Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies You Like But Everyone Else Hates?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies You Like But Everyone Else Hates?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
There are people in this world who DON'T like Krull and Best of the Best?

Krull has been a favorite since childhood (just watched part of it this week) and my friends and I still quote lines from BotB, especially while playing fighting games.

"Drop em like a toilet seat Tommy!" and "Take dat!" are classic Chris Penn lines from that awesome movie (best bar fight, period!)
Old 01-11-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
* Cutthroat Island - It's generally remembered as a titanic flop that sunk Carolco Pictures and derailed Geena Davis and Renny Harlin's careers, but I thought it was a fun swashbuckling movie, even if it does overindulge a bit on the pyrotechnics. Also, the soundtrack is probably better than the movie itself.

* Kevin Costner's Post-Apocalyptic Duology (Waterworld & Postman) - Pretenious and overblown (especially Postman), but heck, I still like 'em. What can I say, I have a soft spot for the end of the world.

* The Adventures of Ford Fairlane - More Renny Harlin action! I'm not a big Andrew Dice Clay fan, but this movie does make me laugh.

* Star Trek V - I'm enough of a Star Trek fan to believe that all the movies have some merit, some just less than others. This movie just needed a decent ending and I think it would have turned out a lot better.
Old 01-11-06, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AI: Artificial Intelligence
Old 01-11-06, 04:00 PM

Another vote for Passenger 57 and Hudson Hawk plus:

Red Dawn ("WOLVERINES")
Red Sonja
Ford Fairlane
Road House (but I find that a lot of people now enjoy it as a guilty pleasure)
Iron Eagle
Walking Tall (the Rock)
Congo
Waterworld
The Last Dragon
Tuff Turf

I just like movies i guess...

Last edited by AEspinoza1; 01-11-06 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-11-06, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
"Drop em like a toilet seat Tommy!"
Dammit I was eating gummy bears when I read that and I swear some of it went up my nose laughing so hard. That totally made my day. Now I gotta rent that...

EDIT: Over 20 minutes later and I'm still laughing.

Last edited by BenboC; 01-11-06 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-11-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Elmo's Fire

* Star Trek V - I'm enough of a Star Trek fan to believe that all the movies have some merit, some just less than others. This movie just needed a decent ending and I think it would have turned out a lot better.
I think it needed some better dialogue too and to make characters the laugh like Scotty bumping into the ship and falling down and Uhura dancing naked on the hill probably shouldn't have been kept in the script.

I also liked The Long Kiss Goodnight with Geena Davis.
Old 01-11-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really like 1941. It has its supporters but I think the general consensus is that it's Spielberg's worst film. It's my favorite of his. Also I'm a stickler for wanting original theatrical versions available on DVD but in this case I will break my own rule; I think the extended version available on DVD is better. This desperately needs a new transfer; maybe with BR/HDDVD we can get both versions (at least Universal did this with The Blues Brothers latest DVD so maybe there's hope for both versions on a future release).

+1 for Alien3; it's my favorite of the series, and I say that having seen only the theatrical version (in a theater no less).

I'm still trying to figure out She Hate Me. I don't know if I like it or not, but it intrigues me. I don't know if it is supposed to be a joke on the audience; I don't see how director Lee, who I find so assured in his best work, could create something that misfires in so many ways, so badly, unless it was intentional.

Reflections in a Golden Eye is a favorite of mine that used to be pretty reviled, but I think that critical reaction to it is now more favorable than when I first saw it in the 80s. Still waiting for a DVD release with full color and desaturated color versions.

Last edited by obscurelabel; 01-11-06 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-11-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Soldier.

While I didn't like it, my mother loved Ishtar.
Old 01-11-06, 04:56 PM

Probably everything I like is hated to some extent, but I see the most hatred for:
Freddy Got Fingered
Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows
Old 01-11-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
* The Adventures of Ford Fairlane - More Renny Harlin action! I'm not a big Andrew Dice Clay fan, but this movie does make me laugh.
I'd put this on my list, as well.

