Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie cliches revisited

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie cliches revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BrassyL
-- A character lies, cheats or otherwise misrepsents themselves to someone they are romantically interested in, by the end of the movie after the other character finds out, hates them, leaves or ends up at the airport. Then the liar chases them down, delivers a hearfelt speech and the other character forgives them and they hook-up again. Sometimes the liar is also stalking her and invading her life at every turn, sometimes costing her a job or a broken relationship with someone else, somehow she always gives in. Why doesn't a character call the cops, get on the plane for good, call the guy a lying scum and walk away forever. Some of these characters are downright scary and evil or just plain unlikable morons. Why do they ALWAYS get the girl.
This comes out of the "reformation paradigm" of early Hollywood classicism. For an incredibly interesting account of how early film censorship led to the proliferation of the happy-ending melodrama, see Lee Grieveson's Policing Cinema: Movies and Censorship in Early Twentieth-Century America.
Old 05-09-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When ever there is a driving scene the scene takes place minutes after it quits raining. Especially at night.
Old 05-09-06, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I posted this in the earlier one, but I think it's so wonderful.

You're walking around and a killer is on the loose (or something) and the tension is high. The tension is really really high. REALLY REALLY REALLY HIGH!!!

BAM!!! A cute cat busts out of the cabinet, yowling.

Last edited by Kudama; 05-09-06 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The main character almost does something bad, but his friend/girlfriend/whoever, believes he did it anyway, but eventually finds out the truth. I'd like to see more movies, where the main character does do something bad, and is still forgiven by the end. Make him a little flawed. Not just a few lies, or whatever. I'm talking some pretty flawed stuff.

Also, women having sex with their clothes on. One of the most ridiculous, is the Dawn of the Dead remake.

Last edited by Yeti4623; 06-29-06 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-28-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thought I'd bump this.
Old 06-28-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it's night and in the very next scene without any indication that a lot of time has passed, it's suddenly day. And I'm talking full day, not even a sunrise. Saw this recently in two crappy movies: Jumper (When they are driving the mercedes at night then suddenly it's broad day when they pull into the airport. So you can teleport about anywhere you please and you've just been driving all night?!) and Fool's Gold (After they dig up the grave in the middle of the night then they fight with some dudes and a minute later it's day.)

Another one is when a guy is chasing another guy on foot through city streets, subway stations, etc. and the chaser comes out of an alley or something and has to choose to turn right or left, he NEVER turns the wrong direction even though there is no sign of the person being chased.
Old 06-28-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

everything to do with firearms...

from the endless ammo...

to the 'cocking the gun or jacking a shotgun/rifle round' for the "he's serious!!!" effect... an example, even in 'Unforgiven', a movie i really like and a film that appeared to take some pains to be somewhat accurate with firearms... English Bob leaves the barber after yet another speech about how easy it is to kill a president, he is surrounded by the deputies of Little Bill... we are shown one very close with his rifle aimed menacingly right at Bill and his biographer... as Bill is questioning them he makes it to the writer, "you write letters and such?" so the writer goes for his book bag... then the guy with the menacing rifle 'racks' a round into the chamber, meaning, he had been standing there menacingly with an empty weapon confronting an expert gun hand, English Bob... several other deputies 'cock' their weapons too, meaning they were confronting a known gun hand with useless weapons...... this 'terrifying' event causes Mr. Beauchamp to piss on himself...

over and over this happens in films... where the 'cocking' scene is used as a trite and moronic 'he/she's SERIOUS' moment... and in many cases they are 'cocking' a double action weapon that need not have the hammer 'cocked' to fire... and in the rest, many many times with shotguns, it means they have just gone through a confrontation, or 'clearing a house', or etc. with an unloaded and useless shotgun...

bugs the hell out of me...
Old 06-29-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by taa455
When it's night and in the very next scene without any indication that a lot of time has passed, it's suddenly day. And I'm talking full day, not even a sunrise. Saw this recently in two crappy movies: Jumper (When they are driving the mercedes at night then suddenly it's broad day when they pull into the airport. So you can teleport about anywhere you please and you've just been driving all night?!) and Fool's Gold (After they dig up the grave in the middle of the night then they fight with some dudes and a minute later it's day.)
i noticed the night to day ting too and thought of how annoying it is when i watched both of those movies.
another tooth brushing thing.

they rarely use water either to start or to rinse off the toothpaste.
never rinsing out their mouth.
they just brush, then wipe off their mouth.

whenever a knife or sword touches anything it makes the sound or metal
sliding across metal.
knife comes out of a leather holder-- metal sound.
knife cutting into skin--metal sound
picking up a knife off a table--metal sound.
Old 06-29-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Characters who get easily knocked out.
Old 06-29-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Confrontation between two people...one of them (usually the antagonist, or some anti-hero) walks right up to their face...words are exchanged...the anti-hero takes an about face and walks away...a few steps are taken, then the anti-hero is told something stops him dead in their tracks and then slowly and dramatically turns around or looks over his shoulder at the person talking...

It happens in soap operas all the time, and sadly, in too many movies.