Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Am Legend Coming Summer 2007 (Will Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I Am Legend Coming Summer 2007 (Will Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I thought the movie was decent. I didn't care for the creatures at all. They seem like a Mummy castoff. Also, how did some people get in and out of the city when all routes in and out seemed to be destroyed? Did they forget about that? And just like many of the zombie movies how do they, the creatures, decide who to "infect" to join their legion and who to just chomp on like a visit to the Golden Corrall?
Old 12-24-07, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q

This was actually the most comical moment of the film to me. Since Neville skills at landing a deer were unsuccessful - well, couple that with the loss of bacon and it's quite obvious. It's not like he could have walked down to the local BK for a bacon double venison burger with cheese anymore. The shit was real at that point!!
Actually the bacon part was not at all comical. He was trying to hold on to the last moments of his life before the event. You see this when he replaces items in the beginning of the film. I wasn't about the bacon, it was about her altering something that had he had trying to keep the same way it was before the event. She could have cooked anything and his reaction would have been the same.
Old 12-24-07, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I thought the movie was decent. I didn't care for the creatures at all. They seem like a Mummy castoff. [b]Also, how did some people get in and out of the city when all routes in and out seemed to be destroyed? Did they forget about that?[b/] And just like many of the zombie movies how do they, the creatures, decide who to "infect" to join their legion and who to just chomp on like a visit to the Golden Corrall?
I believe they said they took a boat or something?
The part that annoyed me the most (and caused people on another site I'm on to call me a moron, retard, stupid, etc.), was the fact that there was no mention of the Holland or Lincoln Tunnels...
Old 12-24-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cinten
Actually the bacon part was not at all comical. He was trying to hold on to the last moments of his life before the event. You see this when he replaces items in the beginning of the film. It wasn't about the bacon, it was about her altering something that had he had trying to keep the same way it was before the event. She could have cooked anything and his reaction would have been the same.
I realize it wasn't intentionally comical, though I found many areas of the film as such. You might be right, but considering there was only one slight tie in (as you noted) I completely missed it. Scripting genius? I doubt it.
Old 12-24-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Did anyone notice that the vocal effects were done by Mike Patton?
Best part of the movie for me. It's nice to see Mike Patton doing things outside of music. I know recently on top of this film he did voices for "The Darkness" and "Portal" video games.

Just saw the movie tonight. Not great but it really wasn't that bad either. I liked the set pieces and Will Smith's acting was pretty tolerable. Didn't care for everything else in the movie.
Old 12-25-07, 04:30 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
is the Omega Man with Heston worth watching for comparison ? or is it too dated ?
Old 12-25-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For me, I inferred that Neville considered that bacon to be used for a celebration for finding a cure. The mom and son just saw it as some good tasting pork bits after a long time going without good tasting food. They had no idea Neville has putting off eating the bacon until his nightmare had ended. For Neville, it represented the reward to fixing the problem, metaphorically so. I don't think you need to tie it to a grasp of "normalcy" for Neville.
Old 12-25-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
I enjoyed some aspects of the film but I had some preconceptions going in which was a bad omen. It didn't live up to most of them.
I've read the entire thread and that seems to be the big point of contention. People familiar with the book or previous films find this one middling at best. Those that have no frame of reference seem have enjoyed it despite the flaws.
Old 12-25-07, 05:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 930 Likes on 779 Posts
a good movie. def not what i expected going in. thought it would be balls out action, but pleasantly surprised how it turns out. kinda sci-fi "Castaway" and "Castaway" has grown on me greatly since release.
Will can certainly hold a movie by himself with literally no other actors in the entire movie until the last minutes and very little music just like "Castaway". i really felt for him and Sam, the relationship was indeed special and then heartbreaking.
a movie that festers and will grow on you the more you give in and think about it.
Old 12-25-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by cinten
Actually the bacon part was not at all comical. He was trying to hold on to the last moments of his life before the event. You see this when he replaces items in the beginning of the film. I wasn't about the bacon, it was about her altering something that had he had trying to keep the same way it was before the event. She could have cooked anything and his reaction would have been the same.
I thought he was saving it with hope that the one lady from the video store would come over and have some BLTs with him.
Old 12-25-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
is the Omega Man with Heston worth watching for comparison ? or is it too dated ?
I sall I'am Legend today. While I enjoyed it, I thought the Omega Man was much better in the over-all telling of the story and the characters involved. I still dont understand the deer/moose thing or whatever they were and then the lions. I think The Omega Man was alot better film overall. I doubt I would buy the Dvd of I am Legend.
Old 12-25-07, 07:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The film was awesome up until
Spoiler:
Sam died

Also, how the hell could these creatures set up a trap? C'mon! At first, I assumed it was one Neville setup and forgot about...but I guess not.
Old 12-25-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The film was awesome up until
Spoiler:
Sam died

Also, how the hell could these creatures set up a trap? C'mon! At first, I assumed it was one Neville setup and forgot about...but I guess not.