And someone else mentioned Predator 2, which is another for my list.
Old 01-11-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Last Action Hero
Old 01-11-06, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Armageddon
Hudson Hawk
Anchorman
The prequels
alien 3
Old 01-11-06, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
(raises hand) I hated it
Originally Posted by kitkat
I hated Anchorman.
Yeah, I've found that many people on the forum don't like the movie. But it's far from universally hated. I think it takes a certain type of breed (maybe an I.Q. of 48 or below) to enjoy Anchorman. Out of curiosity, what didn't you guys like about it?
Old 01-11-06, 05:16 PM
Suspended

I loved Armageddon, but I don't really think that counts since it's mostly only hated on the internet. It got a standing ovation from a full theater when I first saw it. Almost everyone there loved it and some people were in tears during a few parts.

I love Starship Troopers. I don't know if that counts. It seems to be a love it or hate it film rather than "universally hated" film.

I liked Godzilla. I know that was universally hated. I didn't "love it", but it was fun. I wasn't a Godzilla fan, so I went in expecting too see a giant creature wreak havoc on New York, not a genius story or a man in a silly rubber suit.
Old 01-11-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
She's All That I love it so much it hurts. I probably watched it twenty times when I was in high school.
I also liked 10 Things I hate about you.
I actually liked Constantine too.
Old 01-11-06, 05:29 PM
En vacance

Conan the Destroyer
Old 01-11-06, 05:33 PM

Does it count if I absolutely and absolutely enjoy House of the Dead because it's so hated and just plain awful? If not, then I'll submit:

The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Die Hard 2
Jason X
Kung Pow!
Karate Kid Part III
The Crow: Salvation
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Back to the Future III
Old 01-11-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Johny Boy
Yeah, I've found that many people on the forum don't like the movie. But it's far from universally hated. I think it takes a certain type of breed (maybe an I.Q. of 48 or below) to enjoy Anchorman. Out of curiosity, what didn't you guys like about it?
I just couldn't get into it, and it was a bit lowbrow for my usual taste, but I saw it not long after seeing 40 Year Old Virgin, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I thought the humor might be similar to that, and I thought I would enjoy seeing the 70's sent up. It seemed like it would be forgettable, but fun, and I guess to most people it was. To me, most of the jokes fell flat, and I never really cared about Ron's character, so it was a waste of my time.
Old 01-11-06, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (hated mostly by critics, though)

The 13th Warrior

Underworld
Old 01-11-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

John Wayne's Vietnam War movie, The Green Berets (1968)
Old 01-11-06, 06:18 PM

I've got heaps, but I guess the best known are;

Alien vs Predator - I have no idea what's wrong with this film and the recently released extended version gives more in depth character development and is even better.
Resident Evil - An effective prequel to the first PSX game.
Alone In The Dark - As an adaptation of the game it completely sucks, but people judge it too harshly after Boll's 'House Of The Dead' and it is a far better movie than HOTD as well. I'm sure Bloodrayne will be a further leap and be better than AITD.
Kung-Pow - Do people just not get it? I love the humour in this Oedekerk is the king of Hong Kong spoofs.
UHF - Mostly panned by critics it has gotten a cult following and is really funny! It's only fault is that they released it during the same period as Ghostbusters 2 and guess what people went to see?...
Flesh and Blood - I love this film. It's perhaps the most realistic portrayal of life in the dark ages in Europe. That's why people shy away I think. With rape, germ warfare and some painful violence it has to be the grittiest middle ages style movie ever.
...there's more, but I'll have to take a gander at my DVD collection.
Old 01-11-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Iceskaarj
Alien 3
A lot.
Old 01-11-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The works of Tony Scott. Well, most of them.

-JP
Old 01-11-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
War of the Worlds (2005)
Old 01-11-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Recent movies that I REALLY enjoy:

The Phantom Menace
Hulk
Daredevil
Reign of Fire
Alien Vs. Predator
Planet of the Apes (2001)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.