Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Friends with Money

Old 04-24-06, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Friends with Money

I went to see this movie last night because I was surprised by how well it was reviewed. The local paper gave it a bad review because the movie was "unconventional" and here I thought it would be, consider Ms. Aniston's lead role.

I doubt if Catherine Keener wasn't involved if I would've gone.

While I think talking about the movie as some sort of L.A. class treatise gives it bad-Crash-cash-in vibes, it's not really a Big Topic Movie, and that helps it keep it light when the subject matter isn't.

If you had any inclination to see it in theatres, I would urge you to go. Otherwise, catch it on DVD, you might like it.
Old 04-24-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't seen it myself, but my girlfriend (who has impeccable taste) seems to have thoroughly enjoyed it and discussed several aspects of it with me. I'm looking forward to catching it on HBO or DVD when the time comes.

Apparently this is the third of a triumvirate of similarly themed films by the director, Nicole Holofcener. The others were Walking And Talking, and Lovely And Amazing

Last edited by Numanoid; 04-24-06 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-28-06, 10:40 PM

I went to see this yesterday. I kinda loved it. I had no idea what it was about but it'd be hard to explain anyway. Great acting from the entire cast. I laughed out loud a few times. I really enjoyed it.
Old 04-29-06, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nerdboyrockstar
I went to see this yesterday. I kinda loved it. I had no idea what it was about but it'd be hard to explain anyway. Great acting from the entire cast. I laughed out loud a few times. I really enjoyed it.
I kinda loved it too. Although the stories were not alike, it reminded me of "Walking and Talking" a lot. Interesting dialogue too. Francis McDormand never disappoints.
Old 04-29-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't see either of those previous movies, so I can't compare.

I'm a huge fan of character-based movies even if nothing much happens in them. This movie left me a little cold. Maybe the reviews I read built it up to much for me. I expected great things from FM based on her work in the past and what I read about this movie. I though she really had only one decent scene.
Old 04-29-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This film was a little too goofy, mainly because Aniston's character has to be brain-dead to not know what the trainer-dude was doing to her (plus it was just a dumb, sad, subplot). The "is the husband gay or not" subplot got stale quick. The "my husband doesn't give a crap about me" subplot veered towards the too-self-involved territory for me. The "friend who is rich, but not quite willing to be my personal ATM" subplot just didn't do much for me either. The "depressed wife who rails against any form of personal slight from strangers" subplot was good for a few laughs, but elicited a "so what" reaction by the end of the day for me. Sure, it has a few good chuckles, but most of those are from me laughing AT the characters, not with the characters, never a good sign. This film probably produced too much unintended exasperation from me, thus my not really liking it enough to recommend it.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.