They aren't mindless animals. Overly aggressive and bloodthirsty in this version of the story, yes. But they're not totally mindless.
Old 12-25-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by ernestrp
I sall I'am Legend today. While I enjoyed it, I thought the Omega Man was much better in the over-all telling of the story and the characters involved. I still dont understand the deer/moose thing or whatever they were and then the lions. I think The Omega Man was alot better film overall. I doubt I would buy the Dvd of I am Legend.
I just assumed that was all part of the breakdown of society. I'm guessing nature was taking back the cities and the Lions were probably from the Zoo.
Old 12-25-07, 11:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Did anyone else think
Spoiler:
that Neville was partly responsible for the virus? I know it was never really addressed, but it would explain his suicide move at the end.
I enjoyed it overall. I'm going to be one of the few to say that the cgi didn't bother me, though I would've preferred real people. While they didn't look great, I thought most of the shots of them from far away and running looked good, and I think James Newton Howard's score helped a lot on the suspense factor. The ending needed to be better, but I think it's worth watching if you ever liked a single movie Will Smith's done, because he gives a great performance here.
Old 12-25-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the trailer some months ago and decided I had to watch this movie. I found this thread and read about the book. I went to the bookstore and bought the book, and then found out it was just a story in the book, so I read it in one night. I really enjoyed the story in the book.

I just saw the movie and although I thought that I was not going to be true to the book I was expecting several parts to be the same as the book.
At the end I'd say that the movie is just inspired by the book. There are a lot of differences between the book and the movie.
I think the movie was short, they should've developed more the story, there are a lot of areas they could've created more story for the movie.
And of course I didn't like the ending. I didn't like why Neville is a legend in the movie, but I loved why he's a legend in the book.
Btw, most of the people was like wtf? at the end of the movie. My wife and sister-in-law didn't like the movie either.
Old 12-26-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
Did anyone else think
Spoiler:
that Neville was partly responsible for the virus? I know it was never really addressed, but it would explain his suicide move at the end.
I enjoyed it overall. I'm going to be one of the few to say that the cgi didn't bother me, though I would've preferred real people. While they didn't look great, I thought most of the shots of them from far away and running looked good, and I think James Newton Howard's score helped a lot on the suspense factor. The ending needed to be better, but I think it's worth watching if you ever liked a single movie Will Smith's done, because he gives a great performance here.
Thought the same thing myself.

And the CGI was very much below par, especially in the scenes with the animals. The shot of the lion taking out the deer early in the film looked like it was ripped straight out of Jumanji.
Old 12-26-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raul3
I watched the trailer some months ago and decided I had to watch this movie. I found this thread and read about the book. I went to the bookstore and bought the book, and then found out it was just a story in the book, so I read it in one night. I really enjoyed the story in the book.

I just saw the movie and although I thought that I was not going to be true to the book I was expecting several parts to be the same as the book.
At the end I'd say that the movie is just inspired by the book. There are a lot of differences between the book and the movie.
I think the movie was short, they should've developed more the story, there are a lot of areas they could've created more story for the movie.
And of course I didn't like the ending. I didn't like why Neville is a legend in the movie, but I loved why he's a legend in the book.
Btw, most of the people was like wtf? at the end of the movie. My wife and sister-in-law didn't like the movie either.
I don't plan to read the book, can you spoilerize why he's a legend in that version? thanks
Old 12-26-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
Synopsis (forgive me, as this is all off the top of my head):

Spoiler:

Robert Neville lives in California, in a suburb of LA (Compton, maybe... I can't recall, but the book was written before Compton evoked the images it does now). A plague, likely caused by bacteria, has apparently wiped out almost all the people on the planet, and the people who weren't wiped out were turned into ravenous creatures who can roam only at night (vampires, for all intents and purposes). Neville's wife and child both succumbed to the bacteria and died.

By day, he scavenges for food. He also hunts down the vampires and destroys them, usually by traditional methods (stake through the heart, dragging them into sunlight etc.). By night, he remains inside of his fortified house. He's constantly tormented by the vampires outside; the vampires in this version are at least somewhat intelligent, and they constantly try to entice him to come out. In particular, his old neighbor and the female vampires are the worst; the females constantly try to entice Neville outside by offering him sexual favors, which is especially torturous for Neville due to his isolation. The constant solitude, combined with his nighttime torment, leads him to alcoholism and thoughts of suicide.

Neville eventually sets out to discover what caused the plague. He essentially teaches himself science, pilfering lab equipment from around town to do research. He determines that most of the physical changes are caused by the bacteria. But he also discovers that some of the changes are psychological (the vampires' aversion to garlic, his observation of one trying unsuccessfully to "turn into a bat and fly" by jumping off a lamp pole and flapping his arms), because the victims of the plague believe themselves to be vampires. That psychological dementia probably saved Neville's life, as if the vampires had been cogent, they would have probably just burned his house down.

