler:
T3's ending went against EVERYTHINg T2 did. I didn't hate T3 but it pales in comparison to the first two
Old 05-21-06, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hospitaller
I would have made Return of the Jedi tank... the original trilogy will forever be a part of my childhood, but this way Lucas would have been punished for the Ewoks, and maybe there would not have been special editions or prequels which would be just fine in my book.
I like your choice there,i was gonna say Phantom Menace but this way makes more sense
Old 05-21-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Citizen Kane +++
Independence Day ---

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.