At one point, a dog who has managed to survive appears. While at first, it is scared of Neville, over a period of days he eventually begins to coax it closer and closer. He eventually captures it, but it's infected, and it dies a week later.

Shortly afterward, Neville sees a human wandering the streets during the day. She, like the dog, runs. He chases her down and basically attacks her, bringing her back to his house. Once there, he has a difficult time readjusting to being with another human; he's also distrustful of her. I may be hazy on what happens, but I seem to recall her knocking him out and leaving his house. When she leaves, she deposits a note for Neville to find.

The note basically tells him that she's an infected as well, but some of them have retained their mental faculties and managed to devise a way to go out for limited amounts of time during the day. Otherwise, they also have to sleep during the day, and while doing so, they are indistinguishable from the normal vampires. She tells him the other similarly infected will be coming for him, and she warns him that he should flee.

He chooses not to flee, and they do eventually come for him. In the process, they slaughter the vampires who have been loitering outside of Neville's house. During this assault, Neville feels a strange sense of attachment to the monsters outside and laments their death. The intelligent vampires also wound Neville in the process by shooting him. They take Neville away to await execution. While awaiting execution, the female brings him drugs so he won't feel any pain when his time comes.

During this time, Neville comes to a realization. He observes that the intelligent infected are slowly rebuilding society. He also realizes that, since he couldn't tell them apart from the regular infected, he's likely killed a great many of them over the years. Just as the vampires that supposedly haunted earlier human society were legend, he realizes that, as he stalked this fledgling society while it slept, he had become legend as well.

So the essential differences:
Spoiler:

Neville isn't in any way related to the cure for the disease, neither before the pandemic nor after. He wasn't even a scientist, much less the military scientist who was responsible for the cure. He was an ordinary citizen caught up in the disaster.

His family died to the disease, not some helicopter crash.

He was in a suburban environment. The vampires knew where he lived and tormented him.

The vampires were not uber-Gollums. They weren't hairless, super strong, acrobats. They were vicious, but they were like humans in appearance and physicality. They retained their ability to speak, but they also suffered from dementia that kept them from formulating complex plans. They were resistant to certain things, like bullets, but nearly all of the traditional vampire defenses worked on them, either because the physical change to vampire introduced new vulnerabilities, or because the vampires actually believed themselves to be vampires (and were thus afraid of things they knew vampires should be afraid of, like garlic).

He was far from the thriving (physically) survivor of the movie. He certainly wasn't spending his mornings exercising or doing recreation. He was drinking himself into oblivion most nights, and he was going through the motions during the day to survive.

There was a dog, but it appeared briefly to give Neville hope, and then it died. It wasn't a companion in any way, much less a remnant of his pre-plague life and family.

There were 0 other humans in the movie. The one who showed up, as I said, was a spy sent by the intelligent vampires. I kept expecting the one in this movie to reveal that, but she didn't.

There was no "safe zone" or refuge. The book ends with the start of the vampire society, not the resurgence of the human society.

The title meant something completely, completely different.
Jamezuva - This post explains the 'legend' part for you.
Old 12-26-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond

Oh, it's definitely dated, as is the Vincent Price version - The Last Man On Earth, but I think both are worth seeing to get all the different takes on the original story. Having just seen the new movie tonight, I can say that I enjoy all the versions of the movie, but I'll always hold a soft spot for The Omega Man, because it's the one I saw first.
Old 12-27-07, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Was anyone else's theater lights timed perfectly with the ending speech? When she said something along the lines of the light shining in the darkness and bam! the theater lights came on. It was a nice touch.
I just watched the movie earlier today, and that happened here as well!
Old 12-27-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Oh, it's definitely dated, as is the Vincent Price version - The Last Man On Earth, but I think both are worth seeing to get all the different takes on the original story. Having just seen the new movie tonight, I can say that I enjoy all the versions of the movie, but I'll always hold a soft spot for The Omega Man, because it's the one I saw first.
Last Man on Earth was the first I saw and my favorite.
Old 12-27-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I still think it would be interested if they gave the book to say, Frank Darabont and had him make it in the same low budget vein the Mist was done in.
Old 12-27-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked this movie quite a bit. The nod to
Spoiler:
Batman vs. Superman was pretty cool
. This movie definitely has one of the better endings that I've seen.
Old 12-27-07, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One other thing I forgot to mention that I noticed at last night's screening, and apologies if someone else has mentioned it already - but it should be noted that the new movie's screenplay is not only based on the original book, but also on The Omega Man screenplay written by John William and Joyce Hooper Corrington. Yet another reason it's less like the original novel, and has several nods to Heston movie version.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.